Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

How long can you wing?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
hilton

Since 15 Aug 2008
787 Posts

Opinionated

PostMon Sep 27, 21 6:06 am    How long can you wing? Reply with quote

Hey Wingers - just curious how long your typical wing foil sessions are?

With kiting I can usually stay out for two hours and not even feel it, but when learning to wing it usually only takes about 45 minutes to wear me out - great for an after work session, but not hardly worth the drive out to Rufus for a day.

Am I getting old, or do I just need to develop some new muscles for winging?
Does it get better when you stop falling in on every transition, or do you really need a harness to carry some of the load?

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostMon Sep 27, 21 7:32 am     Reply with quote

Yes it gets much better when you stop falling and start staying on foil through your jibes. When the power is right you won't fatigue fast at all!
Thumb's Up

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostMon Sep 27, 21 10:30 am     Reply with quote

My first 10 sessions were without harness lines, so l lasted 45 minutes. I went to harness lines in both directions and I’m usually out 2 hours with 2 minute water breaks after falling, it is a game changer hooking in!

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostMon Sep 27, 21 11:59 am     Reply with quote

can you show what that looks like? hooking in to the wing?

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostMon Sep 27, 21 1:21 pm     Reply with quote

I would suggest adding a harness line to your wing and use a hook when going upwind.
riding unhooked powered up on a wing can feel alot like riding a kite unhooked.

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostMon Sep 27, 21 2:09 pm     Reply with quote

When I was first learning I was always using a big wing to pull me up on the foil, but it felt like it would pull my arms off when I was up an foiling and didn't need all that grunt.
Harness line helps but also as you get better you become more efficient getting up on the foil and can use a smaller wing.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Sep 27, 21 3:19 pm     Reply with quote

Anytime we learn a new sport - we use too much muscle and too little finesse and technique.
Once you get over the hurdle of needing a big board, big wing and big foil to get up.... you can switch to a high aspect foil (low drag), smallboard, and use a smaller hand wing..... 2 hour sessions will become the norm..... twice a day.

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostTue Sep 28, 21 2:09 pm     Reply with quote

this is what i was looking for, for those others who haven't used their harness with the wing yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy1af7ogFu4

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostTue Sep 28, 21 7:23 pm     Reply with quote

I bought plastic tubing at any hardware to cover the line. Then use a double loop pig tail on the frontline with knots to adjust the length. F1 is having issues with the back hook up coming out so I hooked it to my back handle..

16C6BABA-5FF4-4348-BE02-57DB3BD87857.jpeg 

To bad

Since 01 May 2017
24 Posts

PostWed Sep 29, 21 3:54 pm    Harness line attachment on F One Reply with quote

Hey Moon. I have F Ones and use rear pigtail. I appreciate the tip to hook to handle. Do you have a link where you heard this? or is it on the beach?
I use harness lines a lot, so I think I will do as you did in photo.
Thanks Todd

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostWed Sep 29, 21 5:15 pm     Reply with quote

It’s the word at the Hatchery. Chris Anderson recommended it after his back loop started failing. He has HIGH use gear, probably 5 sessions a week. I also use a bowline knot to hook the back line to the handle, it never comes out.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostThu Sep 30, 21 2:50 pm    Endurance wing dinging Reply with quote

These guys can wing ding forever, and they don't need no harness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_O3tijE8ZY

sorry.jpg 

brass

Since 15 Jul 2006
152 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Oct 01, 21 12:06 pm    Re: Endurance wing dinging Reply with quote

Wind Slither wrote:
These guys can wing ding forever, and they don't need no harness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_O3tijE8ZY

For the day I am having all there is to say is THANK YOU FOR THIS.

Mikeb

Since 22 Oct 2006
231 Posts
Troutdale and Hood River Or
Stoked

PostMon Oct 11, 21 6:57 am     Reply with quote

Hilarious Wing Ding Video.

Seriously, once I incorporated a harness (Ride Engine Vinaka) and harness lines I could stay out 2x longer on my sessions. I can't imagine "pinching" upwind now without it. Takes all the pressure off your sheet in arm and shoulder. Maybe I'm more comfortable with this as I came from a windsurfing background but going without it would not be fun. The key is you have to get the harness line on each wing the right length. Experment with it. You don't want them to short or it'll be "sketch". You'll end up getting launched into your wing if you get hit with an unexpected gust. Should be long enough you can sheet out and bring the wing above you going upwind in strong wind conditions

RE Vinaka is the best one out there currently as you can "clear" the hook when climbing back on your board and "reengage" it before you stand up

cpc219

Since 12 Jun 2014
291 Posts
The Dalles
Obsessed

PostMon Oct 11, 21 1:26 pm     Reply with quote

Usually a 1.5 to 2 hour session will do me just fine. You don't need a harness and yes it takes a little while to get the endurance you want. If you pace yourself right and go upwind for a while then do a longer downwind ride you can last longer. If you are just burning triangles in one area it is going to wear you out faster I think. It's like adjusting the HIIT cycles for the workout.

But that's the great thing about winging. You can be out there for 30-45 minutes and get the stoke up and get back to the rest of your day. Or if you want to stay out longer you can always pull off to the side and sit on your board, let your wing flag out, and take a little breather. Sometimes it's nice to just sit in the water and chill.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: