Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Snowkiting Lesson Necessary?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
dobermankby

Since 07 Jul 2021
23 Posts

PostWed Dec 15, 21 4:53 pm    Snowkiting Lesson Necessary? Reply with quote

I started kiting this summer and I've had about 10 sessions since I have been able to ride and stay upwind - so still a beginner. I've also been snowboarding for about 15 years.
I really want to try snowkiting. How much do the water skills overlap with kiting on snow? Is it helpful to take snowkiting specific lessons? Or should I go and figure out by myself? (with a buddy, I wouldn't go just by myself)
I don't mind paying for lessons, but lessons are either in Idaho or SLC, both of which are really complicated to plan ahead of time when you consider flight, hotel, rental car while not knowing the wind conditions in advance. It sounds so much easier to be able to decide based on the wind forecast here one day in advance, hop into my truck and head to Keechelus or to some of the eastern WA spots.
If you snowkite, how did you get into it? What would you do differently? Thanks!

IWantToFly

Since 29 Jul 2019
144 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Dec 15, 21 6:40 pm     Reply with quote

Following.

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostWed Dec 15, 21 7:22 pm    if you can kite on water... Reply with quote

You can kite on snow. I prefer skis over snowboard because I like facing my direction of travel and I like independent suspension. Edging principals work the same.

Your kite skills on water will translate directly.

Go with a friend, take a helmet - don't be afraid of light winds.

Be prepared to walk back if wind dies.

I got into snowkiting because it's too cold to kiteboard in the water in winter in Alaska and you're kiting in 3d. What I would different? I'd do it more! Visit the Big Horns, Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado and of course... ALASKA! Austria, France, Italy, Norway, Sweden are all fantastic winter get aways for snowkiting. I never get enough. even here in Baja, I dream of snowkiting. If only there was enough interest to teach snowkiting instead of kiteboarding...

Really though, I like to tour, climb, explore, winter camp, wake up - keep on going.

https://freeridekiting.com/social/PortageLakeLODEF-Sorry.mp4

sorry for the low quality - last spring session on Portage Lake, downwind 1.5 miles to the glaciers, play in the powder, then upwind 1.5 miles.

and since your reading. checkout some of our Alaska kite fun! Its an oldie but goodie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY-oO-bSpIY

www.freeridekiting.com

IMG_3208.jpg 

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostThu Dec 16, 21 6:41 am     Reply with quote

Yeah, no lessons necessary. I wish we had better snow kite access around PDX. With good terrain it rivals any water kiting for fun. Rig like you would for water. Skiis can be better in some respects, like being able to skate away from the kite when wind is light.

Wind is often stronger the higher you go, so often the challenge can be getting going and working your way uphill to where the wind is better.

deep snow shaka.jpg 

jeffwestco

Since 21 Jan 2014
23 Posts

PostThu Dec 16, 21 5:37 pm     Reply with quote

I'd agree with everyone else -- snow specific lessons not absolutely required. But a few gotchas I'd add -- be aware that 12 o'clock shouldn't be considered as docile as water as you are not "buried" in water. It's pretty easy to become lofted in a gust (more an issue in gusty, low snow depth and depending on kite). On the extreme edges of the window is far better when taking a break or what have you.

As for difficulty, snowkiting seemed really straight forward to me. Oh, one other tip unique to snow...be extra careful/aware not to ski/board over your lines. Snow is magic -- especially when in terrain.

Cheers,

waynepjh

Since 27 Jul 2008
212 Posts
jackson wy
Stoked

PostThu Dec 16, 21 9:10 pm     Reply with quote

Wind Slither wrote:
Yeah, no lessons necessary. I wish we had better snow kite access around PDX. With good terrain it rivals any water kiting for fun. Rig like you would for water. Skiis can be better in some respects, like being able to skate away from the kite when wind is light.

Wind is often stronger the higher you go, so often the challenge can be getting going and working your way uphill to where the wind is better.
. Nice photo! I know that guy Cool

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostFri Dec 17, 21 11:32 am    Re: if you can kite on water... Reply with quote

Freeride Kiter wrote:
You can kite on snow. I prefer skis over snowboard because I like facing my direction of travel and I like independent suspension. Edging principals work the same.

Your kite skills on water will translate directly.

Go with a friend, take a helmet - don't be afraid of light winds.

Be prepared to walk back if wind dies.

I got into snowkiting because it's too cold to kiteboard in the water in winter in Alaska and you're kiting in 3d. What I would different? I'd do it more! Visit the Big Horns, Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado and of course... ALASKA! Austria, France, Italy, Norway, Sweden are all fantastic winter get aways for snowkiting. I never get enough. even here in Baja, I dream of snowkiting. If only there was enough interest to teach snowkiting instead of kiteboarding...

Really though, I like to tour, climb, explore, winter camp, wake up - keep on going.

https://freeridekiting.com/social/PortageLakeLODEF-Sorry.mp4

sorry for the low quality - last spring session on Portage Lake, downwind 1.5 miles to the glaciers, play in the powder, then upwind 1.5 miles.

and since your reading. checkout some of our Alaska kite fun! Its an oldie but goodie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY-oO-bSpIY

www.freeridekiting.com

What he said, take a friend that has done it before. Learn some ticks of the trade and some cautionary advice. . .

tree

Since 29 May 2007
147 Posts
Bend, OR
Stoked

PostFri Dec 17, 21 11:36 am     Reply with quote

Wind Slither wrote:

Such an awesome pic! Wow.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostSat Dec 18, 21 7:45 am     Reply with quote

waynepjh wrote:
Nice photo! I know that guy Cool

Photo talent credit should have been included!

waynepjh....Jackson Hole Snowkite Royalty!

waynepjh

Since 27 Jul 2008
212 Posts
jackson wy
Stoked

PostSat Dec 18, 21 1:31 pm     Reply with quote

Wind Slither wrote:
waynepjh wrote:
Nice photo! I know that guy Cool

Photo talent credit should have been included!

waynepjh....Jackson Hole Snowkite Royalty!

I don’t care about credit. Thought it was super cool to see it shared. 🤙🏼

lewmt

Since 04 Aug 2010
182 Posts
MT
Stoked

PostFri Dec 31, 21 7:33 am     Reply with quote

2nd what other's have said. I learned to snowkite without a lesson or anything more than playing with a trainer kite prior to snowkiting. It was amazing how difficult water kiting was after snow season ended - even though I could go upwind, get back to where I started from, and manage the kite decently in the beginning on snow. Having said all that I did break my neck the following winter season due to lack of knowledge but if you have good kite control on water...snow will be easy, fun, and very 3-D. Just stay away from cement icy conditions in 50mph winds. Rolling Eyes

Inflictor

Since 17 Aug 2013
144 Posts

Stoked

PostSat Jan 08, 22 5:51 am    broke your neck!!!?? Reply with quote

Yet... you don't think you need lessons or a guide who knows the terrain!!!???? hmmm..
Broken necks are no fun, I did that( and many other bones too)! Please be careful

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostMon Jan 10, 22 3:42 pm     Reply with quote

that shot!!!!!!

i want that - epic!!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: