Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Cutting Slingshot AL Mast Shorter???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
apctjb

Since 19 Aug 2007
427 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Oct 02, 21 9:31 am    Cutting Slingshot AL Mast Shorter??? Reply with quote

Anyone know if you can cut a Slingshot AL mast shorter and re-tap the bolt threads after cutting.

I am assuming that the AL extrusion is consistent throughout the length, which would make cutting and re taping possible...

No doubt someone has tried this....

Hoping to tap their knowledge.

Thx

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostSat Oct 02, 21 5:32 pm     Reply with quote

I’ve done it with a LF aluminum mast. Quick fix for seized or stripped bolts.

The aluminum extrusion cuts nicely with a carbide tipped blade in a chop saw. If there are steel bolts stuck in there, don’t hit them with the blade.

You’ll need the correct tap and cutting oil to cut new threads. I can’t remember the exact size, but it’s worth it to buy a nice, new, sharp tap. Take your time with it, turn it by hand. The aluminum is super soft and it’s easy to make a mess of threads. If you do make a mess, back to the chop saw. Try again. You lose another couple inches.

rhorton1

Since 25 Oct 2012
36 Posts
SoCal

PostSun Oct 03, 21 11:44 am    Re: Cutting Slingshot AL Mast Shorter??? Reply with quote

apctjb wrote:
Anyone know if you can cut a Slingshot AL mast shorter and re-tap the bolt threads after cutting.

Yes, you can cut and tap pretty easily. Just make sure the cut is square both ways (horiz and vertically). I’ve done it to two masts and both are still going strong. Cut one with a jigsaw (ok) and the other with a table saw (better). I’m sure a miter saw would work if the mast was secured well. You can use a fine tooth woodworking blade as the aluminum is pretty soft.

For tapping aluminum, WD40 works fine as a lubricant.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostMon Oct 04, 21 8:59 pm     Reply with quote

I've performed this many times over the years. I have a chopsaw with a non ferrous blade setup for a nice clean cut. takes about 30 seconds. you will need to re-tap the holes after cutting.
if you need help with it feel free to send me a PM.

apctjb

Since 19 Aug 2007
427 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Oct 06, 21 6:19 pm     Reply with quote

Excellent! Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

apctjb

Since 19 Aug 2007
427 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Oct 09, 21 3:58 pm     Reply with quote

Done! Super easy. Thanks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: