Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Good Leash Set Up For Beg. Who Like their Boards.
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostTue Jul 03, 07 7:35 pm     Reply with quote

were not trying to fool you into ditching your leash. But to each their own, didn't mean to shame. Shocked

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostTue Jul 03, 07 7:40 pm     Reply with quote

registered wrote:
were not trying to fool you into ditching your leash. But to each their own, didn't mean to shame. Shocked

Oh no worries man. Kodiak's description did make me pause and think for a moment - is the leash actually worth it. Of course I can body drag upwind - its just more convenient not to.

But I can totally see how the incident with Kodiak could happen to me. I'll be out at the spit tomorrow - I'll see how it goes.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4204 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostWed Jul 04, 07 6:46 am     Reply with quote

I'll have to admit that I used a board leash as a beginner. This was while I was still trying to get up and ride. As soon as I was riding I got rid of the leash. Having said that, I don't think it was a good idea, knowing what I know now.

Some beginners are going to use board leashes. Some beginners will be hurt by their boards. It's tempting, because it can accelerate your learning curve. (Less time spent getting your board, more time learning to get up.) I always thought "As long as I keep it slow, and don't actually start riding, I'll be OK." (It took me a while to develop my board skills to the point I could actually ride further than 10 feet without falling.) The problem with that thinking is I could have been pulled downwind fast enough to cause problems.

Leashed boards have killed people. What more can be said? A helmet offers some protection, but not enough to justify wearing a board leash. Would you let someone take a swing at your head with a dull axe just because you're wearing a helmet? That is effectively what you're doing by wearing a board leash.

Kiteboarding is dangerous. We all know that, and accept it. There is a risk taken with every jump, with every launch, with every landing. We use knowledge and learned skills to mitigate the dangers. If you pile unnecessary risks--like wearing a board leash--on top of the risk you're already taking, you're stacking the deck against yourself.

All of that said, wearing a board leash is a personal decision. No one is going to tell anyone they can't use a board leash. If you've made that decision, accept the risks that go with it. I would ask though that you refrain from posting why you think a leash is OK for you. Beginners read this forum and might be swayed by your post. If a rider is going to make the decision to wear a board leash, it should be after they themselves have sufficient skill, knowledge and experience to make that decision.

Nak

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostWed Jul 04, 07 1:24 pm     Reply with quote

terremoto wrote:
No, its actually a matter of basic physics. Energy cannot be destroyed - but it can be disipated. If you pull on a bungee with 10 pounds of force - it will snap back with 9 pounds of force. This is because the bungee is not 100% efficient. Some of the energy is disipated - For example, some of the energy gets turned into heat and sound. So the bungee acts as an energy absorbing part of the leash.

It is a basic function of physics but unfortunately, you are quoting an incorrect tenant of physics. The proper one is Newtons 3rd law of motion that states every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. The amount of energy lost in the effciency of the bungee is extremely, extremely slight.

Ever hear of that old fashioned energy disapating device called a slingshot?

That's what your bungie leash effectively is, I should know, I have been clocked in the noggin with a leashed board.

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostWed Jul 04, 07 10:54 pm     Reply with quote

As much name calling that went on on this thread - I am surprised I actually got a lot out of it.

I appreciate people taking the time out to voice their opinions and give actual description as to the dangers of the leash. Sharing information can be very effective - personal attacks on the other hand probably have the opposite effect.

And PMB - thanks for the correction on my physics Smile

pdxmonkeyboy wrote:
terremoto wrote:
No, its actually a matter of basic physics. Energy cannot be destroyed - but it can be disipated. If you pull on a bungee with 10 pounds of force - it will snap back with 9 pounds of force. This is because the bungee is not 100% efficient. Some of the energy is disipated - For example, some of the energy gets turned into heat and sound. So the bungee acts as an energy absorbing part of the leash.

It is a basic function of physics but unfortunately, you are quoting an incorrect tenant of physics. The proper one is Newtons 3rd law of motion that states every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. The amount of energy lost in the effciency of the bungee is extremely, extremely slight.

Ever hear of that old fashioned energy disapating device called a slingshot?

That's what your bungie leash effectively is, I should know, I have been clocked in the noggin with a leashed board.

boredbrain

Since 16 Feb 2006
352 Posts
Hood River
Obsessed

PostThu Jul 05, 07 1:49 am     Reply with quote

Have a nice gash now scar in my back when the leash broke away from the board, through wetsuit even.

Great in therory, bad in practice.

Could of been worse.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostThu Jul 05, 07 8:35 am     Reply with quote

NP Terra. When I started to learn, almost everyone wore leashes. I had both a coiled da-kine leash and later, a retractable leash. Flying kites made in 2002 usually meant allot of tea bagging (at least for me). Most of the time the board ended up "pluggin" and trying to head to the surface. (thus the energy is being dissipated by the drag of the water) When the board stays on the surface however, you can have some serious problems.

People can do want they want, and they do. But its just one of those things..if there is a chance of getting seriously hurt and no real NEED for it; why bother?

Most of the time you can park your kite straight overhead and nothing goes wrong, and you can always depower, and theree is the quick release safety system.... Yet people still die because of it.

Cheers.
PMB

bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostSun Jul 08, 07 7:42 pm    Leash on bungee works because bungee breaks thus no kick.. Reply with quote

Hey, this thread is really amazing. The one thing that I find interesting is that most of you guys don't use a leash, but you are expert in what happens when you lose control with a leash. When is the last time you used a leash? Based on all your blah blah not very f*^&^'n often..right??

My set up works great! The bungee is not a full on bungee. It has 3 cords measuring less than a coupld of milimeters. THEY BREAK REALLY EASY!!

This set up on a recoil leash has never hit my legs or any part of my body. I have been hit in the ass by the leash recoil unit hanging off my kite leash strap.

I advocate the use of leashes for people who don't want to spend a ton of time superman dragging for their board. I also think that this builds confidence when on the coast.

Just thought I would put my opinion on the thread..

Later,
Ron Razz

pura vida one

Since 22 May 2007
80 Posts

PostSun Jul 08, 07 7:56 pm    funny timing Reply with quote

i don't check in here all the time, but saw this post and just happen to see a leash on a novice at the coast today. she was being taught by her guy... this was a gnarly 6' springy cord leash - dangerous.
also saw a guy get launched who didn't know right of way, signals for landing or launching, or just about anything. he was flying a 13 and 'just body dragging'. sketchy! i tried to educate him; he listened but in the end was set on launching. you see his friend had been giving him lessons... this is a dangerous fucking sport.
i don't think it's fair to say their will never be a good leash system. people are ready to drop the hammer here.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostSun Jul 08, 07 8:14 pm    Amazing moments in board leash history Part I Reply with quote

Board leash ripped off my ear (well not my ear but a dude in Florida) when the brass attachment clip snapped on impact a rippped back to him - They took my ear! THe board leash took my ear!

More fun with leashes.

Xmas in La Ventana - our neighbor at Capt Kirks has a great first experience kiteboarding last year - his first time up on a board - he goes his first 100yrds - I'm a kiteboarder, weeeeeee - falls, nothing hellacious, turns to collect his board - and what do you know - his board leash works perfectly returning his board right into his skull - splits his helmut in two and 30 stitches later and super glue to the head he is rearing to go again -just not with that leash thing - those really really suck.

Board leash don't do it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

trevorsmith

Since 25 Apr 2005
501 Posts
PDX
Addicted

PostSun Jul 08, 07 9:02 pm     Reply with quote

I am a little surprised bulea99 that you say we don't wear leashes...we DID wear leashes when we started..because that is what people did not knowing any better. after several incidents people changed their minds and see that risk benefit is not there.

and that is the other point I thought we had covered already..if the leash breaks what is the point you have to drag after your board anuways.

and then you follow up with it never hits my body..but it has snap me in the ass. I'm no doctor but isn't your ass part of your body? what if instead of your ass it was your eye ball?
and just cause it hasn't doesn't mean it can't or won't.

Besides you liking drama on the forum, people are stating reasons why they are bad to wear and why beginners should not wear them from personal or friends on stories how they are a bad idea. that is why we don't anymore. risk benefit is just not there for a few mins dragging during a session.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4204 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSun Jul 08, 07 9:14 pm    Re: Leash on bungee works because bungee breaks thus no kick Reply with quote

bulae99 wrote:
Hey, this thread is really amazing. The one thing that I find interesting is that most of you guys don't use a leash, but you are expert in what happens when you lose control with a leash. When is the last time you used a leash? Based on all your blah blah not very f*^&^'n often..right??

Razz

Ron,

A number of folks on here have related personal stories of injuries caused by board leashes. Obviously they have used board leashes and decided through experience that it was a bad idea.

I used to use a board leash. I used one while I was doing testing for a Kiteboarding product of mine. During this testing, I crashed kites in every way imaginable. I crashed kites while riding. I crashed kites while body dragging. I crashed kites on the beach. I intentionally mis-rigged kites and got yarded. I rigged kites to go into a "death spiral. I battered and bruised myself time and time again. During some of these crashes, I was wearing a board leash. In short, I've probably been through more crashes than just about anybody. So, while I'm an intermediate Kiteboarder, perhaps I qualify as an "expert" in this arena?

bulae99 wrote:
My set up works great! The bungee is not a full on bungee. It has 3 cords measuring less than a coupld of milimeters. THEY BREAK REALLY EASY!!

Razz

Your setup HAS worked great. Unfortunately, if it EVER fails to work great, even just once, that will probably be one too many times. This is your decision, and I will make no attempt to change your mind. Your risk, your decision.

bulae99 wrote:
I advocate the use of leashes for people who don't want to spend a ton of time superman dragging for their board. I also think that this builds confidence when on the coast.

Just thought I would put my opinion on the thread..

Later,
Ron Razz

While you're free to make your own decisions, it is worse than irresponsible that you "advocate" the use of a board leash. Why not let beginner's come to this decision on their own, after acquiring the experience needed to make a rational decision? By "advocating" use of a board leash here on an open forum, some poor newbie may be swayed by your flawed and foolish arguments. Not knowing any better, off they'll ride content in their safety. Will you support their children if they're killed following your advice? No? Then shut up. Do what you want, but leave others to make that decision on their own.

Are you an "expert"? What tests have you done? What instrumentation did you use? What are the failure modes of your system? What is the breaking strength of your system? ("Really easy" doesn't cut it.) What conditions might alter your results? To what speed might a board be accelerated to at a force equal to 98% of worst case? If you don't know the answers to these questions, and a lot more, you've got no business "advocating" something that clearly is considered dangerous by the vast majority of riders.

bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostMon Jul 09, 07 8:11 am    It's a choice that each person has to make on their own. Reply with quote

There are tons of different types of leashes! What type has caused the injuries? When is the last time you guys used a leash set up? What was that set up?

As far as my "advocating" the use of a leash set up for beg, and int. kiters I would say that it works for me.

I'm not an expert. I don't pretend to be an expert, but I know what works for me.

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostThu Sep 06, 07 10:40 am     Reply with quote

I wanted to follow up on this post.

Prior to reading this thread I used a reel leash with a system that would pop off under high stress. I though it was safe and figured other kiters didn't use one for the same reason a lot of experienced kiters don't use helmets or vests - it doesn't look cool.

However, after reading this thread I have decided to dump my leash when I ride. I actually prefer riding without a leash - it is much less cumbersome.

I still keep a leash attached to my harness only when I need to self-rescue - its a hell of a lot easier to self-rescue if you can forget about your board and focus your attention on your lines and kite. I also keep the leash around when the winds have died and I can't get my kite back up. Again - its much easier to focus on my kite. I won't advocate that this is a good idea - but its just something that I do. I do understand there is still some risk involved even using it under these limited circumstances.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostThu Sep 06, 07 10:51 am     Reply with quote

[quote="terremoto"] the same reason a lot of experienced kiters don't use helmets or vests - it doesn't look cool. [/quote

I don't think looks has anything to do with it. I think it has a lot to do with freedom and comfort. I hate the way safety jackets feel-- especially when its warm out and I know many people who feel the same way. Same goes for the helmet.

Where what you want to wear, and that includes leashes. But if you are using such things, don't reinforce the idea that others are not wearing them because they are "too cool" to be safe.

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostThu Sep 06, 07 10:55 am     Reply with quote

pdxmonkeyboy wrote:

Where what you want to wear, and that includes leashes. But if you are using such things, don't reinforce the idea that others are not wearing them because they are "too cool" to be safe.

PMB - it was my perception of the situation thats all. Of course there are many kiters out there and there are many different reasons why people wear and don't wear certain items. For you - you don't wear them for comfort reasons - which is just as legitimate as any other reason. But there are other kiters out there who don't like the way they look - which again is just as valid of a reason as anything else.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostThu Sep 06, 07 11:30 am     Reply with quote

ok dokee. Sorry if I got a little aggressive, just seemed like people were jumping on the "you guys are too cool" trip. Which pisses me off because nothing could be further than the truth.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: