Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

your priorities can change fast
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Spike

Since 13 May 2007
1414 Posts
Alameda
Spelling Expert

PostThu Jun 28, 07 7:36 pm    your priorities can change fast Reply with quote

Lost my board for the first time today at Stevenson! Lost it on a wipe out trying a jump in the channel. Thought the wind and the current would counteract each other and keep it in the same place, guess not Sad. Was dragging around in the waves for must have been at least half an hour, freaking out "oh no, my $400 board!" then while searching the channel, the wind died, and there I was with my kite trailing edge in the water in the middle of the channel, with little hope of getting it back in the air. "oh no, my life!" Things seemed to go from what seemed bad, to badder really quick. Some frantic pulling on the leading edge got it up and out of the water after a few minutes. Barely managed to drag in, just as Amery was headed out on a glide. Apparently the shore crew had seen the show, and tracked my board, I was WAY off, it had floated at least 150 yards downriver. He manged to bring it back in, THANKS DUDE! I owe ya! Laughing Reality check for sure.

EdG

Since 19 Dec 2005
424 Posts
Just a Kook that's
Obsessed

PostThu Jun 28, 07 7:57 pm    Re: your priorities can change fast Reply with quote

Spike wrote:
Lost my board for the first time today at Stevenson! Lost it on a wipe out trying a jump in the channel. Thought the wind and the current would counteract each other and keep it in the same place, guess not Sad. Was dragging around in the waves for must have been at least half an hour, freaking out "oh no, my $400 board!" then while searching the channel, the wind died, and there I was with my kite trailing edge in the water in the middle of the channel, with little hope of getting it back in the air. "oh no, my life!" Things seemed to go from what seemed bad, to badder really quick. Some frantic pulling on the leading edge got it up and out of the water after a few minutes. Barely managed to drag in, just as Amery was headed out on a glide. Apparently the shore crew had seen the show, and tracked my board, I was WAY off, it had floated at least 150 yards downriver. He manged to bring it back in, THANKS DUDE! I owe ya! Laughing Reality check for sure.

Similar thing happened to me on my first day on my gear! I lost my board, but got back on the water next paycheck Laughing

climberusa

Since 14 May 2007
47 Posts
Spokane, WA

PostThu Jun 28, 07 10:00 pm     Reply with quote

It's been interesting for me to read this forum and see you start out as a new kiter and progressing so quickly. It's also been inspiring as I'm still waiting to get a chance to get on my brand new dust-collecting board.

Glad you're ok and not out the $$.

Oh, and nice pics from Stevenson!

gabe

Since 16 May 2005
475 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Jun 28, 07 11:10 pm     Reply with quote

it's worth putting some time into practicing upwind body dragging and getting more comfortable and efficient at it. as long as your kite's in the air you should have the perspective that you can always get back to your board. if you drop the kite, it can be different. i've seen too many people who have been kiting for a while never really develop decent body dragging experience and then run into real problems when they get pulled far from a board or are in unfamiliar conditions. it's kind of like self rescuing--people can ignore it for a long time and still kite a lot, but eventually it will catch up. either you lose a board, or become reliant on people saving it all the time. just like edging a board to get upwind, there's a certain feel to body dragging efficiently. once you do it a bit it's very easy, but the first time isn't always obvious. if you know the board's upwind of you, then just get upwind and spot in when you get closer. i think a common problem is people look around for the board for a long time in mild panic, all the while they are getting pulled further away. get in the general direction (usually upwind) first. with swells, you may not see it until you get close.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostThu Jun 28, 07 11:44 pm     Reply with quote

sounds like the gorge to me.

Good points by Gabe. Do you know how to use your leading arm like a rudder? You can get upwind in a hurry that way.

Spike

Since 13 May 2007
1414 Posts
Alameda
Spelling Expert

PostFri Jun 29, 07 6:33 am     Reply with quote

The problem is not with body dragging, I can body drag upwind just fine, spent an entire lesson on it. The problem is with knowing where to body drag to. My board was upside down and as you can see in the pics the bottom is black with white fins. In the waves it looks like just another white-cap. I was about 30 ft downwind of it when I either dragged past it or simply lost track of it. After some more body dragging I wasn't sure wheater or not I was upwind or downwind of it or lef tor right of it. The waves make it a pain to keep track of your board. Wish the bottom of my board was bright orange like those slingshot boards. There wouldn't be a way to paint it would there?

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6549 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostFri Jun 29, 07 7:10 am     Reply with quote

Spike wrote:
The problem is not with body dragging, I can body drag upwind just fine, spent an entire lesson on it. The problem is with knowing where to body drag to. My board was upside down and as you can see in the pics the bottom is black with white fins. In the waves it looks like just another white-cap. I was about 30 ft downwind of it when I either dragged past it or simply lost track of it. After some more body dragging I wasn't sure wheater or not I was upwind or downwind of it or lef tor right of it. The waves make it a pain to keep track of your board. Wish the bottom of my board was bright orange like those slingshot boards. There wouldn't be a way to paint it would there?

One thing I always found helpful is if I try to spot my board as soon as the crash is over (before starting to body drag) it helps. Once you start body dragging around you really lose feeling for where you were when you lost the board. YRMV

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostFri Jun 29, 07 7:33 am     Reply with quote

Also, when you fall, try to go into a body drag immediately. If that's not possible spread out your body to create as much drag as possible. Then you'll know that you're still very close to the board.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2062 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostFri Jun 29, 07 8:48 am    Re: your priorities can change fast Reply with quote

Spike wrote:
Lost my board Reality check for sure.

Yo Spike: The dark, cold, alone feeling you had, kite in the water, no board to be seen, is a harsh lesson, but it will stay with you for a long time. It happens to us all. It also happens out at the coast. . . Loose your board outside the break where the wind might be lighter and or there is some current f-ing things up. I hate it when that happens, but to panic just costs one energy and ops to retrieve ones board.

By no means am I the best or worse at getting my board back, but there are a few principles I try to use to get my board back as quickly possible.

After a crash, losing only the board I:

1) Locate the board and or general area where it is.

2) Then I either tack away from my board (assuming it is upwind of my position) and or pass below it and tack away. I depends on current and where the wind is strongest. I might even have to work the kite (figure 8 it) to generate more power if the wind is light. I use the classic arm as a keel technique, counting 1000 1, 1000 2, etc . . .I will count up to about 1 minute and tack back towards the boards location, all the while counting 1000 1, 1000 2 etc. I have found longer tacks and quick transitions incur the least amount of position lost relative to ones board. It seems somewhat counterintuitive to go away from ones board and out of sight of it, but short quick little tacks eat up progress made and when ones kite is flying up around 12 o'clock, you have little leverage against the kites power and loose position.

If the current is going against the wind, the longer one waits, the more ground they will have to make up body dragging. . . This is especially true when one is kiting in a coastal bay on an ebb tide or an ocean rip.

As for losing sight of your board, my board is mostly white with some red and blue. I don't the white color because it makes it a bItch to see, especially in the white water from the ocean waves. I think red, yellow or orange are the best colors for a board because they are the easiest to see in the water--IMHO.

Hope this helps. Shred on!

Spike

Since 13 May 2007
1414 Posts
Alameda
Spelling Expert

PostFri Jun 29, 07 9:07 am     Reply with quote

Sasquatch, thanks for that advice, never thought about counting during each tack. will definately use that tecnique from now on. Also, the waves make it hard to go upwind efficiently, I had to eat waay to much columbia water and could hardly see anything in all the whitecaps washing over me.

Tony

Since 28 Aug 2006
940 Posts
Portland
Opinionated

PostFri Jun 29, 07 9:12 am     Reply with quote

Reality is, at some point, you might really end up loosing your board...Especially in the gorge (like rufus in the spring)...Sh** man, I lost a board one time, and it wasn't even mine...I still had to fork out the 500 bucks to replace it...
Over all, I totally agree with PKH...Look for that shit as soon as crash man...chances are, your only a few feet away than a few hundred yards...You'll spend less time swimming...This works for me...
But if the current is crank'n and you are not able to get your board by body dragging...and your getting tired-you've done all you can, don't worry about it...It's just a board...Sometimes shit happens...

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2062 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostFri Jun 29, 07 9:22 am     Reply with quote

Spike wrote:
Also, the waves make it hard to go upwind efficiently, I had to eat waay to much columbia water and could hardly see anything in all the whitecaps washing over me.

That is kind of the name of the game if you want to get your gear back and there is no one else to help out. If you count, you don't need to look until your right in the area of the board, so you can close you mouth and/ or eyes, look away from the waves and wind and focus on keeping that arm down as a keel and making up-wind progress by flying/working the kite.

I also forgot to mention that sometimes it is easier in the ocean, if one loses their board inside the break, to just come to shore and walk back upwind a bit to gain position relative to ones board, then go back out. I count when i do this as well, however, the counting can be skewed due to the waves pushing you in faster than you can get back out, so you need to adjust your count a bit when going out for the board.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostFri Jun 29, 07 10:31 am     Reply with quote

Don't be afraid to keep your kite low, take a deep breath and drag with your head underwater and body as straight as possible.

tory

Since 08 Apr 2007
14 Posts
Hood River, OR

PostFri Jun 29, 07 11:50 am     Reply with quote

dude, just paint your board. Go buy a can or two of bright spray paint and have a hay day. No biggie. Everyone, pro or beginer have lost there board some time or another. It's just what comes along with the learning process i guess. Been dragged face first down the beach yet? If not, you will.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostFri Jun 29, 07 1:53 pm    Re: your priorities can change fast Reply with quote

Sasquatch wrote:

Yo Spike: The dark, cold, alone feeling you had, kite in the water, no board to be seen, is a harsh lesson, but it will stay with you for a long time

yeah Spike wait until the shit goes off at rooster rock this fall. Nuc-tac-u-lar winds sand blasting you and burying your shoes during your session; dark foreboding clouds, mean ass cold gusts. There is something about it that is just viscous, mean, and very fun. Twisted Evil

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostFri Jun 29, 07 2:08 pm     Reply with quote

This is a good thread.
I'm in my first year with kiting. All my friends use the board reel leash, and I'm trying to break that habit. I am good at up-wind body dragging, it's just precisely what you all are saying with regards to freaking when I loose sight of my board.
I wondered if the industry has some bright BRIGHT BRIGHT day-glo fins. That would help.

bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostFri Jun 29, 07 5:57 pm    Why not wear a leash? Reply with quote

I still use a retracting leash. I attach a mini bungie, ya know the ones with red ball and an 8 inch elastic loop. This keeps the leash from bass bobbing when I'm being pulled too fast and will break if stressed.

* See attached Picture

If I get ripped away from the board and the black ball pops off the elastic loop it keeps the board close to me. When I'm on the coast this is a really nice thing and has saved my ass from some long body drags in big fish water.

I don't need my leash, but it comes in really handy when I do.

Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: