Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Baja convoy carjacking report

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
oliver19

Since 25 Jun 2019
77 Posts

PostMon Sep 20, 21 7:59 am    Baja convoy carjacking report Reply with quote

Anyone know anything more about this?

https://mexicodailypost.com/2021/08/16/violent-carjacking-of-3-different-tourists-in-baja-california-hwy/

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostMon Sep 20, 21 9:55 am     Reply with quote

Yes
I follow the Facebook group Talk Baja Road Conditions.
This carjacking occurred on my preferred Hwy #5 route south of Mexicali to Guerrero Negro. Since this incident there have been no more issues, but in general the consensus on the TBRC page is this occurred because the Mx govt removed the military checkpoint at Gonzales. Most believe this was a one shot thing, and many feel it was some kind on inside job. But.... your results may vary.
Might be a good year to take Hwy #1 instead since #1 still has all it's military checkpoints.

bobgatpdx

Since 04 Oct 2008
218 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Oct 10, 21 8:55 am     Reply with quote

Hey Kip,
We are thinking about driving down to Baja this winter for the first time. I was planning on using the Hwy 5 route. Where are your preferred stopping points on the way down?
- Bob

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSun Oct 10, 21 9:16 am     Reply with quote

bobgatpdx wrote:
Hey Kip,
We are thinking about driving down to Baja this winter for the first time. I was planning on using the Hwy 5 route. Where are your preferred stopping points on the way down?
- Bob

This depends entirely on your style as I'm the person who wants to travel fast and efficient. My route is: fast food Starbucks in El Centro after a Motel 6 night. At Mexicali East crossing by 8am. Travel south through Mexicali with a stop at a Bank ATM (never use ATMs other than ones attached to a bank building). Easy drive to San Felipe where I top off the gas just to be sure. Then south on a beautiful scenic drive to Guerrero Negro where I sleep at the Tera Sol Hotel which is near the highway as you first enter town. Then I'm up SUPER early for the very long drive to La Ventana.
But, there's so much I'm skipping in my hurry. You could sleep at the pet-friendly El Moro in Santa Rosalia. You could sleep in Mulege. You can camp almost anywhere.

Some notes: Be extremely cautious with your drive through the town of Ciudad Constitucion which is 2 hours north of La Paz. There's no alternative route so you must drive down main street. Stop at EVERY intersection even when there's no sign or light and all the locals all speeding past you. Go GRANDMA SLOW through the entire town because the local cops sit there waiting for gringo plates. Beware.
Here's the a**hole who guided me into a parking space and then proceeded to steal my vehicle license plate. Cost: $1200 pesos/$60 US and a trip downtown to the police station commander:

bobgatpdx

Since 04 Oct 2008
218 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Oct 10, 21 9:43 am     Reply with quote

thanks Kip!
I started a new thread for general Baja driving advice.
- Bob

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostMon Oct 11, 21 5:34 am     Reply with quote

So what's the verdict? Is Baja getting more sketchy, or about the same?

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostMon Oct 11, 21 5:54 am    IMO Reply with quote

It's about the same in my opinion - they didn't say the nationality of the tourists though, usually if it's Canadian or American - or any other nationality other than Mexican - it's announced publicly. Through the summer there are more Mexican nationals here and at the beaches than non.

We just did the drive again last week and the only sketch situation we had was a weird check point in the Bay of LA at the Jupiter Base cutoff on the way to La Gringa. It was just odd there would be a checkpoint on a dead end road.

www.freeridekiting.com

apctjb

Since 19 Aug 2007
427 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Oct 11, 21 11:36 am     Reply with quote

Last year got stopped in Mexicali after crossing the border by police on a Covid violation (not properly wearing a mast while in the car driving, it was around my neck). They wanted money but when I said lets go to the station they went their way.

Was wondering what people think about having dash cams ?A possible deterrent for police/military shake downs or likely to piss them off and make things worse.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: