Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

More dog issues and further discussion needed
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
wytcap

Since 10 Mar 2005
203 Posts
NW oregon
Stoked

PostTue Jun 26, 07 3:07 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
Could we just tie up the misbehaving dogs? Have a holding area for bad dogs. That way when the owner claims the dogs they are informed of what the dog did and if the dog did some damage the owner must pay in order to get the dog back. And repeat offenders are banned. This would mitigate the problem of having the victim find the owner.

Are you going to be the Dog police???

Come on people this beyond funny.

Would you let your child run throgh and over everyone's stuff?? Shocked

Bonetti

Since 29 Apr 2007
411 Posts
So. Cal./Oregon
Obsessed

PostTue Jun 26, 07 3:34 pm    More dog issues and further discussion needed Reply with quote

I think this is bull shit, If someones dog does something its on the owner!!! Don't mess it up for everyone! And yea so does that mean your gona tie up all the little kids running around under kites and over lines, since it a "Kite Beach" and all? And for the law thing I'm sure your not allowed to drink beers in the parking lot! You guys are being gay about the whole thing just let it go!!!!!

Bonetti

Since 29 Apr 2007
411 Posts
So. Cal./Oregon
Obsessed

PostTue Jun 26, 07 3:39 pm    More dog issues and further discussion needed Reply with quote

Plus how do you run into a dog? I bet if the guy hit a child it would be a different story!
Last edited by Bonetti on Tue Jun 26, 07 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostTue Jun 26, 07 3:42 pm     Reply with quote

wytcap wrote:

Are you going to be the Dog police???

Again the question remains - how often does this happen? If this happens only once in a while then the effort to put the misbehaving dogs in a holding area would be pretty minimal. If this happens all the time - then the effort to restrain the dogs would seem to be very great thus creating a larger problem.

wytcap

Since 10 Mar 2005
203 Posts
NW oregon
Stoked

PostTue Jun 26, 07 4:05 pm     Reply with quote

Define once in a while?? If I was Forrest and I was bit enough to break the skin, that defiantly would be enough for me! If a child is bit, this issue defiantly is real, but be real, a impound, not realistic.

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostTue Jun 26, 07 4:23 pm     Reply with quote

Smile Now were getting somewhere. An open conversation regarding dogs on the beach without any reference to homos, fagits, pussys, losers, threats to take someone down a dark alley, people getting kicked out of the gorge and so on and so forth.

OK - as for my definition of "once in a while" - I have no idea. I wanted to open this up to get some more information. How often do people get bit? Once a season? Twice a season? Once every ten seasons? I don't know. Thats why I asked the question. If someone is a regular in the kiting community and can elaborate on this it would be greatly appreciated. It would really assist in having a rational discussion about dogs on the beach.

Regarding the feasability of a dog impound. Again - this would depend on the number of frequencies. If this sort of stuff happens on a weekly basis then it wouldn't work. But what if this only happened a hand full of times a summer. We put a post in the middle of the sand spit or something like that and tie the dog up. Everyone sees the dog, recognizes the dog, maybe can even identify the owner. From there people will see who is picking up the dog. Appropriate actions can then be taken on the bad dog.

This isn't the only option for dealing with bad dogs. There are others. I would love to hear them from other people. Is there a way to deal with bad dogs? I am suggesting this because there are so many well behaved dogs that don't cause problems and it would be a shame to get rid of them due to a handful of dogs.

Can we please have an open discussion about options? Frequency? Things of that nature without any personal attacks, please! If you must resort to personal attacks and the temptation is too great go ahead and make fun of my gay ankle weights - no one has brought that up in a while Very Happy

wytcap wrote:
Define once in a while?? If I was Forrest and I was bit enough to break the skin, that defiantly would be enough for me! If a child is bit, this issue defiantly is real, but be real, a impound, not realistic.

kitezilla

Since 22 Jun 2006
453 Posts
gorge
Obsessed

PostTue Jun 26, 07 7:19 pm     Reply with quote

[quote="terremoto"]Smile

"We put a post in the middle of the sand spit or something like that and tie the dog up. "

No posts please, but you could bury a sack of rocks with a rope sticking up through the sand ( a "deadman").

Consider the fact that a tied up dog can not defend himself against a pack. That is not fair to the dog, and the owner will have a legitimate complaint against the one who tied up his dog.

Dickfircrick

Since 29 May 2007
62 Posts
Hood Rever

PostTue Jun 26, 07 7:24 pm    dogs and kiting Reply with quote

For one, if the Richman kid would quit kiting in the two inches of water next to all of the shoreline and actually go out into the water he would'nt be running into any animals,have the brothers not learned that playing in the shallows will get you hurt? I can understand if they are afraid of the deeper water,lots of kids are,but if that's not the case then stay the hell out of everybodys way and get out and play where we're suppose to.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostTue Jun 26, 07 7:27 pm     Reply with quote

Its a KITE beach not a dog beach. There is already a leash law.

www.naishkites.com

boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jun 26, 07 7:29 pm     Reply with quote

Please don't air sand bar ' dirty laundry ' on a public forum - V. UNCOOL. Everyone knows a few bad ruin it for the rest - whether it's sippin' on beers , dog's etc. Keep it chill, and confront in person those that aren't.

Bonetti

Since 29 Apr 2007
411 Posts
So. Cal./Oregon
Obsessed

PostTue Jun 26, 07 8:13 pm     Reply with quote

Yea there's a drinking law too guy, some rules are ment to be broken!!!

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Jun 26, 07 9:23 pm     Reply with quote

Are we all done on this subject? I don't think there's anything left to say... I totally agree that this should be settled on the beach. I think that's the best way to handle this.

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Jun 27, 07 7:28 am     Reply with quote

kitezilla wrote:

Consider the fact that a tied up dog can not defend himself against a pack. That is not fair to the dog, and the owner will have a legitimate complaint against the one who tied up his dog.

I will if you'll consider putting down the bong and backing away from it....

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostWed Jun 27, 07 7:43 am     Reply with quote

pkh wrote:
Are we all done on this subject? I don't think there's anything left to say... I totally agree that this should be settled on the beach. I think that's the best way to handle this.

Phil, give us a little bit more time. We are actually making some progress here.

I am a big dog advocate - I absolutely love them at the beach. One side of the group is saying - all dogs must be leashed. The other side is saying - take it up with the owner. Shred made a valuable point - if someone is a victim of a dog (whether it be a biting, dog chewing a bar/kite, dog jumping on people/cars, or whatever) the victim is now the responsible party to find the dogs owner. Is this a fair solution? If the answer is simply - take it up with the owner - then the victim then may be forced to set aside kiting time and walk around the beach to find the owner.

This is why I suggested the idea of a doggy impound. Some one pointed out the fact that a stake in the middle of the beach may not be a good idea because the dog cannot defend itself against a pack of other dogs.

What other suggestions can we come up with? A gated impound? A sack of rocks as was suggested earlier. This is an issue (obviously, or people wouldn't have such strong feelings about this). We are a group of smart and creative individuals - can we come up with a creative idea to resolve this issue so that everyone will be happy and just want to kite?

windslayer

Since 30 Apr 2007
153 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Jun 27, 07 8:18 am     Reply with quote

Ripped kites! Dog bites! 12 poo piles yesterday within a 3 foot radius where there is foot traffic, 2 known vehicals scratched to death, food snatched out of MY hand while eating and relaxing talking with friends, and really the list could go on. I have mixed feelings. I LOVE animals, however it has come to the point where peoples private purchased property has become damaged and for the vehiacal owners, it has now become more costly.

The poo situation is not entirely the kite dog owners fault. I am at the beach non kiters bring there dogs down as well because it is a great place for dogs to play and be themselves, but dont bring poo bags.

I am going to the port today for an outside reason, I will ONLY request for a baggie holer and another trash can so that this may be resolved quietly.

I did read on one foram violence and rippingly foul language. Please stop the harshness towards eachother.

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostWed Jun 27, 07 8:20 am     Reply with quote

The CGKA is talking to the port already in regards to getting some dog bags in place.

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostWed Jun 27, 07 8:22 am     Reply with quote

pacifichigh wrote:
The CGKA is talking to the port already in regards to getting some dog bags in place.

I have been to parks where the city will just put up post/box and then people fill it with their left over plastic grocery bags. These have worked well - because almost all of us have extra plastic grocery bags - we just drop them off before we kite.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: