Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Surfboard recommendation
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
animus

Since 12 Aug 2011
27 Posts

PostWed Oct 13, 21 3:19 pm    Surfboard recommendation Reply with quote

I have been kiting since 2008 and I purchased a 6'3" Liquid Force kite surfboard around 2010. However I didn't really get into it until 2-3 years ago. I feel like I should move from my old high volume board but I don't have much experience with different boards. I have heard good things about Tomo boards. But I also heard (from Windance folks) that their Firewire boards can be fragile. So... need some recommendations. I am 6'3" and 180-185lbs.

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostWed Oct 13, 21 4:53 pm     Reply with quote

You are not heavy enough to need a kite fish. That is, unless you like to run in shallow.

Give us some more info. Are you interested in the shallow water capabilities of a skim? Like to jump? Want to simulate prone surfing? What kites are you using? Location? What do you think is cool that other kitesurfers are doing?

animus

Since 12 Aug 2011
27 Posts

PostWed Oct 13, 21 7:33 pm     Reply with quote

Good questions! I don't feel like I'm too interested in skim/shallow. I live in Portland and I do like surfing the waves off of Hatchery. I do some ocean trips, trying to get better at ocean waves. I started doing some strapless ollies, working on more jumps. I can successfully do a duck tack every once in a while. So, riding waves and learning how to jump is two ways I enjoy the surfboard. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by simulating prone surfing:) I ride Fone bandits, which are delta kites but looking into single strut options for foiling. Thank you!

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostThu Oct 14, 21 8:19 am     Reply with quote

animus wrote:
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by simulating prone surfing:)

If "bottom turn, then smack the lip, then repeate" is your only goal, then you are likely interested in simulating the limits of prone surfing. Or if you just look at the kite as something to pull you into and get you up on the wave, but then want to feel the kite as little as possible while you only use the wave power to go, then you are also likely looking to simulate the limits of prone surfing.

If you intend to be less of a purist and do more by using the kite for more than just to get you onto the wave, then you definetly could use a different board for that style.

But being strapless kind of pushes you toward the former, rather than the latter. Being strapless also limits the forces on the whole system, and especially the board. So durability becomes much less of a concern, while light weight becomes more of a goal.

My advice to you is to consider more traditional surf shapes with minimal reinforcement geared toward kiting if you stick with strapless. And you are in luck! That's about 99% of the kitesurfboards out there.

If you decide to go strapped, that's where it gets difficult to find a range of boards to test with the durability to last.

flightmac

Since 14 Nov 2017
69 Posts

PostThu Oct 14, 21 8:21 am     Reply with quote

SS Sci fly, the black Carbon f-one board or pro whip

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostThu Oct 14, 21 12:10 pm     Reply with quote

Depends also on skill level and budget. If you want to try foiling consider a convertible - there are more and more options out there, including some cool new Cabrinha shapes I saw at AWSI. The die-hard foilers and surfers here will poo-poo this idea saying they do neither well, but I've traveled lots with a Slingy Converter and it's been fine from windy gorge swell at the bridge to light-wind to beginner foiling.

I surfed '19 Slingy Celero FR and Mixer back-to-back two seasons and settled on the Mixer which is considered a "groveler" board (mushy small-medium waves). Where the Celero felt great was when the swell ramped up to shoulder-high and bigger and I could draw out turns. I find quads in general to be 'slashier', but again, I've heard completely opposing opinions to my own feel.

Depending on your budget, I recommend buying and reselling various models until you develop a feel for noticing what rocker, outlines, etc. work for you. Variety is the spice of life!

Check out the AWSI vids from this year as several cover new surfboards but more importantly several discuss the design decisions and rationale.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Oct 14, 21 6:59 pm     Reply with quote

MattV was on track with a good post in my opinion...

If you already know how you want to ride, buy a board that enhances that style.

If you don't know, pick one until you get bored with it.

If you get bored, buy another board and enhance your style with that board.

Point is... There is no right answer. Just a bunch of different boards that enhance different styles.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Oct 14, 21 7:20 pm     Reply with quote

If you’re not sure what style or board you want and you are riding strapless, go to any of the coast surf shops and buy a used cheap surfboard (not kiteboard) maybe 28-35 liters and ride it til it breaks. Which won’t take long. Buy another cheap one and repeat until you find the style you like. Then spend some real money on a better board in that style. It will last longer, hopefully until your style changes (and it will) and repeat as necessary.
You will find surfboards will ride differently than kite surf boards. Might be enough to matter to you, might not. But, as they say, there is only one way to find out.
Luckily the only way to know is TOW, so practice, practice, practice!!

bfb38

Since 02 Sep 2016
75 Posts

PostFri Oct 15, 21 6:15 pm    Priorities Reply with quote

The tip about buying used is a good one if you’re on any sort of budget. The advice to buy a normal surfboard could soon leave you with a broken board if you’re jumping much at all. If jumping isn’t a priority, then riding traditional surfboards is amazing. Also if you’re more about jumping, a compact surf shape is better. Otherwise go traditional.

Kitesurfboard layups generally are significantly heavier and more durable to both dents and catastrophic failure as they’re usually epoxy and more layers than a surfboard.

As for tomo boards, there is no durability issue. Ask folks who ride them. I’ve snapped one in perhaps thousands of hours on them jumping, letting them wash up on the beach, flying with them 10+x/year, and failing miserably at kite loops—which is how I snapped the one. I ordered another the same week. As a balance of durability, weight, and smoothness of ride, they have few rivals.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Oct 17, 21 11:17 am     Reply with quote

Actually, the price is secondary. In the beginning for sure and later as well you might want to ride as many shapes as possible. Each one will change how you ride a bit and make you a better rider regardless of the style you wind up with. So, borrow lots of boards and ride them gently or buy cheap surf boards and ride them hard. The key, IMO, is like everything else in kiting; ride as much as you can on whatever is available.

Edit: I’ve ridden a number of Tomo boards, Vanguard, Vader, Evo in FST & Helium and have only broken one as well. FST & a Bad landing of course. Great boards, highly recommend, my favorite is still the Vader tri fin setup. Crazy quick, strapless in good waves, strapped when it’s gusty/choppy jumping/riding like a hooligan and still no breakage.

A.K.

Since 01 Jul 2006
190 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Oct 17, 21 3:21 pm     Reply with quote

The movement to foiling as dropped the prices on used great condition surfboards. I could not help myself. Windance has been selling legendary shapes on the consignment racks for no more than $350. We are talking four surfboards for price of one! I already have a quiver!

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Oct 17, 21 4:31 pm     Reply with quote

A.K. wrote:
The movement to foiling as dropped the prices on used great condition surfboards. I could not help myself. Windance has been selling legendary shapes on the consignment racks for no more than $350. We are talking four surfboards for price of one! I already have a quiver!

Totally agree, got a dirty nasty looking F1 Mitu there for next to nothing used. Cleaned it up and it’s a great wave board, worth a lot more to me now. Also, picked up a used North Pacific from Art also for a really low price at a swap. Also, a great board for me for now. Lots of different shapes and sizes are always fun to try and change what you know and feel about boards and waves. And because of that, indirectly kites as well as you try new things.
Some folks just like to ride what they know which is great as the conditions get more extreme but I like to switch things up to see what happens.😳

jblum

Since 13 Jul 2008
305 Posts
The Gorge
Obsessed

PostMon Oct 18, 21 12:34 am    Board failure overhyped Reply with quote

Try as many boards as you can before buying one, but you are unlikely to break one if it is a modern kite specific board. They layups are super strong these days, unlike boards 5+ years old.

I am similar size to you, and have never broken a board surfing, ever. I put a few dents in the deck of one learning to jump strapless, but if you are just surfing waves, you would be super unlucky to break one. I ride a Duotone Pro Whip 5'3" and LOVE IT.

Pete

Since 29 Oct 2007
829 Posts

Opinionated

PostMon Oct 18, 21 10:18 am    Yes Reply with quote

knotwindy wrote:
If you’re not sure what style or board you want and you are riding strapless, go to any of the coast surf shops and buy a used cheap surfboard (not kiteboard) maybe 28-35 liters and ride it til it breaks. Which won’t take long. Buy another cheap one and repeat until you find the style you like. Then spend some real money on a better board in that style. It will last longer, hopefully until your style changes (and it will) and repeat as necessary.
You will find surfboards will ride differently than kite surf boards. Might be enough to matter to you, might not. But, as they say, there is only one way to find out.
Luckily the only way to know is TOW, so practice, practice, practice!!

Yes, if riding strapless, keep an eye on craigslist or offerup for cheap surfboards under 6', buy, try, break, repeat. I have a friend who does just this, but cheap shortboards in SoCal may be more abundant than in your location.

Board preference is amazing how much it can vary between two people that may be doing the same thing. My friend ordered a custom Amundson board, paid $900 for it and hated it. I bought it from him, and it is one of my favorite boards. We ride in similar conditions. Personal preference matters A LOT.

GreasyRick

PostMon Oct 18, 21 2:26 pm     Reply with quote

"Kitesurfing" boards are a fucking scam.

Like that dude said go get a 5'11" board on craigslist. I got one for $60 and it shreds way better than a brand new $100,000 slingshot board

pollywog

Since 07 Aug 2009
289 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Oct 19, 21 8:02 am     Reply with quote

Great post! Although a much smaller person, I’m finding strapless surfboard riding is my new love. I’ve only owned slingshot boards but have tried f-one and doutone. I wanted each of those boards because they all ride differently and fun. Just too much money…

I think the idea of buying cheap boards until you find your preferred style is spot on! How long until summer? Laughing

JizzInMyPants

PostTue Oct 19, 21 8:10 am     Reply with quote

GreasyRick wrote:
"Kitesurfing" boards are a fucking scam.

Like that dude said go get a 5'11" board on craigslist. I got one for $60 and it shreds way better than a brand new $100,000 slingshot board

GR, this is the second angry post in the last couple of days and $ seems to be a little tight on your end.

Sounds to me like you need a hug and or some loving.

I suggest you take Nak's advice and get some Tefgel for any galling (or $ balling issues) you might have with your gear.

You can also use it for some self-loving and Jizz In Your Pants.

Hopefully that will put you in a better mood?

That is a two-for-one and what any $ conscious yuppie would do.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: