Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Best location for Thanksgiving
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
dobermankby

Since 07 Jul 2021
23 Posts

PostMon Aug 16, 21 9:51 pm    Best location for Thanksgiving Reply with quote

Hello, I'm a beginner, I was first able to stand up on the board two weeks ago during my lesson in Lyle, and I got a few practice sessions in Hood River by myself since then. I caught the bug and now looking to fill all my future holidays with kiteboarding Smile I would like to take a trip during Thanksgiving to a beginner friendly location with guaranteed good wind. My options so far are "Isla Blanca", "SPI", and "La Ventana".
I'm more biased towards Isla Blanca since it's a direct flight from Seattle (so is La Ventana), and it looks and sounds beautiful. Plus there's El Cuyo that I can check out during the same trip. My only concern is I keep hearing suggestions about bringing a "big kite". I hear the season for Yucatan is Nov-May, but I guess it's better after Feb? So I'm not sure how good it'd be during Thanksgiving.
SPI is definitely on my list, I was thinking of checking it out around April, but I can do that this Thanksgiving too, if the wind is as good in November.
La Ventana sounds like better chance to get good wind, but is it a good beginner spot? It seemed a bit wavy in video I watched, hard to tell if it'd be OK for a super beginner like me.
Any other suggestions are also welcome. Thanks!

Pete

Since 29 Oct 2007
829 Posts

Opinionated

PostTue Aug 17, 21 8:13 am    Guaranteed wind Reply with quote

There is no such thing as guaranteed wind. Go whereever you think you would enjoy your time there the best if you don't get wind.

MrGie

Since 17 Feb 2015
55 Posts

PostTue Aug 17, 21 11:15 am    . Reply with quote

Go to hatteras / outer banks , nc

Go in April or October

Guaranteed to ride 4-10m kites.

Been there 8 times and always had wind.

Kiteridersllc.com (Robert Cook) makes semi-annual trips and books a house in the best spots. Would highly recommend going with him.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2571 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostTue Aug 17, 21 12:02 pm     Reply with quote

I would take a "big kite" or a foil or both on any trip where kiting is your main priority. I don't know what a big kite is to you, for me at 195lbs it's a 17M. I wouldn't go anywhere without at least a 12M.

I think LaVentana or SPI are both good choices for a beginner and for wind @ Thanksgiving. We've spent many Thanksgivings on Maui and I don't recall ever being too disappointed by wind. It's not the best for beginners but not too bad inside the reef...and hey, you're on Maui!

Thumb's Up

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostTue Aug 17, 21 12:18 pm     Reply with quote

My new favorite is Los Barrilles. But then.... I've turned into a person who appreciates and few hours every evening where the soul topic of conversation isn't kiteboarding.
Actually dined with people down there who came all that way..... for pickleball Smile

Swell is better too.
Had beachfront kitchenette at Martin Verdugos for $70 a night.

Marcus O

Since 30 May 2018
98 Posts

PostTue Aug 17, 21 12:54 pm     Reply with quote

SPI doesn't have much to offer when the wind sucks but it can be good if you're looking for flat shallow water. La Ventana has a great community, amazing food and lots of fun stuff to do when there's no wind - mountain biking, snorkeling, swim with whale sharks, dance, get drunk, etc. It's a great place to learn because you can do long downwinders which gives you a ton of practice time. If the shit hits the fan you'll just end up down at the end of the catchers mitt. Granted it'll take a while to get there depending on where you're at but you'll get there eventually - most likely near Baja Joes or the Mezcalería where you can enjoy a margarita while you untangle your lines. Lodging is cheap and you don't need a car either. Contact Shuttle Sam and he'll get you to and from the airport for $65 USD or less each way. Regarding kite size: I ride a surfboard and fly a 7m, 9m, and 11m when I'm there but I'd say the 9m gets used the most. Have fun wherever you go Very Happy

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Aug 17, 21 3:15 pm     Reply with quote

The thing about La Ventana in November is it can blow 3-4 days in a row or not blow for 2 weeks. If you live there, no sweat but if your visiting for a week you could get completely skunked. No way to tell in November, I’ve seen it blow 20 days and seen it blow 3. Total crapshoot that time of year from what I’ve seen.

Marcus O

Since 30 May 2018
98 Posts

PostTue Aug 17, 21 3:34 pm     Reply with quote

knotwindy wrote:
The thing about La Ventana in November is it can blow 3-4 days in a row or not blow for 2 weeks. If you live there, no sweat but if your visiting for a week you could get completely skunked. No way to tell in November, I’ve seen it blow 20 days and seen it blow 3. Total crapshoot that time of year from what I’ve seen.

Oh yeah I guess I'm looking at it from the perspective of being there for more than a month. Kinda rolling the dice if it's only for a week.

Pete

Since 29 Oct 2007
829 Posts

Opinionated

PostTue Aug 17, 21 3:37 pm    San Felipe Reply with quote

Every Thanksgiving for the last five years that I can remember, it has been windy in San Felipe. Seems to deliver every Thanksgiving.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Aug 17, 21 6:29 pm     Reply with quote

Editing out my feeble attempt at humor and replacing with some real information...

Quote:
My options so far are "Isla Blanca", "SPI", and "La Ventana"

I've spent time at all three and would recommend them. However as a beginner I would recommend La Ventana.

With Isla Blanca and SPI, winds are often pushing you away from shore. La Ventana winds always push you into the "catcher's mit" where you can then walk back up and repeat.

Once you become proficient visit the other spots.

Also - remember to do the "Stingray Shuffle" when walking in the shallows at Isla Blanca and SPI.

Last edited by bigjohn on Wed Aug 18, 21 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1249 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostTue Aug 17, 21 9:01 pm    SPI Reply with quote

My wife's a non-kiter and prefers SPI to La Ventana for activities - live music, fat biking or horseback riding on the beach, fishing, SUP (without getting stung by jellyfish, which happened to be a problem when we visited LV though everyone says that's rare). SPI is excellent for working on skills because it's shallow and the wind tends to be steady and the water isn't very choppy in the laguna. That said, I wouldn't bank on wind in SPI over Thanksgiving. Fall is hit and miss there; I've been skunked for three straight weeks one October. I've spent Thanksgivings there previously and would go to hang out with friends and avoid cold or rainy weather but not under the assumption I'd be kiting.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Aug 18, 21 8:02 am     Reply with quote

Pick up a used 12m for your "big kite". Sounds like you're from the Seattle area so a 14m might be very useful if you plan on kiting at Jetty Island. Sounds like funds aren't a big problem for you and so save yourself some time and sunks and get yourself a "big kite". Got to ask yourself where you see yourself kiting in the future. With a surfboard and or foil a 12m is much more useful IMHO.

And speaking of time savings, go for the direct flights.

Never been to SPI or Outer Banks back east, but they sound nice.

Been to LB and LV and that is what I would suggest since there is a direct flight there. Great seafood and tequila. And lots to do if not windy.

Also been to Maui and you could get some lessons and stay on the inside of the break. Maui is also very nice and a direct flight too.

And for something outside the box; I hear Brazil is the bomb in November and I'm pretty sure there and many places with lagoons and shallow water. Not sure if it is available with CV-19 and travel etc etc since things seem to change day-by-day.

The season isn't over around here. Consider heading down to Floras Lake and hit Will up for a lesson with boat support. Or just stay at his place and kite the shallow water on the north side of the lake.

Welcome to the "Juana's Addicción"!

Link

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Aug 18, 21 2:37 pm     Reply with quote

To me the biggest factor for beginners is shallow water, it'll just make your life so much more enjoyable.

I would for sure choose Isla Blanca (or maybe Isla Holbox) for the shallow and warm water.

SPI has great shallow water, as does OBX but in November both can be very cold if the wind is coming from the North.

dobermankby

Since 07 Jul 2021
23 Posts

PostWed Aug 18, 21 11:44 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for all the responses. I ended up booking La Ventana for 5 days after suggestions here and doing a bit more research. November seems like the peak wind time there, while it's not quite peak yet in SPI or Isla Blanca. Plus the catchers mitt sounds really nice for a super beginner like me. It gets exhausting to walk upwind 90% of my time on the water in other spots. Based on wind stats, I will try to do Isla Blanca in March and SPI in May. (there goes all my vacation days)

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Aug 19, 21 7:04 am     Reply with quote

Sweet, best of luck and have a blast!

IWantToFly

Since 29 Jul 2019
143 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Aug 19, 21 12:22 pm     Reply with quote

dobermankby wrote:
(there goes all my vacation days)
Welcome to kiting!

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostThu Aug 19, 21 12:57 pm     Reply with quote

dobermankby wrote:
(there goes all my vacation days)

There goes my formerly happy bride. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: