Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

La Ventana covid tests

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostMon Nov 22, 21 6:41 am    La Ventana covid tests Reply with quote

So vaccinated people need to get a negative test 3 days before departing back to the US?

The place I'm staying is offering them for $50. Any better options in LV?

Drunk

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Nov 22, 21 6:45 am     Reply with quote

I think you can get them at the airport right across from the Hertz rental for $30.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostMon Nov 22, 21 9:54 am     Reply with quote

All airports throughout Mexico with international connections now offer on-site Covid testing. You will need the quick 40 minute antigen test if you are a US citizen. The recommendation is you allow yourself 3 hours total for this and check-in/baggage.

Other things you can do to streamline this process and avoid most of the lines and forms after your test is to use the Verifly app (android/IOS), and well as checking in at the Mexico Vuela Seguro www log-in page with your negative test:

VuelaSeguro:
https://www.vuelaseguro.com/

Verifly:
https://myverifly.com/#/

These additional instructions are not required, but I can tell you that we breezed through lines by simply holding up our phones with the QR code past lines of people searching for pen & paper.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostMon Nov 22, 21 10:15 am     Reply with quote

wylieflyote wrote:
All airports throughout Mexico with international connections now offer on-site Covid testing. You will need the quick 40 minute antigen test if you are a US citizen. The recommendation is you allow yourself 3 hours total for this and check-in/baggage.

Other things you can do to streamline this process and avoid most of the lines and forms after your test is to use the Verifly app (android/IOS), and well as checking in at the Mexico Vuela Seguro www log-in page with your negative test:

VuelaSeguro:
https://www.vuelaseguro.com/

Verifly:
https://myverifly.com/#/

These additional instructions are not required, but I can tell you that we breezed through lines by simply holding up our phones with the QR code past lines of people searching for pen & paper.

Thumb's Up Thumb's Up

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostMon Nov 22, 21 10:32 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Kip, but do I have it right that vaccinated people have to be tested 3 days before departure?

From State Dept. website:

U.S citizens and LPRs who are fully vaccinated will need to present airlines with proof of vaccination and of a negative COVID-19 test three (3) days before their flight.

If so, I don't want to make a special trip back to the Airport. We're renting from Hertz, but getting it the day we arrive would be a week before departure and that's too long right?

I just heard from a friend that there are other places in LV to get a little cheaper test, $40 vs. $50.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostMon Nov 22, 21 10:47 am     Reply with quote

Wind Slither wrote:
Thanks for the info Kip, but do I have it right that vaccinated people have to be tested 3 days before departure?

From State Dept. website:

U.S citizens and LPRs who are fully vaccinated will need to present airlines with proof of vaccination and of a negative COVID-19 test three (3) days before their flight.

If so, I don't want to make a special trip back to the Airport. We're renting from Hertz, but getting it the day we arrive would be a week before departure and that's too long right?

I just heard from a friend that there are other places in LV to get a little cheaper test, $40 vs. $50.

Yes, We would never visit Mexico without the vaccine, and regardless of your vaccination status all US bound passengers must have the Covid antigen test. As to the 3-day thing. That refers to the "age" of your test... it cannot be a test taken prior to 72 hours before departure. If you can find a local clinic near La Ventana (there is one in Los Barriles)... all you do is get the test within that 72 hours, then hold your Verifly App over the test results page and you immediately get the green light for your trip. This is the same with the Vuelo Seguro web site. Don't drive back and forth to SJD for this if you find a clinic in LV.
Are you flying Alaska? Then I know it's a simple process

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostMon Nov 22, 21 10:55 am     Reply with quote

wylieflyote wrote:
hold your Verifly App over the test results page and you immediately get the green light for your trip. This is the same with the Vuelo Seguro web site.

One more thing... If you do not use the Verifly app you are good with the old fashioned analog way by simply bringing the paper test results to check-in with you.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon Nov 22, 21 11:32 am     Reply with quote

I was reading on a Baja group recently that they were out of tests at the SJD airport. It was quite the mess with people scrambling trying to get a test. It's probably better to get a test before you get to the airport just in case.

Also, I thought, but can't verify right now, that unvaccinated people had to have a test within 24 hours of their flight. I didn't pay much attention to that as I'm vaccinated, but it is something to consider if you're not.

That said, I wouldn't travel right now if I wasn't vaccinated; I have zero desire to have Covid in Mexico. For that matter, I have zero desire to put up with possible severe hassles in Mexico if unvaccinated. I wouldn't be surprised to find it either very difficult or very expensive to get medical care in Mexico for anything without a vaccination card. As always, the smart money is to be fully vaccinated--for everything recommended-- before travelling. I've heard some horror stories working in the travel industry. Like med techs backed by armed police forcefully vaccinating bus loads or store fulls of people--and using the same needle to vaccinate everybody. This was before Covid. Just because these things aren't happening right now, doesn't mean they won't some time soon.

If you are vaccinated, strongly consider getting your booster before traveling. Lots of studies showing all of the vaccines efficacy dropping off after six months.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostMon Nov 22, 21 1:46 pm     Reply with quote

Nak wrote:

If you are vaccinated, strongly consider getting your booster before traveling. .

We arrived in Mazatlan on Thursday and are now in a rural village. There's moderately good compliance with mask wearing but coming through large crowds, markets, bus rides there's just no way in hell I'd ever come here without 2 or 3 shots.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostMon Nov 22, 21 2:18 pm     Reply with quote

You're right Nak, 24 hrs if not vaxed.

One way or another we'll get the test in LV.

My 18 yo son came back with Covid from Mex last summer. He tested negative before he left so probably picked it up while traveling home. Who knows.

I'm scheduled for the booster 2 days before I go...soonest I could find.

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostTue Nov 23, 21 5:29 pm     Reply with quote

If you want local testing info let me know. You can have someone come to your place, you can go to the lab or you can get tested at airport. Results in 20 minutes.

I live in El Sargento

Dan
907-290-7055

www.freeridekiting.com

Kmun

Since 05 Jul 2009
250 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Nov 26, 21 1:30 am    Source of exposure? Reply with quote

Wind Slither wrote:

My 18 yo son came back with Covid from Mex last summer. He tested negative before he left so probably picked it up while traveling home. Who knows.

Questions:
1. Was your son fully vaccinated before traveling?
2. What form of transportation did he take?
3. What is the chance he wore a mask during public exposure or is this a typical 18 yo thinking "Naw! Won't happen to me."

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostFri Nov 26, 21 8:21 am    Re: Source of exposure? Reply with quote

Kmun wrote:
Wind Slither wrote:

Questions:
1. Was your son fully vaccinated before traveling?
2. What form of transportation did he take?
3. What is the chance he wore a mask during public exposure or is this a typical 18 yo thinking "Naw! Won't happen to me."

1. Yes but J&J
2. Flew with multiple stops, DEN and SEA I think.
3. Probably worse than typical 18yo mask compliance.

2 other guys in his group ended up with covid. I'm not clear on how close he was to these 2 on the way home and they both faired better than he did with recovery. The symptoms hit 3 days or so after getting home. He was down and hating it in bed for 3-4 days, then felt OK for a couple days and then hating it again for several more days. Then there was a couple weeks of "feeling out of it" and "not right" to the point we were starting to worry about long hauling. Finally he seemed to recover fully.

I got my booster in the form of a 3rd Pfizer shot 2 days ago. I put my faith in modern western medicine and science. It's saved my ass many times over. Thumb's Up

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostFri Nov 26, 21 10:30 am    Re: Source of exposure? Reply with quote

Wind Slither wrote:

I got my booster in the form of a 3rd Pfizer shot 2 days ago. I put my faith in modern western medicine and science. It's saved my ass many times over. Thumb's Up

+1

Is it weird that people even have to say this???? Interesting times where this has to be said, where it isn't just a given.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: