Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

More dog issues and further discussion needed
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
shredbarbie

Since 17 Sep 2005
97 Posts
Hood River, OR

PostTue Jun 26, 07 9:23 am    More dog issues and further discussion needed Reply with quote

Hey all,

I think the dog issue is a REALLY important one after all the things I’ve seen and what’s been listed on the forum.

I was standing 10 feet from Shawn when he hit the golden lab. It was a HARD hit. I saw it coming during the whole photo shoot although other people standing around said not to worry about it and said the dog would get out of the way…. This was a PRO rider. Just think if it would have happened to someone not in as much control of their kite after such a collision.

There are two issues:

**To leash or not to leash when your dog is ATTENDED. This may be more flexible than the below issue and I won't comment on this because I think the issue below is the important one.

**UNATTENDED dogs. This has to stop in the parking lot and on the sandbar. It’s unsafe. Don’t go out and kite and leave your dog on the beach. If you own a pet, you are responsible for it at ALL times.

If you can’t find the owner, and don’t know who it is, you can’t tell them the issue. If I have an incident with a dog, especially a bite, I don’t want to be running around the beach asking who the owner is.

In addition, I’ve personally seen two instances of an unattended dog pee on kites and gear.

I’ve also seen dogs step on kites and break the canopies.

I’ve seen dogs get tangled in lines while someone is trying to launch, dangerous to both the dog and rider.

I’ve had a dog jump up and scratch my car in the kite parking lot.

Run/walk your dog AFTER you kite when you can ATTEND them.

This is factual information, not a rant. This is an important safety issue and one that needs a resolution to be discussed among the kiting community, the port and CGKA.

-Kirsten

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostTue Jun 26, 07 9:33 am     Reply with quote

Enough!!

shredbarbie

Since 17 Sep 2005
97 Posts
Hood River, OR

PostTue Jun 26, 07 9:42 am     Reply with quote

Are you saying you don't think this needs to be discussed?

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jun 26, 07 9:46 am     Reply with quote

pacifichigh wrote:
Enough!!

Is it? Should it be?

this is obviously a sore topic. At first, I too was tiring of all the posts, but perhaps we should let it play out? There's a chance a reasonable solution can be reached, and all can be happy. What's wrong with a gentle agreement amongst friends/fellow hobbyists? We're not laying down laws, we're just speaking freely...exactly what this forum is supposed to be for.

This doesn't just happen at the sandbar. I've been chased by dogs at lyle, played with random dogs in stevenson so they wouldn't cross up people's lines getting ready to kite, and watched dogs for people at sunset while they all took off upwind for the shipwreck. I'm not complaining, I like dogs fine when they are behaving, but there's times when I wish people would just watch their own dogs a little closer.

One of my dogs got bitten and shaken violently by a larger dog (not a kiter dog). Now (after huge vet bills out of my pocket), he is terrified of dogs larger than him (and some dogs in general). I keep him leashed so he stays near me, but when other people's dogs charge him (nice or not), it sends him into trembles and sometimes growls. People generally say, "don't worry, my dog is nice/fine"... I hold their dog back and try to shield my dog while telling them that my dog isn't.

The point is, as well as you know your dog, the person/dog the dog is charging has no idea.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Jun 26, 07 9:52 am     Reply with quote

shredbarbie wrote:
Are you saying you don't think this needs to be discussed?

People seem to be really sensitive on this issue, harsher words I have not seen in a long time. That pseudo-anonymity of the forum combined with how much people care about their dogs ... its a toxic combo.

I think some discussion should happen, but this is probably an instance where people need to be confronted on the beach. Not everybody reads the forum, and not everyone who has dogs on the sandbar even kites. So I think handling it off the forum is a good idea.

Even if CGKA or the Port creates or already has existing rules in place, there is nobody to enforce them. So its a matter of people stepping up and confronting dog owners themselves when issues arise. I think most will find if this is done in a considerate way, that tempers won't flare out of control like they do online.

Anyway that's my piece on it. In the interest of not taking the last word for myself I'd say we let this thread live for a few more hours (I gotta downwinder to hit) then I think we should call it good and lock it like the others.

shredbarbie

Since 17 Sep 2005
97 Posts
Hood River, OR

PostTue Jun 26, 07 9:56 am     Reply with quote

Phil,

The point of my post is that with UNATTENDED dogs, you may not be able to find the owner and running around trying to find them is not the responsibility of the victim.

That is what I am saying needs to be addressed.

Hopefully the responses to the post can stay on track.

-Kirsten

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostTue Jun 26, 07 10:02 am     Reply with quote

tell ya'll what. I'm gonna invest in some rope, and if i see a pack of dogs running around unattended, then i'm gonna herd them up and bring them to the parking lot and tie them to the posts in the ground used for stretching lines out, on a very short leash. Then, when the owner comes to claim the dog, we can tell them what their dog was doing is completely unacceptable and inform them of the leash law during the day.

If one or two lone dogs are running around playing, and dont have the pack mentality going i'd probably leave them alone. It is when a bunch of dogs get into that "pack" mentality, it seems that problems arise. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but i think this is probably the only way we can control dog packs running around. Does anyone think they have a better suggestion?

wytcap

Since 10 Mar 2005
203 Posts
NW oregon
Stoked

PostTue Jun 26, 07 10:18 am     Reply with quote

This should not be a issue, when people bring dogs to a public place they are responsible for the dogs and there actions, They have leash laws for a reason, and a crowded place is not the place to push the issue.
People need to act like adults.

scooter

Since 23 Apr 2005
99 Posts
hood River

PostTue Jun 26, 07 10:18 am     Reply with quote

Im bringing my lasso to the spit next time! Did someone say rodeo!?!

Seriously though, I was there with shred barbie when Shawn Richmann was litterally almost killed by the dog he collided with. It was the most violent collision Ive seen out there. Shocked

This is about the safety of the dog two. That lab should have had a broken back!

Love your pet enough to keep him out of harms way!!! Very Happy

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostTue Jun 26, 07 10:22 am     Reply with quote

Shred, I see where you are coming from.

Could we just tie up the misbehaving dogs? Have a holding area for bad dogs. That way when the owner claims the dogs they are informed of what the dog did and if the dog did some damage the owner must pay in order to get the dog back. And repeat offenders are banned. This would mitigate the problem of having the victim find the owner.

I don't own a dog, but I enjoy having dogs run around. They actually seem to be having more fun than the humans. Its very healthy for them to be able to run around and stretch their legs and to be free. For some of these dogs this is their only opportunity to run around and actually be dogs (and not pets).

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jun 26, 07 11:11 am     Reply with quote

Port Guideline: "Keep your dog on a leash with you at all times."

Arrow http://www.portofhoodriver.com/Water%20Safety%20Brochure%20Eagle%20Project%202007.pdf

Dogs.jpg 

Kraemer

Since 24 Apr 2006
1735 Posts
Sky Pilot
Unicorn Captain

PostTue Jun 26, 07 11:19 am     Reply with quote

Shred Barbie, (and all)

I love dogs and have them but-- I don't bring them kiting with me because ---->

"There is a LAW... and it states "There is a leash law during the day. Early am and dusk dogs can run free otherwise they must be leashed."

This goes for the parking lot and the spit. It would be nice if we could all cooperate and handle your pooch with respect for others. Many times I've had to fend off dogs coming over to pee or investigate / step on and chew my gear. I even got blamed once for screwing up someone elses gear -- that their dog chewed!

eskeeme

Since 23 May 2007
44 Posts
White Salmon

PostTue Jun 26, 07 1:27 pm     Reply with quote

I love dogs and I love the fact that you can bring your dog down to the spit to play. I don't have a dog anymore Sad , but it is fun to throw a ball or just hang with em, HOWEVER, the dog situation down there has gotten out of hand! If your dog tends to get scared of other dogs, has a history of biteing, or generally doesn't listen, maybe you should just leave em at home. The spit is not a dog park, it is a kite beach. People need to start using their own discretion with there own dogs. Dogs will be dogs and you can't really do to much about that, but as an owner, you need to keep your dog in check! If your dog is chasin the kiters out on the river, you should have them on a leash or by your side for there safety and ours. Running over lines is big too! I've made the mistake a few times of throwin a ball for em and they charge right over the kites and lines. It's been easy to avoid the kites and lines by not throwin the ball OVER anything and havin a clear path for them to just charge!

Long story short, your dog is your BABY! You don't let em out of your site, you keep them under control at all times(ie chasin kites, biting, pissin on kites, ect.), and understand when NOT to have them on the beach(like when 50 kites are in the air)! Oh and pick up the CRAP they leave behind.

I still want people to be able to bring there dogs down to have a good time, but if you do, remember you have a responsability to the kiters, other dogs, and the beach! We can do this! Let's work together, share ideas, and make it happen!

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostTue Jun 26, 07 2:07 pm     Reply with quote

Kraemer wrote:

"There is a LAW... and it states "There is a leash law during the day. Early am and dusk dogs can run free otherwise they must be leashed."

Yes, there is a law. I don't think anyone can argue that. But, do we all follow all the laws? What about the rule that says no kiteboarding on the spit in front of the event site? I am at the spit most saturdays and sundays and sometimes during the week - and everytime I'm there - there are kiteboarders outright breaking the law by rigging up there kites where they are not supposed to (by the way, I'm one of them Very Happy ).

This could very well be a form of civil disobedience: Which wikepdia defines as follows: "Civil disobedience encompasses the active refusal to obey certain laws, demands and commands of a government or of an occupying power without resorting to physical violence. It could be said that it is compassion in the form of respectful disagreement."

Yes, there is a law. But the question becomes: should it be followed? Should every single law, regulation, restriction be followed? What about speeding? Rigging our kites where we are not supposed to?

Does violating this law cause more harm than good? I asked this question before, but I will ask it again. How often do these loose dogs cause problems? Forrest was bit, people are saying that they have had their gear pissed on, there are craps in the water, and so on and so forth. So yes, there is a problem. But, how big is it? How often does it happen? I am there quite a bit and don't see any of this going on. However, I am not looking for it, so maybe I am just naive in believing this doesn't happen all that often. If someone could elaborate on the frequency of these problems that would be greatly appreciated.

And if it is decided that the problem happens often, then would there be a way of dealing with this problem besides banning all non-leashed dogs. Like say for example - banning certain dogs (repeat offenders). Or create a holding area as I suggested in my previous post. Would this solve the problem? Or is the problem so big that the only way to deal with it is to ban all non-leashed animals?

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostTue Jun 26, 07 2:39 pm     Reply with quote

terremoto wrote:
I am at the spit most saturdays and sundays and sometimes during the week - and everytime I'm there - there are kiteboarders outright breaking the law by rigging up there kites where they are not supposed to (by the way, I'm one of them Very Happy ).

i was under the impression that we did not have to vacate the 600 foot strip of sandbar to the south of the yellow cone, unless there were encroaching windsurfers that wished to use that section of the beach to rig and launch. it seems to me, that most windsurfers wont put forth the effort to walk all their gear that far out to rig it up, so there is no reason that space should be wasted. This also seems like a perfect compromise if you ask me, seeing has how we gave them their 600'x600' no fly zone and actually dont fly our kites in there Smile

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostTue Jun 26, 07 2:48 pm     Reply with quote

You would probably know the law better than I do. I read posts on the kiteforum and my understanding was that we are not supposed to be there. However, there haven't been too many windsurfers out yet (probably due to the fact winds haven't been that strong) - so the windsurfers stay on the grass. But eventually I'm sure they will spill over to the kiteboarding continent Sad Thats when I am guess we will need to give them that space.

magicmaker wrote:
terremoto wrote:
I am at the spit most saturdays and sundays and sometimes during the week - and everytime I'm there - there are kiteboarders outright breaking the law by rigging up there kites where they are not supposed to (by the way, I'm one of them Very Happy ).

i was under the impression that we did not have to vacate the 600 foot strip of sandbar to the south of the yellow cone, unless there were encroaching windsurfers that wished to use that section of the beach to rig and launch. it seems to me, that most windsurfers wont put forth the effort to walk all their gear that far out to rig it up, so there is no reason that space should be wasted. This also seems like a perfect compromise if you ask me, seeing has how we gave them their 600'x600' no fly zone and actually dont fly our kites in there Smile

crasher

Since 21 Jul 2005
23 Posts
Long Island, NY

PostTue Jun 26, 07 3:06 pm     Reply with quote

The first trip I made to the Gorge was in Aug '05. The place blew my mind. It was everything I expected it to be and more. The kiting, the scenery, the laid back vibe and cool people. As a dog owner and dog lover living in New York, I was also so happy to see how dog friendly the place is. As a dog owner in New York, It seems like you can't go anywhere without seeing signs that say "No Dogs". Sign, sign, everywhere a sign, blockin' up the scenery, breakin' my mind.

Having said that, I think that many of you have very legitimate concerns that have to be addressed.

Dog owners have to be responsible for there dog's actions.

All I'm saying is please don't start covering the Spit with "No Dog" signs without exhausting all other options first. That would break my heart.

On one of my trips I was at the spit playing with a beautiful yellow lab. I took a look at his collar to see what his name was and it read " My name is Slingshot(I think). My owner is out kiting right now. Please don't steal me." I thought that was one of the coolest things I ever saw.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: