Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Thanks for the upwind Taxi Macgruber!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue Sep 21, 21 6:56 pm    Thanks for the upwind Taxi Macgruber! Reply with quote

Shoutout to macgruber for taking our posse upwind from Rooster Rock for our downwinder (while on your way to Stevenson). I/we owe you some beers for going out of your way to drop us off so we could partake in a downwind to Rooster.

Wouldn't exactly call the downwinder epic as the wind average while on the water was just north and south of 40mph from 11am-12:35pm. More like "white knuckle" survival kiting. We were surprised by the higher water level and all of milfoil/green weeds.

A 5m would of been much nicer than a 6m.

But great to be back on the water as I was out due to bruised ribs and ailing lower back for 7 weeks.

I think it mellowed some as the day progressed and lots of wind junkies out.

Some major airs being thrown out there today--fun to watch.

Thanks again macgruber and to the wind gods for providing!

Cheers! Drunk

Roosterdownwinder092121.png 

IWantToFly

Since 29 Jul 2019
144 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Sep 21, 21 10:41 pm     Reply with quote

I wondered where the extra kites came from. I was watching and debating (finally went out about 1:30) and could not figure how more kites started appearing without having launched from the beach!

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Sep 22, 21 7:36 am     Reply with quote

IWantToFly wrote:
I wondered where the extra kites came from. I was watching and debating (finally went out about 1:30) and could not figure how more kites started appearing without having launched from the beach!

The downwinder takes effort and is not without risk. . . The wind can die and when it turns off at RR is goes very quickly. If you feel it dying, head for shore immediately. This could suck big time if you're up in no man's land east of RR beach or out far from the Oregon side in the channel. Same applies to the wind ramping up and getting too strong. Fortunately with downwinders one can point straight downwind, keep the kite low and "bleed the speed."

Dalton Boat launch to RR is 3+ miles and Bridal Veil to RR is 2+ miles.

Both can be difficult launches or almost impossible with the wrong wind direction.

My guess is that when the east winds do appear, most often it comes from the NE mainly--which is best for launching and landing as the shoreline is filled-in with wind. Rarely is it true east wind and sometimes it is SE wind.

SE wind makes launching from the Oregon shore very difficult unless one is far from the tree line--not the case for either Dalton or Bridal Veil.

To be clear here, I've launched from both locations with NE, East, and SE wind directions. SE is the worst by far and makes for some super sketchy launching conditions.

Dalton has a beach that appears on the east end of the boat launch point when the water is very low. One needs to go through the trees (east) at the parking lot which is located before the cement ramp boat launch. Best to launch your kite and drag out with your legs to find depth as there are lots of rocks close in; same for milfoil/weeds. After doing this one should be free and clear of any wind shadows caused from the shoreline or trees. One can also launch from the boat ramp, but easiest and best with aid from someone else. Again, lots of rocks in the shallows around there.

At Bridal Veil (BV) one has to park on the south side of the hwy off ramp and walk on the overpass and hop over the guardrail. You'll see a path. BV also needs to be done in the late summer and or when the river level is low, otherwise there is no area to rig.

Both take some planning/logistics with a group and you should have someone show you the ropes if you want to do it.

I like the dw'ers to Rooster as the scenery is beautiful and one isn't fighting wind and current going in the same direction. I love the hundreds of acres of shallows east of the RR beach and kiting near the cliffs of Cape Horn and the islands just east of it. And it is just you and whoever you brought with you until you reach the RR beach. As you near the west end of the beach the more kiters you'll encounter.

Sure, a launch from the beach and a session on the water at Rooster is nice, but there is a lot of "mowing the lawn" involved. I'm sure foiling changes this dynamic, but one has to deal with the shallows and or one might not be able to foil if the wind is too strong.

IWantToFly

Since 29 Jul 2019
144 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Sep 22, 21 11:36 am     Reply with quote

Great info. Thanks.

I have looked at the cove at Dalton regularly as I drive by - it looks super weedy right now. I'm guessing you were able to just body drag around/over it, but it would suck to have something go wrong in that mess!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: