Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

summer east winds this weekend

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jun 23, 22 6:51 am    summer east winds this weekend Reply with quote

hey its a good easterly forecast for this weekend and stevenson will probably be crowded. just a heads up, water levels are high so launching area is tight, current is strong and there are tribal fishing nets out. east winds can be challenging if you can't maintain ground. make sure to carry a kite knife in the event you need to use it for yourself or someone in distress. plus the water is still a bit chilly.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostThu Jun 23, 22 9:05 am    Re: summer east winds this weekend Reply with quote

stringy wrote:
hey its a good easterly forecast for this weekend and stevenson will probably be crowded. just a heads up, water levels are high so launching area is tight, current is strong and there are tribal fishing nets out. east winds can be challenging if you can't maintain ground. make sure to carry a kite knife in the event you need to use it for yourself or someone in distress. plus the water is still a bit chilly.

Thumb's Up Thumb's Up Thumb's Up

Great preemptive advice Stringy! You're always looking out for others.

Good times, safe sessions, and smooth winds to all this coming weekend.

windpig

Since 28 Aug 2008
260 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Jun 23, 22 6:38 pm     Reply with quote

If the folks that were at the Event Site today come out there... Look out! It was madness today!

Big props to the launch crew out there today though! They earned... well, they're volunteers so... A shitload of beer I guess!

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jun 23, 22 9:12 pm     Reply with quote

Covid is back. Unless you are a skamania county resident the launch is closed Smile! Practicing like the kooks of Mosier. !!

coupdevill

Since 09 Mar 2016
260 Posts
Hood River, OR
Obsessed

PostFri Jun 24, 22 9:07 am    RE: Event Site lunch & Land Reply with quote

windpig wrote:
If the folks that were at the Event Site today come out there... Look out! It was madness today!

Big props to the launch crew out there today though! They earned... well, they're volunteers so... A shitload of beer I guess!

From the Event Site Host:

Your humble HR Event Site host here. Breaking my FB embargo to bring you this important message. The Port of Hood River graciously opened the grass for launching due to high water and a buried sandbar. The kiting area was crazy over the holiday weekend (yes, Monday was a holiday and the crowd proved it). It mostly worked well and most people were cool and cooperative. There are always a few who were not. Scorpios never forget! 😁 But I do forgive.
We’ve come up with a system that works … hopefully. I say “we” because the locals and regulars have had great ideas. Suffice to say we have designated areas for pumping, rigging and launching and landing. Come check it out and please follow protocol. Or feel free to swim out to the sandbar. 🙄
To the point: I’m looking for volunteers to help launch and land kites and spread the word and good vibes. People like Tommy Fliss, Mike Mike Gibbens and “Sarge” Tony have stepped up but we need more people to volunteer in shifts to help out. You get a Port hat (while supplies last) and orange vest and Slingshot Kite will throw in a tshirt. DM me, reply here or look me up at the ES if interested. And thanks to everyone for helping out.

coup

Hatchetthrower

Since 20 Mar 2013
43 Posts

PostFri Jun 24, 22 9:47 am     Reply with quote

A thread on the sauvie island facebook had some pics of the high water at rooster. It looks pretty impossible to ride there. The high water looks to make even a drift launch impossible. Perhaps a winger would make it out alright but the amount of submerged stuff and fast current might make that super dangerous too.

I am going to head to broughton beach by PDX saturday morning assuming the wind fills in there which it should. The currrent may be too much and make staying upwind impossible but I'll try to make a few tacks and see if I can hold any ground.

rooster water.jpg 

trailboss

Since 08 Aug 2006
95 Posts
HR

PostSun Jun 26, 22 5:47 pm    What happened to the tree? Reply with quote

Did this just happen today?

https://www.visitstevensonwa.com/live-kite-cam/

tree.jpg 

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostSun Jun 26, 22 6:26 pm    WTF HAPPENED TO THE TREE? Reply with quote

Sad to see this, I loved sitting in the shade of that tree.

hilton

Since 15 Aug 2008
787 Posts

Opinionated

PostSun Jun 26, 22 7:47 pm     Reply with quote

In case you missed the history of the tree.

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-35811.html

Impressive it survived as long as it did.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSun Jun 26, 22 8:20 pm    Re: What happened to the tree? Reply with quote

trailboss wrote:
Did this just happen today?

Shocked Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostMon Jun 27, 22 6:06 am     Reply with quote

End of an era... you will be missed.

www.naishkites.com

windpig

Since 28 Aug 2008
260 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Jun 27, 22 8:43 am     Reply with quote

Noooooo!

Any woodworkers out there? Memorial Bench?

Since 08 Feb 2018
12 Posts

PostMon Jun 27, 22 9:21 am    not your typical tree Reply with quote

Sad to see the tree gone. That tree endured epic hardships and managed to hang in there for as long as I've been kiting Stevenson, 20 plus years.

stevensontree55.jpg 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: