Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

pacasmayo in a couple weeks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
533 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Oct 25, 21 5:43 pm    pacasmayo in a couple weeks Reply with quote

going to pacasmayo, never been, just started putting together the packing list. it looks like a mid teens spot. Planning to take some kites, rent a board. Any thoughts to share, experiences, recommendations are appreciated.

Also, my biggest kite is a 12m Bandit, looking for something a little bigger to bring along. If you got it, HMU

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon Oct 25, 21 9:35 pm     Reply with quote

Jealous!!!! Have fun!

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue Oct 26, 21 8:31 am    Re: pacasmayo in a couple weeks Reply with quote

OG wrote:
going to pacasmayo, never been, just started putting together the packing list. it looks like a mid teens spot. Planning to take some kites, rent a board. Any thoughts to share, experiences, recommendations are appreciated.

Also, my biggest kite is a 12m Bandit, looking for something a little bigger to bring along. If you got it, HMU

Bring some sunscreen and eat beef till you depart . . . seafood smorgasbord there.

Link

Please post some pics when you get a chance.

Safe travels and adventures!

bfb38

Since 02 Sep 2016
75 Posts

PostSun Oct 31, 21 6:52 am    Get a big board Reply with quote

If you’re renting a single board for the whole time, go big. The water is pretty smooth so you can get away with it and the wind is pretty light and the current is pretty strong so the big board helps getting around. Plus, the wave is so predictable and the wind is just offshore enough that that you really can ditch kite power. I ride a 5’2” in the gorge but there I preferred boards between 6’2” and 6’10”. I weigh 190lbs and struggled on my 11m while there.

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
533 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Oct 31, 21 7:28 pm    Re: Get a big board Reply with quote

bfb38 wrote:
If you’re renting a single board for the whole time, go big. The water is pretty smooth so you can get away with it and the wind is pretty light and the current is pretty strong so the big board helps getting around. Plus, the wave is so predictable and the wind is just offshore enough that that you really can ditch kite power. I ride a 5’2” in the gorge but there I preferred boards between 6’2” and 6’10”. I weigh 190lbs and struggled on my 11m while there.

thats great info. thanks. i was planning to borrow a friends 14m and their light wind 17m, and then bring my 12m. what do you think about that?

bfb38

Since 02 Sep 2016
75 Posts

PostWed Nov 03, 21 3:50 am     Reply with quote

I’d bring a foil or just surf rather than use kites that big personally, but I think that should help. Are you staying at el faro?

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
533 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Nov 04, 21 3:02 am     Reply with quote

so youd go with an 11/12m again then? im just trying to get an idea of what to bring with me.

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
533 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Nov 04, 21 7:14 am     Reply with quote

what about water temp? 4/3 good enough?

bfb38

Since 02 Sep 2016
75 Posts

PostThu Nov 04, 21 10:58 am    Pacquiao, Manny Reply with quote

Bring the 14m. There was a huge guy there on a 17m riding a surfboard a lot of days that I was foiling. I was jealous a few times, but then I'd remember that he was flying a 17m. I can't stand big slow kites, though that is the one place where I might tolerate them because the conditions don't require you to move your kite all that much and the reward of multiple waves 1-2+ minutes long makes it worth it.

If you're staying at El Faro, which I recommend, then you get boat rescue service which makes flying the 17m more appealing as well. If he's there, Jamie is a real trip.

I wore a 4/3 every day I think.

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Nov 04, 21 7:08 pm     Reply with quote

How much for airfare? Wonder if I could do that trip on a long weekend, say 5 days?

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
533 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Nov 07, 21 8:51 am    Re: Pacquiao, Manny Reply with quote

bfb38 wrote:
Bring the 14m. There was a huge guy there on a 17m riding a surfboard a lot of days that I was foiling. I was jealous a few times, but then I'd remember that he was flying a 17m. I can't stand big slow kites, though that is the one place where I might tolerate them because the conditions don't require you to move your kite all that much and the reward of multiple waves 1-2+ minutes long makes it worth it.

If you're staying at El Faro, which I recommend, then you get boat rescue service which makes flying the 17m more appealing as well. If he's there, Jamie is a real trip.

thx for the info on the kite sizes.

bfb38 wrote:
I wore a 4/3 every day I think.

My 4/3 is starting to look like a spaghetti colander. The waterseal and wetsuit cement are keeping this thing in action. Looks like itll ride for at least one more trip.

Did you bring a surfboard? Rent? What are your thoughts around that?

flipper wrote:
How much for airfare? Wonder if I could do that trip on a long weekend, say 5 days?

My ticket was around $800. I waited to buy mine, so you can probably get it cheaper

bfb38

Since 02 Sep 2016
75 Posts

PostTue Nov 09, 21 8:12 am    Gorge board Reply with quote

I brought my board that I ride on the Columbia, but rarely used it and instead rented larger boards for the reasons outlined above

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: