Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Pitting and salt buildup on my aluminum fuse

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
phill

Since 26 May 2016
56 Posts

PostSun Oct 17, 21 12:16 pm    Pitting and salt buildup on my aluminum fuse Reply with quote

I have Pitting and salt buildup on the sides of my aluminum fuse.

Anyone have a solution for this other than buying a carbon fuse?

The foil and mast come apart fine, it is just along the outside of the fuse

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSun Oct 17, 21 3:52 pm     Reply with quote

Yeah, kind of one of those things with aluminum that's in contact with Stainless/Titanium/Carbon. The aluminum acts as a sacrificial anode for these materials.

Things to do:

1. After every ride, wash off the foil with lots of fresh water. You have to wipe the aluminum well with a sponge and soapy water if you allowed the salt to dry on.

2. Where a carbon wing or mast comes in contact with the fuse, paint the carbon with a good clear coat if it doesn't look like that portion is painted. If the mast/fuse clearance is tight, this may make it too tight. In this case, you can coat the contact portion of aluminum with a thin coat of tefgel.

3. Use tefgel on the threads of the screws.

4. Use polycarbonate or fiberglass washers on the heads of the screws which contact the fuse to electrically isolate the screws from the fuse.

Tefgel is very sticky and won't come off with soap and water, so use gloves to apply it. WD-40 or mineral spirits will clean up tefgel.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: