Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

4m UFO vs 5m SST for foiling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Sep 10, 21 11:44 am    4m UFO vs 5m SST for foiling Reply with quote

Just curious what everyone's thoughts are on going with a ufo vs ghost vs sst for the smaller sizes (<6m). I'm 170# and ride the 633. I personally love my 5m ufo for its magic with the foil. I've tried the 5m ufo with a surfboard on the coast and didn't have the best session- too much grunt.
I need a smaller kite for foiling on the bigger days and can't decide on a ufo, ghost or sst.
Currently, the 5m ufo is awesome from 16-22 or so. I'm looking to extend the range up from that. I have an older 5m sst that works great from 20-27 but is due to be replaced. The advantage to the sst is its versatility with the surfboard and a kite my kids are happy to use too.

I'm thinking these equivalents: 4m ufo = 4m ghost = 5m sst

The real question: anyone with experience in both think the ufo is that much superior to the sst for foiling in higher winds, like 20+? I know- first world concerns.

Cheers!

Lior

Since 26 Mar 2015
67 Posts

PostMon Sep 13, 21 11:25 am    smaller foils kites Reply with quote

Hi,
I found out that for the stronger winds I like a kite that has some struts that I can quickly bring up if it crashes into the water. So surf kites will work best as they drift well and this is what we need when we down wind.

I would like to get a smaller SST for my quiver. Right now I am using

9 UFO for Sauvie
7 Slash for Setevenson
6 Envy for 3 mile

I am 175 lbs and ride a 633 as well Smile

Lior

RapTrickster

Since 25 May 2016
6 Posts

Kook

PostMon Sep 13, 21 3:01 pm     Reply with quote

I’m on a 633 wing as well and also love the UFO 5m for 16-21 range (I’m 160 lbs). I have a UFO 3 and 7 as well. I’ve found that the 7 works well around 13-17 range and the 3 works around the 24 and up range. I’ve been surprised to find a hole between the 3 and 5 range when it’s blowing around 21-24 which is not uncommon. I guess I might need a 4, though I wasn’t aware the UFO came in the 4 that was mentioned in the initial post. Anyone have recommendations for filling the gap in my quiver between UFO 3 and 5?

RapTrickster

Since 25 May 2016
6 Posts

Kook

PostMon Sep 13, 21 5:34 pm     Reply with quote

I’m on a 633 wing as well and also love the UFO 5m for 16-21 range (I’m 160 lbs). I have a UFO 3 and 7 as well. I’ve found that the 7 works well around 13-17 range and the 3 works around the 24 and up range. I’ve been surprised to find a hole between the 3 and 5 range when it’s blowing around 21-24 which is not uncommon. I guess I might need a 4, though I wasn’t aware the UFO came in the 4 that was mentioned in the initial post. Anyone have recommendations for filling the gap in my quiver between UFO 3 and 5?

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4198 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon Sep 13, 21 7:18 pm     Reply with quote

Hopefully by the end of next month the new UFOs will be in. V2 UFO will come in 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-11 according to the Slingshot interviews at AWSI.

purdyd

Since 27 Nov 2006
41 Posts

PostTue Sep 14, 21 7:15 am     Reply with quote

RapTrickster wrote:
I’ve been surprised to find a hole between the 3 and 5 range when it’s blowing around 21-24 which is not uncommon. I guess I might need a 4, though I wasn’t aware the UFO came in the 4 that was mentioned in the initial post. Anyone have recommendations for filling the gap in my quiver between UFO 3 and 5?

Not such a surprise since going from a 5m to a 3m is like going from a 10m to a 6m

The ghost 4m ghost slots in between the 5 and 3 ufo

But as Nak said, (hi Mike) a 4m v2 ufo is coming. I’d wait for that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: