Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kailua Bay Foiling?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostTue Feb 01, 22 9:00 pm    Kailua Bay Foiling? Reply with quote

Experienced Hood River kite foiler going to Oahu, looks like next week for 9'ish days. No experience foiling in HI. I have 5/7/9 UFO's and either 111 or 101 mast.

Any sage advice/tips on gear, potential water depth issues and respecting local protocol and customs etc very much appreciated. Might be going to Maui instead--my kids are taking me, so I am just going where ever the ticket tells me to.

Thanks in advance,
Eric

jack

Since 12 Mar 2006
211 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Feb 02, 22 7:01 am     Reply with quote

Not much to worry about depth wise in Kailua Bay. Most launch from Kailau beach park, but technically you can launch from anywhere people aren't. The wind direction favors launching from the park though. If you had toward the little island offshore from the beach park or toward Lanikai you will run into depth issues, but in the bay proper you won't. A lot of mid to larger sized clouds used there (6m+) for comparison.

Maui has tons of depth issues. If you look at foils on the beach you will see that even the most skilled have a hard time avoiding the reefs.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostWed Feb 02, 22 11:29 am     Reply with quote

Thank you very much Jack. Much appreciated.

Eric

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostThu Feb 03, 22 9:20 am     Reply with quote

Send Mike Kirnak (aka NAK) a message and ask him.
I think this was one of his regular winter kite locations when he piloted a PDX-HI route.

www.Purestokesports.com

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostThu Feb 03, 22 6:22 pm     Reply with quote

Perfect re Nak.

Just checked out the launch. Looks like standard common sense rules. Launch/ land here not there, don’t kite close to shore , don’t leave rigged kites on beach, set up and break down on lawn off of beach.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostFri Feb 04, 22 7:21 am     Reply with quote

Hey Eric!

The launch/beach park is accessed on the road right beside the Kalapawai Market. The road travels towards the beach and then makes a 90 degree right turn. Straight towards the ocean at that turn is the main access to the launch, and I'll base all directions from that access point standing on the beach and looking at the ocean.

Yep, you have most of the rules figured out. One big one is not to ride or launch through the swim area marked by buoys. It starts just on the right side of the launch and goes almost to the boat ramp. The life guards are understanding if the wind dies and you have no choice but to swim your gear or self rescue through the swim area, but never ride/launch in there by choice. Do talk to one of the locals before riding; the scene there is very friendly and welcoming!

There are several areas of concern for foilers. Straight out from the launch you'll see the reef. It's a ways out, but close enough you'll reach it on your first turn. High or low tide, the reef will eat your foil. The small island straight out from the boat ramp is surrounded by shallow water, another foil eater. Just past that island is a point where the beach turns rocky for a bit. Where it turns back to sand is Lanikai beach. Very, very reefy in front of Lanikai. Avoid that area. To give you an idea on how shallow the rocks are there, I have multiple scrapes on the bottom of my twin tips... Lastly, there are one or two rocks about 25-50 yards out maybe 20 yards left of the launch. At low tide you can smack these rocks with your foil. Been there, done that. The water is so clear in Kailua Bay that it can be difficult to determine the depth of obstacles.

The are to the left of the launch I always called the black hole of death, LOL. The wind there is usually at least one kite size larger (less wind) than the rest of the bay. This wind shadow extends out from shore a couple of hundred yards. If you have a house down there it's possible to launch, but the wind direction and shadow make it preferable to go to Kailua Beach Park.

Heading left from the launch and angling out to avoid the wind shadow you'll reach an area known as the "wave factory" and is a ton of fun on a foil! There is also big swell outside the reef in front of Lanikai, but I'd get specific intel from a local before heading out there.

You'll probably mostly use your 9m UFO, but bring the 5 and 7. My most used kite there was a 12m Boxer for foiling, and 17m Turbine for twin tipping. I call Kailua the Sauvie Island" of Hawaii, as you can spend a lot of time on the beach waiting for wind. Likewise, you're not supposed to drink there, but people do. You will get a ticket if the Police observe you with alcohol.

Parking in the park is an issue, especially on weekends. The best way to get a great parking spot is to show up before sunrise. Foiling Kailua bay at sunrise can be normal, but if you're lucky and the right conditions align kiting Kailua bay at sunrise can be a religious experience. By far, the most visually stunning kiting I've ever experienced has been Kailua at sunrise. At the right moment, the mountains turn red, the sea sparkles with golden, red and green light and the sunrise itself adds to the mix. Admittedly, I only experienced ideal conditions a hand full of times in all the years I kited there, but those few times were worth all of the early get ups. Of course, any sunrise kiting the bay is worth the early get up though. Just be on the water before sunrise.

If you decide to get to the park a bit later, parking gets tight early because of the early beach goers, then they start clearing out about 9. Parking gets good until 10 or 11 when the afternoon crowd shows up. At that point parking is a bear. If there's an event at the beach like a race, you really need to be there at sunrise to get parking.

Self launching/landing is a problem because of all the other beach users. I always left a tether tied to a tree just in case... Launching and landing at Kailua on a busy day will forever make you laugh at the "issues" we have at the Event Site. The locals at Kailua could teach the Event Site users a thing or three about both congested launching/landing and being helpful to other kiters. You won't get the Event Site "head turned down and I don't see you" when you need a launch or land. I always tried to launch/land at least three people for every launch/land I needed.

Have fun! Don't forget to grab a sandwich from the Kalapawai Market deli!

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostWed Feb 09, 22 11:23 am     Reply with quote

Got a session in. Extraordinarily friendly local crew. Very open to letting me know the do’s and don’ts of their local spot. I always appreciate that, as I don’t want to be “that guy” who shows up and messes it up.

Beautiful bay for cruising on foil. There are some corral heads out about 400 yds to dodge, but there is a large area of zero depth issues.

Eric

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: