Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kiteboard rescue by boat or jetski
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostTue Jun 26, 07 7:41 am    Kiteboard rescue by boat or jetski Reply with quote

I have several friends who are nice enough to come "rescue" people when they get into problems. They do this out of the goodness of there hearts. The people are reluctant to receive help for they dont want to be charged. Apparently someone is charging $100 for a rescue! Mad WTF! Way to take advantage Mad

What ever happened to getting good Karma and a beer or maybe a few bucks for gas?

If you see a Zodiac with a black nisson motor know that they are coming up to help you for FREE! Of course the driver does like beer!

Mark

www.naishkites.com

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostTue Jun 26, 07 8:00 am     Reply with quote

Jimbo offered to help me on his Jet Ski about two weeks ago - the winds died and then my kite inverted Sad

I still owe you a beer! I'll try and bring a cold one to the spit next time I go out (just let me know your preference).

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostTue Jun 26, 07 8:58 am     Reply with quote

Hey I am always up for a good beer Smile

I was pretty shocked a couple weekends ago when I drove out to help someone and they refused my help because they thought I was going to charge them $100 for the rescue. I was like WTF?? I just want to help out, they ahd been drifting for a while and were understandably cold and frustrated. I did manage to convince them I was just out there to help out and they apologized for their frustration.

But seriously who is out they actually charging for a jet-ski rescue??

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostTue Jun 26, 07 9:06 am     Reply with quote

Jimbo, I hope you are not referring to me who refused your help. You came out to give me a hand - I didn't think you were going to charge me. I definately appreciated you coming out - but I had been swimming for 30 minutes and was less than 10 minutes away. So I figured it wasn't a big deal. But like I said - I still owe you a beer.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Jun 26, 07 9:06 am     Reply with quote

I've never asked for anything, a smile is nice, a six pack better! Very Happy (though its really not needed.)

$100 bucks is nuts!

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostTue Jun 26, 07 9:42 am     Reply with quote

big HUGE thanks to bettyboarder for coming out and checking on me on her jet ski when i was waaaayyyy out in the channel on saturday and having tons of trouble getting my kite relaunched. Took me about 35 minutes to untangle my lines from my kite barrel rolling and then getting it relaunched; you definately would have been a life (and gear) saver had a barge come through in that time.

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostTue Jun 26, 07 11:17 am     Reply with quote

No worries glad you got your kite back up, always a good reason to ride my ski in the big swell so fun.

$100 is crazy man. Jimbo is right a nice smile and a kind thank you is all I need. I figure it's good karma to help out fellow kiters cause I know when I get in trouble someone has always helped me out.

One thing that is a big help if we do come out to get u on the jet ski is to make sure you have your lines all wrapped up, once we get there its awesome if you deflate your leading edge and roll the kite up best you can saves us a lot of time in the big swell.

Anyway glad to help, see a gold ski out there and someones in trouble just come find me or phil and we go get them.

Kraemer

Since 24 Apr 2006
1735 Posts
Sky Pilot
Unicorn Captain

PostTue Jun 26, 07 11:19 am     Reply with quote

It's 40 bucks at Roosevelt...

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jun 26, 07 11:34 am     Reply with quote

Bettyboarder wrote:

One thing that is a big help if we do come out to get u on the jet ski is to make sure you have your lines all wrapped up, once we get there its awesome if you deflate your leading edge and roll the kite up best you can saves us a lot of time in the big swell.

this is great info. I haven't had to be rescued yet, but I wouldn't have known this. Is there anything else to make the situation/rescue better?

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2062 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue Jun 26, 07 11:44 am     Reply with quote

Kraemer wrote:
It's 40 bucks at Roosevelt...

It is still an early season for all, I suspect the price will go down as the # of free rescue offers increase. I still think it is a nice service to have, especially for some of the folk new to the sport in and around the SB.

But yeah, I'd rather just pay in beer. . . Drunk Exclamation

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostTue Jun 26, 07 12:20 pm     Reply with quote

Nope I wasn't talking about you terremoto, someone I rescued past the bridge.

There is another thread on here that has good info about what to do with your stuff when being rescued. The biggest key as Nicole said is to get your lines all rolled up so they don't get sucked into the jetski.

I guess I can understand charging for a rescue service if you are just bringing the jet ski out for that sole purpose and you're not a kiter. It could be a lucrative business.

4Stringer/KipWinger

Since 27 Apr 2005
541 Posts
Hood River
Addicted

PostTue Jun 26, 07 1:12 pm    Zodiac Killer Reply with quote

The Zodiac Rescuer struck yesterday. I was the first victim...rescued.

He followed-up by plucking 3 kiters up in one boat load. Good stuff.

bandito

Since 07 May 2005
178 Posts

Photographer

PostTue Jun 26, 07 1:46 pm     Reply with quote

I bring by ski with me to Rufus every weekend I'm out there and this is what I hear on the beach.

"I know the conditons suck, but the dude with the jet ski is here so don't worry about it just go out." or "I'm just learning and I'm sure glad there's a rescue ski here." and "Hey, you with the jet ski, my buddy can't seem to get his board, mind if I jump on your ski and go get it for him?"and best yet "I don't know where the guy is that owns the jet ski, but I saw where he put the key, so I'll just hop on and go rescue my friend."

Well, I'm done! If I don't know you there will be no rescues unless it's life or death. I'm leaving the key to the jet ski around my dogs neck, so if you aren't someone he knows, good luck getting the key.

Bandito

jack

Since 12 Mar 2006
211 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Jun 26, 07 1:51 pm     Reply with quote

uh oh bandito, you might have just turned this into another dog thread... Shocked

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostTue Jun 26, 07 2:13 pm     Reply with quote

Bandito, thats pretty messed up. People should not take for granted that someone with a jet ski is going to help out. They are not life guards. As for people "borrowing" your jet ski without your permission - dude, thats actually against the law - trespass on property. Thats not right either.

I am always appreciative when I see people on jet skis or boats willing to help out (I was rescued by a sail boat once Very Happy ) but I never expect anyone to help me out.

bandito wrote:
I bring by ski with me to Rufus every weekend I'm out there and this is what I hear on the beach.

"I know the conditons suck, but the dude with the jet ski is here so don't worry about it just go out." or "I'm just learning and I'm sure glad there's a rescue ski here." and "Hey, you with the jet ski, my buddy can't seem to get his board, mind if I jump on your ski and go get it for him?"and best yet "I don't know where the guy is that owns the jet ski, but I saw where he put the key, so I'll just hop on and go rescue my friend."

Well, I'm done! If I don't know you there will be no rescues unless it's life or death. I'm leaving the key to the jet ski around my dogs neck, so if you aren't someone he knows, good luck getting the key.

Bandito

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2575 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostTue Jun 26, 07 3:42 pm     Reply with quote

Sasquatch wrote:
I still think it is a nice service to have, especially for some of the folk new to the sport in and around the SB.

I watched someone self-taco into the pilons at Stevenson today. I was a little concerned for them... The guy next to me said.."everyone's their own captain out on the river."

I think there's some truth to that, especially when conditions aren't life threatening...i.e. cold. The punishment of a long swim is a great learning tool. That being said, I've always been grateful when someone's helped me avoid a long swim...

Wink

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Jun 26, 07 5:59 pm     Reply with quote

jack wrote:
uh oh bandito, you might have just turned this into another dog thread... Shocked

LOL!

yeah that sucks bandito... just having a ski there doesn't mean people should relax and not expect that they will need to self rescue if shit hits the fan.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: