Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

OT: repair separating heel on snowboard boot?
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostMon Feb 14, 22 11:12 am    OT: repair separating heel on snowboard boot? Reply with quote

So I love my Clickers (lol) and can't easily replace these boots. This weekend I notice the heel coming up on my back foot and sure enough the sole is separating from the rest of the boot.

It doesn't appear that anything but some sort of glue was attaching the sole to the rest of the boot.

Thoughts on how to fix?

20220214_110335.jpg 

Pete

Since 29 Oct 2007
829 Posts

Opinionated

PostMon Feb 14, 22 11:51 am    reglue Reply with quote

with shoe goo

Or take it to a shoe repair shop

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostMon Feb 14, 22 11:59 am    Re: reglue Reply with quote

Pete wrote:
with shoe goo

Or take it to a shoe repair shop

Thanks Pete, I was wondering if Shoe Goo would be strong enough...and so far I can't find a repair shop that answers their phone but will keep trying...

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Feb 14, 22 1:40 pm     Reply with quote

Seems like there ought to be some way to secure that by extending some screws through the bottom of the boot. If they were located under an arch support pad I doubt you would feel them.

Perhaps you could screw them in to the orange plastic/rubber pieces supporting your binding mounts.

***EDIT***
After further thought it might make more sense to screw into the black tread. Looks like lots of material there to hold a screw.

**EDIT 2***
Also, in case it's not clear. I'm thinking that you might try screwing from the inside of the boot towards the sole so the screw head is pointing at your feet. The other way might be a bit painful Shocked

clickers.png 

jasonq

Since 12 Jan 2009
242 Posts
hood river
Stoked

PostMon Feb 14, 22 2:05 pm     Reply with quote

i'd contact dave page

https://davepagecobbler.com

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Feb 14, 22 2:09 pm     Reply with quote

Why not try Shoe Goo along with some drilled holes where one can place and cinch down some beefy zip-ties. maybe a zip-tie on each side of each boot, so a total of 4 per boot. Make sure to glue the holes after the zip-ties are cinched so snow/water can't get in the inside of the boot. 8'' or 10'' snap-ties.
Last edited by Sasquatch on Mon Feb 14, 22 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

mikeinhoodriver

Since 23 Apr 2009
387 Posts
down wind somewhere
Obsessed

PostMon Feb 14, 22 2:26 pm     Reply with quote

Time to update to this century.. Very Happy

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostMon Feb 14, 22 3:55 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks Big John, I had the same though but I think I'd need bolts with T-nuts to screw into and getting the length right will be tough. Maybe the orange stuff would hold a screw thread. I just tried to unscrew those clicker binding pieces and they're no torx. some propietary head?

Sasquach, good idea with the zip ties.

Mike, call me ol' fashioned but why do I want to plop my butt in the cold snow at the top of every run? Smile I also like clicking in on the chair and hitting the snow running!

Going to try a show repair place in Btown tomorrow and go from there. May try the goo alone for starters. Thought maybe epoxy or something might be stronger.

Thanks all.

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1742 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostMon Feb 14, 22 4:37 pm    clickers Reply with quote

I freakin LOVED my clickers. Their demise was part of the reason I quit snowboarding! (and the long lines, exorbitant lift fees, parking hassles, near death experiences driving on black ice, fucked knees, old cranky attitude... you get the picture)

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1742 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostMon Feb 14, 22 4:39 pm    clickers Reply with quote

By the by, I could looksee if I still have my Clicker Boots, Size 13 1/2 I believe if they might fit you.

hilton

Since 15 Aug 2008
787 Posts

Opinionated

PostMon Feb 14, 22 7:27 pm     Reply with quote

I would try shoe goo or maybe 5 minute epoxy.

If the original glue lasted 20+ years then the reglue should last at least 10.

But chances are the toe may come loose next or the other foot so I would check those also.

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostMon Feb 14, 22 10:22 pm    5200 Reply with quote

5200 MARINE EPOXY

My father-in-law is a tough old fisherman and SWEARS by this stuff, what it bonds together no man shall pull asunder...

Good short term fix

That said my favorite old Salomon's from the late 90's experienced a similar fate and by the end of the season they got replaced by a shiny new pair. you might surprise yourself the new stuff is GOOD they've been working on it for a looooooong time.

maybe some FLOW bindings so you can still get in and GO... quick flick of the heelback or heaven forbid you could go to the darkside and 2-plank. Those have gotten better too...

Good Luck

Mc

[img]

ezryder111

Since 24 Dec 2012
131 Posts
SE Portland
Stoked

PostMon Feb 14, 22 11:26 pm     Reply with quote

mikeinhoodriver wrote:

I have to agree...I'm all for using "older" gear but there are practical limits

I had no idea they actually continue to make these. Spendy but look pretty sweet: https://k2snow.com/en-us/c/snowboard-boots/step-in-snowboard-boots/

mikeinhoodriver

Since 23 Apr 2009
387 Posts
down wind somewhere
Obsessed

PostTue Feb 15, 22 8:44 am     Reply with quote

ezryder111 wrote:
mikeinhoodriver wrote:

I have to agree...I'm all for using "older" gear but there are practical limits

I had no idea they actually continue to make these. Spendy but look pretty sweet: https://k2snow.com/en-us/c/snowboard-boots/step-in-snowboard-boots/

Yeah ironic, huh. I was sponsored by K2 when they first came out in early 90s... I refused to ride them, they were awful IMO. Nothing wrong with proven technology, straps for life lol.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostTue Feb 15, 22 1:27 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks D, but my flippers aint THAT big! Smile

McLovin, yeah my kid has the Flow and they look pretty nice.

Took it down to Vanek's in Beaverton. They told me that Shoe Goo is more of a sealant and not really an adhesive. They sold me some Aqua Seal shoe repair stuff for $11 and told me to wrap it tight and let it cure for 12 hours. They said the vinyl is breaking down so it may have to be redone. We'll see.

Thumb's Up

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Feb 15, 22 5:22 pm     Reply with quote

For future reference I second the 5200, it will bond almost anything almost forever. Get the fast cure, still 12-24 hours. The regular stuff is like 5-6 days curing. And be careful what you get it on, once it sets it’s there forever also.

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2023 Posts

Windward

PostWed Feb 16, 22 7:48 am     Reply with quote

5200 is best ,I use a product called Seal, very similar product.

But you know at that age,, duct tape! for a nicer look Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: