Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Portland Tribune Photo Shoot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSun Aug 07, 05 12:11 pm    Portland Tribune Photo Shoot Reply with quote

The Portland Tribune is doing an article on Sauvies Island kiteboarding for the Sports section. Come on out today (Sunday) and bring your A-game for a chance to make the front page photo. We will be using the jetski to get out in the middle of the action.

Just please no jumping upwind of the ski, if you do and land on my girlfriend or ski, your kite will not survive the night. Thumb's Up

Anyway, looks like a good night for wind, see you out there!

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSun Aug 07, 05 9:45 pm     Reply with quote

Hey it went great. Most of the regulars were in attendance, and I think everyone out there got that "kodak courage" and made the most of the flakey conditions. Jeff especially was throwing down with his usual bombastic style some sick tricks like Slim Chance handlepasses and kiteloop roll combos.

Lucas from the Tribune is going to probably come out once or twice more this week to get a few more shots to choose from (he is a perfectionist), but he says the aim is to put the story in Friday's paper. I will post when he knows for sure.

I should be able to get my hands on all the shots and post the keepers here.

Thanks Sauvies Crew. Thumb's Up

colby

Since 23 Apr 2005
613 Posts
Celebrity
Photographer

PostSun Aug 07, 05 10:01 pm    .. Reply with quote

Can't wait to see the photos! Was at the sandbar today with a handful of others including Henry and the amazing crossbow...I think I counted 4 of them on the water at one point and also got a look at the 06 rapture being tested, which has only gotten flatter and more spaceship looking.

so here's what you missed in terms of a breezy summer day in hood river...

newgraph.gif 

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostMon Aug 08, 05 6:08 am    The Devil Came Out to Play Reply with quote

Breezy, yah that’s an understatement. I call it “Devil Wind.” Twisted Evil I was riding at 4pm on a Fuel 7m & Hein 124cm board (I’m 200lbs) and was super lit most of time!! Wind was extremely up & down with streaky blasts easily over 40mph! After ‘Flash’ A. tested the 06 9m Rapture he jumped on a 9m Crossbow for comparison. Both kites handled the wind very well. I was super bummed that Tonski had taken off with our (her) 9m X-Bow earlier in the day for the sanity of Sauvies. I would have loved to take on those “Shouts from the Devil” with the Bow. It was amazing to watch Henry ride all afternoon on his 9m Bow while every one else was coming in & grabbing smaller kites. Henry just kept riding & riding & riding…….~D

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Aug 08, 05 6:25 am     Reply with quote

Sounds like the Gorge was out in all of its glory... I got my fill Fri/Sat, never on anything bigger than my 7m or 9m.

I concur that Henry pretty much kept on trucking the entire day on Sat too. I had to pump up both my 7m and 9m to be comfortable all day, but he seemed content on the 9m Crossbow.

Also amazing was watching featherweight Tonya cruising around on the 9m bow when Toby and I (both about 170lbs) were lit off our assess on our 9's.

Rico

Since 13 Mar 2005
1219 Posts
Vancouver
Photographer

PostMon Aug 08, 05 4:21 pm    This weekend was sweet Reply with quote

Hey Guys,
This weekend was sweet. I had motivation to kite until I couldn't kite anymore. I leave on a no kiting vacation this Sat. for a week. Crying or Very sad

FYI: I dropped the crossbow leading edge forward or towards me and it hot launched dead center in 35+ winds. Any other kite and I would have been launched 100 yards forward like a rock skimming across the water, but with the crossbow I may have gone 3 feet with no noticeable pull. I still can't believe it. Razz

It's been a great run of wind; hope to see you all out there speading the stoke........

Henry

littlegus

Since 08 Jul 2005
29 Posts
La Jungla

PostMon Aug 08, 05 6:14 pm     Reply with quote

Yep, the crossbow is awesome. I made it all the way up to Wells Island. Before the crossbow I couldn't stay up wind very well Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: