Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

What's your wing board quiver look like?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Raj

Since 13 Oct 2009
113 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Jul 11, 22 12:37 pm    What's your wing board quiver look like? Reply with quote

Wondering for those who are proficient on lower or neutral volume boards - do you still have a higher volume board in your quiver?

I'm debating whether to sell my 90L wingcraft after a few days on my 75L skywing.
I'm 74kg (suited up) using a lift 200 ha.

After learning on the 90l and now a few days on the 75l I'm absolutely hooked on the smaller board. Had zero issues stepping down except the increased effort to get to my feet. Carving/pumping swell, jibes, and the occaisonal tack are where I'm at in my learning--fully addicted.

Can't imagine wanting to ride the larger board anymore except, maybe for long downwinders? I want to start doing viento to hook downwinders asap and wondering if a larger board is helpful or not.

Do you still ride a larger volume board on certain days?

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostMon Jul 11, 22 1:16 pm     Reply with quote

have you had the 75L out on a BIG swell day? I find that there is a troublesome in-between volume of doesn't really float you, but can't sink it either. Very difficult to knee start in big swell. I went back to a shorter and wider 90L. Much happier.

Raj

Since 13 Oct 2009
113 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Jul 11, 22 2:53 pm     Reply with quote

Eric,
I was wondering about that. Not big, only waist high swell with it and noticed how tricky it was going from sitting to knees. Timing was key.

Was wondering if the swell got shoulder or higher if it would create more of a wind shadow while sitting in the water...making it harder to power up the wing for stability getting to knees and feet, or if the rocking of the water would be the issue.

So you ride both or are you 95L only now?

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostMon Jul 11, 22 3:05 pm     Reply with quote

Just riding the 90L at all times now including on the very biggest days and it's so much easier getting back up than the 75. Usually I am up on the first try using the Stink Bug start on the 90L in the bigger swell including the choppy mess by the green buoy just west of White Salmon. On the 75 L it was typically a 10 attempt see-saw from hell, with massive energy expenditure and strings of cussing that got long, anatomical, and loud.

At this point I'm convinced at my size (180 lbs) that it's 90L and/or FULL SINKER (40-45L) but the in-between is not fun on the big days, which are becoming my absolute favorite, just like in the days of windsurfing. I am not doing a sinker right now because I love being able to launch from HR and wing up to the good stuff vs drive to the Hatchery. It seems like most with full on sinkers end up driving to the location instead.

Doing the math, your Vol/weight ratio on a 75L is (L/lb) 0.46. Mine at 180 lbs on a 90L is 0.50 so you have about 9% less float than i do per lb on that 75L. I would call that significant, but not necessarily a game changer. That said, in my case if getting back up is a pain I tend to not to try stuff I want to learn and get tired much more quickly. I can do long sessions on the 90. I've played with stabilizers to tighten up the turn radius which I find makes more of a difference than board length.

I am fit, obsessed, like to be out a long time and work on stuff, but I am also 60, so my struggle to get up patience/ability may be shorter/less than yours if you're not in my demographic. Sounds like skill-wise we are closely matched.

Eric

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: