Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Must you ride so close to my student
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
shredjim

Since 07 Jun 2006
186 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Jul 03, 07 12:17 am    Must you ride so close to my student Reply with quote

when I am obviously teaching a lesson?

It doesn't matter which side/tip of our BEAUTIFULLY CLEAN Sandbar I teach a lesson, it seems like many riders this year have no respect that my student has VERY little kite control and could wrap lines in a quick mistake. I motion to them to please give us some room and I get comments like "hey this is the only flat water in the area". I say BS to that because while you were attempting some lame tricks so close to shore when there is nobody there to watch you, Shawn Richman and the Slingshot team guys are riding in the real flat water in mouth of the Hood River. Look folks, we all get to use our great sandbar this summer, so please give some respect to lessons in play - ie give us some room PLEASE! Yea sure I also have jet skis and will use them in the students progression, but for a while there is absolutely NO reason to burn gas and deal with the hassle of using the ski when a sandy beach is better, just remember you were there once too Smile

Bonetti

Since 29 Apr 2007
411 Posts
So. Cal./Oregon
Obsessed

PostTue Jul 03, 07 4:44 am    NO reason to burn gas and deal with the hassle of using the Reply with quote

Sorry Guy quit being a tight wad and use your ski, its safer and the student will learn more! I mean how much do they pay for an hour lesson???? I ride where I want!!!!

trevorsmith

Since 25 Apr 2005
501 Posts
PDX
Addicted

PostTue Jul 03, 07 6:29 am     Reply with quote

Here is my take, right or wrong...

I saw this weekend someone was teaching some people at the edge of the point AKA "kiddie pool" and just above the "kiddie pool" . Neither of these places are a good place to learn. If that kitter loses control what is directly downwind of them? Land! This is not a good option. Just cause the logs are removed now does not mean it is "Safe"

As I saw several times the student get lofted just above the point, slam into the ground and/or shallow water, and slam the kite down about 25 ft from the point. This is not ideal for any student! or people at the point. The student should be in the water or at the water’s edge at all times, so they don't get slammed into the ground.

The only good option is lots of open water and no hard objects downwind.

West of Wells island, the wind is much nicer, wide open, shallow and fewer people. Now these are good options. Then the student can spend a lot of time focusing on the kite and their skills instead of worrying about running into people. I've seen a few of the schools teach up there, and probably for good reason.

Don't you have to have a ski in the water to teach lessons anyways at the spit? I thought it was the law.

boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jul 03, 07 6:39 am     Reply with quote

Last edited by boardrider on Tue Jul 03, 07 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostTue Jul 03, 07 7:44 am     Reply with quote

No kiddies in the kiddie pool.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostTue Jul 03, 07 7:55 am     Reply with quote

The mouth of the Hood River is money, just rig a size bigger and you'll have it made. Best flat water, Floras lake style offshore wind, it's the perfect spot shy of Wells Island. Not for beginners at all, current will keep you down wind if you're not lit.

There is an area of the Sandbar that is supposed to be for use of teaching as I understood it. Jim is the one who got this area cleaned up and I think he deserves a little respect for that. This isn't just for schools but also for us who bring friends to teach so it's not just about money.

trevorsmith

Since 25 Apr 2005
501 Posts
PDX
Addicted

PostTue Jul 03, 07 8:09 am     Reply with quote

And I am sure that all of us appreciate the clean up and the effort that he did to organize the clean up events. I sure do. But it does not change the fact that teaching up wind of land and people is a bad idea. I'm not saying kiddie pool is for "Pros" only "Get out of our pool". I'm saying its not safe, drop them out in the water and follow on a ski.

If you get taught by Floras Lake Will, he will not teach you in the shallows north end, but down past all of the windsurfers, and follow you in a ski. Because it is safer for everyone.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostTue Jul 03, 07 8:16 am     Reply with quote

I thought the beginner/school area was NW of the NW most part of the exposed sandbar where the water is shallow but there is only the water downwind of you and if you go downwind you pass by the mouth of the kiddie pool? Is this not the area we're talking about?

trevorsmith

Since 25 Apr 2005
501 Posts
PDX
Addicted

PostTue Jul 03, 07 8:28 am     Reply with quote

If you are to stand on the west end of the lower kiddie pool with avg water height and crash your kite, it will be in about 6 inches of water or onto land. and if it starts to drag the person, they will also be on land shortly.

With the new sandbar, there is:
Starting upwind..
the event site snad bar, then
upper kiddie pool
small strip of land
Lower kiddie pool
Lots of land
Hood River
small island
Columbia river/HR mouth

and since there is about a 45 degree angle from event site sand bar out east is land, there almost always land and people downwind. And it is all about 1ft to 2 ft deep at best.

IMO - the North East tip of Kiddie pool, is probably your best bet, because you can wade out pretty far waist deep, and have no land directly downwind of you.

When you teaching and a student crashes they should not be eating sand for lunch.

boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jul 03, 07 8:32 am     Reply with quote

... I'm out - I'm just not into this.
Last edited by boardrider on Tue Jul 03, 07 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total

kss

Since 24 Apr 2006
613 Posts
pdx
Addicted

PostTue Jul 03, 07 8:43 am     Reply with quote

word, chris!

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostTue Jul 03, 07 8:47 am     Reply with quote

trevorsmith wrote:

IMO - the North East tip of Kiddie pool, is probably your best bet, because you can wade out pretty far waist deep, and have no land directly downwind of you.

Yea, this is where I take Katie to do her tacks. Not the most ideal place as the current there is pretty wretched due to the eddy ends up pushing you pretty fast downwind.

Bodhi

Since 03 Jul 2007
1 Posts

PostTue Jul 03, 07 9:30 am     Reply with quote

A few thoughts....

The professional instructors at the Sand Bar know what they are doing and where to teach their students.

Why would you want to ride near where people are learning? Why even take the chance of a wreck or have the hassle of trying to get around them. There is so much room on the river, even on a crowded day. Just ride up to Wells Island and throw your big tricks there.

Bonetti

Since 29 Apr 2007
411 Posts
So. Cal./Oregon
Obsessed

PostTue Jul 03, 07 9:36 am    A few thoughts.... Reply with quote

Think about this buddie, students pay a price for safety and it should be up to the instructor to place them in a safe spot as in up wind with a ski!!! Plus why should I ride way up wind when I'm not the a beginner who might Lose control and take everone out downwind of me?

trevorsmith

Since 25 Apr 2005
501 Posts
PDX
Addicted

PostTue Jul 03, 07 9:42 am     Reply with quote

Bodhi wrote:
A few thoughts....

The professional instructors at the Sand Bar know what they are doing and where to teach their students.

Why would you want to ride near where people are learning? Why even take the chance of a wreck or have the hassle of trying to get around them. There is so much room on the river, even on a crowded day. Just ride up to Wells Island and throw your big tricks there.

Why would you teach were there is land and people downwind and throwing tricks.
Thats like having drivers ed training at the race track during a NASCAR event!

Why would you not have a ski ready for your "Professional" lesson. I think you are required to have one. Cause I can tell you the only ski's I see there are my friends.

Also upwinders are not my idea of fun kiteboarding. Spending time to get up to Wells Island is so not worth it unless I can get a ski ride up there.

Trevor--

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostTue Jul 03, 07 9:42 am     Reply with quote

Bodhi wrote:
Just ride up to Wells Island and throw your big tricks there.

I have to disagree; if you were truly a pimping instructor, you would take your student up to wells island on your jetski and provide a safer and less stressful environment for him/her to learn and give the rest of the people who just come to the spit to enjoy themselves a break from all the body dragers and tea baggers.

There is room for everyone, and believe me, I am just as annoyed as the next person with some people that just have to try to impress others by hucking low probability of success moves directly offshore but you must remember, the spit is primarily for recreation not private enterprise.

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jul 03, 07 9:51 am     Reply with quote

Chris shredjim isnt the owner of the red kiteschool with the grass. That is mark and he is actually a super nice guy and instuctor. Get your crap straight before you start talking it. When an instructor is yelling at you, it isnt because they are mad, or really even care. But teaching someone is a stressful thing, especially when there is someone straight down wind that your new student could easily accidently crash into. I dont think wrapping kites is safe for the student or their progression, or really safe for anyone at all. If you need to ride downwind of a new student, just get outta there quick, if you dont have to ride downwind of them, then avoid it. Not everyone learning to kite is gonna go upwind on a jet ski anyways.

Believe me, Its not like I like having to deal with new learners right in the way, but its something that we all have to deal with. I learned not that long ago and I just try and give new students the same respect that was given to me when I learned.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: