Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Beg wingfoil setup.. infinity 99 or 84?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
hobbsla

Since 28 Jan 2006
389 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Sep 01, 21 6:55 pm    Beg wingfoil setup.. infinity 99 or 84? Reply with quote

Putting together my beg wing foil board. Light wind area. Foil newb.

Im at 75kg or 165lbs. I have a slingwing v2 5.4 and a fanatic sky wing 6'0" @ 130L.

Narrowed it down to either the infinity 99 or 84. Also may buy a 18" mast to use at first then switch back to the 28" it come with.

any opinions on what size i should get?

Thanks!

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostWed Sep 01, 21 7:04 pm     Reply with quote

Do you already foil - with kite, windsurf or SUP? I

hobbsla

Since 28 Jan 2006
389 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Sep 01, 21 7:11 pm     Reply with quote

Total foil newb.

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostWed Sep 01, 21 10:09 pm     Reply with quote

I'd recommend the 99 then if you have no foil experience. I'd skip the short mast. I never found them very helpful when I was learning to kite foil. Sure you don't fall as far when you crash, but you have a very narrow window between breach and touchdown.

hilton

Since 15 Aug 2008
787 Posts

Opinionated

PostThu Sep 02, 21 6:28 am     Reply with quote

I'm 195 lbs and learned just fine with the Infinity 84 wing. It seems plenty big for typical Gorge winds (and I had Windsurf foil experience). I do agree with skipping the short mast. The 71cm mast is short enough that with a big board you can usually recover from a breach without crashing since the speeds are generally slower than with kite or windsurf foiling.
If you get the 99 foil, you'll have a nice beginner package to sell with the 130 liter board when you outgrow them both after 5 sessions. Wink

hobbsla

Since 28 Jan 2006
389 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Sep 02, 21 9:55 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

So skip the extra short mast. Good lol.

I'm definitely leaning towards the 99. The winds where I'm at are generally light so I'm thinking I'll need all the help I can get.

TommyK

Since 18 May 2015
47 Posts

PostThu Sep 02, 21 1:39 pm     Reply with quote

I may have some kook left in me but.....

i like my big(ish) board (120l ) - I'm 175lbs.....and front foil (1900cm ) for holie
"Gorgie" Corridor conditions which often seem to require a 5+ m wing or pumping the 4+ a lot - when trying to connect the gusts.....

Plaining or complaining my Man that's the key

Mrlaroo

Since 02 Jan 2007
181 Posts
Bend
Stoked

PostThu Sep 02, 21 5:52 pm     Reply with quote

99 and not a short mast but also not a long one if you are riding mainly light winds

kitebot

Since 20 Feb 2007
251 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Sep 05, 21 11:28 am     Reply with quote

I have been happy with the 84cm for 12mph to 30mph. I am 190lbs. It's not fast, but faster than the 99.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: