Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

OT: Medical travel ins Europe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostMon Jul 11, 22 5:53 am    OT: Medical travel ins Europe Reply with quote

Figured nwkite'ers may have some experience here. Looking for a solid Med Ins plan for a 23 yr old for three months this fall for Europe. Lots of options found on-line. Anyone had any good, or bad experiences with med coverage plans? He has MODA as primary so not sure if I want/can purchase a secondary for Europe, or if I can purchase a separate primary? I'll call MODA etc, but interested in what others have discovered.

Thanks,
Eric

jwnd

Since 22 Oct 2014
16 Posts
Bellingham

PostTue Jul 12, 22 5:32 am    OT: Medical travel insurance Reply with quote

Eric-
I am also curious about this topic as I have not shopped for plans in several years.
I've never had to cash in on any benefits so do not know about utility of these policies on that end, but have used this company for paragliding trips on and off again for last 18 years. They changed their coverage for WA residents (see below) so I need to find a new plan. I do know that not having coverage can get extremely costly if you need multiple seats on a plane, helicopter service, transfers, etc. re: medical evacuation services.
https://www.sevencorners.com/plans/travel-medical-insurance
800-335-0611
I called to verify coverage and they offer trip insurance as well as medical coverage, plus evacuation expenses which was my main consideration for buying this. For Washington State it is underwritten by United States Fire Insurance and they do not offer medical-only coverage per state law(!). You can get trip insurance with included medical coverage. For an upcoming trip I have it was something like $28 for 15 days with $100K per incident or $1M aggregate. Big drawback for Washington residents is they no longer offer coverage for "extreme sports" which in includes paragliding and "extreme kiting" (aka kiteboarding/winging).
For Oregon I think the rep stated they are underwritten by Lloyds of London, they offer medical-only coverage and do offer additional coverage for "extreme sports." Countries visited do not seem to change price of policies. In years past with that extra coverage I think a 2 week trip was like $70-80..

So, considering my trip to Peru is kite-centric I will be shopping for another company if you or others have any suggestions. I will ask around other pilots/kiters I know and relay if I find anything else. Please post if you find anything that offers better coverage.

Cheers

jasonq

Since 12 Jan 2009
242 Posts
hood river
Stoked

PostTue Jul 12, 22 8:53 am     Reply with quote

jwnd,
thanks for that. I too had use seven seas in the past and didn't know that the extreme sports waiver was no longer available to WA residents. I guess i am off on the search.
Please post to this thread if you find another company.

my main insurance should cover everything out of country, but the extra insurance is cheap, and my theory has always been i'd rather have a company that has done an emergency medical evacs before too.

jasonq

Since 12 Jan 2009
242 Posts
hood river
Stoked

PostThu Jul 14, 22 11:18 am     Reply with quote

jwnd,
here is the best option i found that looks good. kiteboarding is specifically covered. Alas base jumping and mountaineering above 7000m are excluded.

https://www.worldnomads.com/usa/travel-insurance/activities/surfing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: