Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Don't forget to look up when learning to wing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
dhhr

Since 09 Jul 2015
28 Posts
Hood River

PostWed Aug 11, 21 1:00 pm    Don't forget to look up when learning to wing Reply with quote

I think it's fantastic to see all the enthusiasm for winging in the Gorge, and love that there are so many forms of recreation taking place on the water.

A few times this week, however I've had several near misses near the White Salmon Bridge and one collision with a winger at Rufus - I had just launched my kite and was heading out on port side when out of nowhere a winger appeared up wind and was headed straight downwind at me at a very fast pace looking straight down at his board apparently concentrating on staying on a plane. I yelled loudly and thankfully he slowed down & came down off a plane just in time to avoid a major collision and our boards bumped into each other with no serious damage or injuries.

The common thing with my collision and near misses is that people are concentrating on their boards and not looking up at the surrounding people, conditions, etc, in very windy (30mph) conditions, or their vision is blocked by the wing.

Hoping that folks (kiters, wingers, windsurfers, boaters, etc) all continue to take care to pay attention to their surroundings to avoid any injuries/collisions/conflicts.

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostWed Aug 11, 21 1:32 pm     Reply with quote

I see this turning into a discussion on “Gorge swell riding right of way ideas vs standard sailing right of way rules.”

Or the ever popular, “Get off my wave, you lawn mowing kook!”

Not to say you are a lawn mower, or the winger was blameless. Everybody needs to be alert and willing to give a little. Alas, this has been an issue since the windsurfing days.

It’s totally unnerving to have anything upwind in the blind spot. A foiler, kids floating down from big boosts, somebody so focused on a swell they don’t remember to look before swerving. And twenty folks crowded into the honey hole.

With the advent of serious foiling skills, a good spot with swell looks like a game of frogger.

Play nice and share, watch out for the other guy, expect mistakes, find some space and let it rip.

There’s another swell right behind this one.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2571 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostThu Aug 12, 21 9:20 am     Reply with quote

Yes, a common mistake I made myself for while. Looking ahead through the turn and just feeling the carve of the foil with your feet will unlock your jibes! (as well as raise awareness)

dhhr

Since 09 Jul 2015
28 Posts
Hood River

PostThu Aug 12, 21 10:57 am     Reply with quote

good feedback - in this case (or at least in this post), it's not a 'right of way' argument or rant, it's just a reminder to look up at surrounding kiters etc while learning. Excellent advice to look ahead through the turn - will keep that in mind when learning!

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostThu Aug 12, 21 12:15 pm     Reply with quote

Singlemalt wrote:
I see this turning into a discussion on “Gorge swell riding right of way ideas vs standard sailing right of way rules.”

Or the ever popular, “Get off my wave, you lawn mowing kook!”

Not to say you are a lawn mower, or the winger was blameless. Everybody needs to be alert and willing to give a little. Alas, this has been an issue since the windsurfing days.

It’s totally unnerving to have anything upwind in the blind spot. A foiler, kids floating down from big boosts, somebody so focused on a swell they don’t remember to look before swerving. And twenty folks crowded into the honey hole.

With the advent of serious foiling skills, a good spot with swell looks like a game of frogger.

Play nice and share, watch out for the other guy, expect mistakes, find some space and let it rip.

There’s another swell right behind this one.

STARBOARD!!!! Laughing

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1249 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostThu Aug 12, 21 7:27 pm     Reply with quote

tinyE wrote:
STARBOARD!!!! :lol:

ROTFLMAO... dammit I can't find that video! Dangler at his finest... ;-)

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1742 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostFri Aug 13, 21 12:57 am    haha Reply with quote

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/post-159281.html&highlight=#159281

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostFri Aug 13, 21 9:11 am     Reply with quote

hey, if i wanted to get familiar with my wing before heading out to get yelled at with "STARBOARD!!!" Is the hook an ok place to putz around with my wing and a SUP? I certainly don't want to get in the way, but I would like some time with it before i jump in the way of someone else.

edit. i found this, and it seems like yes
https://www.realwatersports.com/blogs/news/wing-surfing-the-gorge

is the hook area really deep enough to foil in?

mikeinhoodriver

Since 23 Apr 2009
387 Posts
down wind somewhere
Obsessed

PostFri Aug 13, 21 9:31 am     Reply with quote

tinyE wrote:
hey, if i wanted to get familiar with my wing before heading out to get yelled at with "STARBOARD!!!" Is the hook an ok place to putz around with my wing and a SUP? I certainly don't want to get in the way, but I would like some time with it before i jump in the way of someone else.

edit. i found this, and it seems like yes
https://www.realwatersports.com/blogs/news/wing-surfing-the-gorge

is the hook area really deep enough to foil in?

Yeah, that is what I have been doing. The scene is pretty chill there as well since everyone else are beginners also. There are a mixed bag of foilers and people running an SUP. The water is plenty deep providing the Corp doesnt drop the water level.

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1742 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostFri Aug 13, 21 10:33 am    sup Reply with quote

SUPs are good for a ride or three. What worked for me was the Slingy Supwinder. Kinda spendy (some friends gifted me one) and once you put it on a sup its ON THE SUP but you can remove the fin and the stuck on box stays on the board.

It allows you get on a broad reach instead of just going downwind. You'll wanna get on a big floaty with a mammoth foil setup soon, and then the "fun"(READ: full body struggle fest ending where your car is not located) begins.

I was enjoying the process evan tho the rewards seemed distant and then I GOT UP ON THE MUTHAFARKING FOIL AND I WAS HOOKED!! Now I have foil brain, exchanging food and rent money for carbon toys, spending inordinate amounts of time thinking about wingy dingy thingies, and ,well, it's a rabbit hole I avoided for a long time.

Yes the foil is magic. Glad I jumped back on the stoke wagon.

mikeinhoodriver

Since 23 Apr 2009
387 Posts
down wind somewhere
Obsessed

PostFri Aug 13, 21 10:45 am    Re: sup Reply with quote

dangler wrote:
SUPs are good for a ride or three. What worked for me was the Slingy Supwinder. Kinda spendy (some friends gifted me one) and once you put it on a sup its ON THE SUP but you can remove the fin and the stuck on box stays on the board.

It allows you get on a broad reach instead of just going downwind. You'll wanna get on a big floaty with a mammoth foil setup soon, and then the "fun"(READ: full body struggle fest ending where your car is not located) begins.

I was enjoying the process evan tho the rewards seemed distant and then I GOT UP ON THE MUTHAFARKING FOIL AND I WAS HOOKED!! Now I have foil brain, exchanging food and rent money for carbon toys, spending inordinate amounts of time thinking about wingy dingy thingies, and ,well, it's a rabbit hole I avoided for a long time.

Yes the foil is magic. Glad I jumped back on the stoke wagon.

Dang,
I took it a step farther and bought an Air7 glue on finbox for my Crossbreed. Already had that bad boy on plane so time to learn to foil, lol. But getting back on topic, yeah look up and have fun.

65015787050__EF7C6DF2-1524-477F-8CF3-A0A0C02DE1AE.JPEG
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  65015787050__EF7C6DF2-1524-477F-8CF3-A0A0C02DE1AE.JPEG
 Filesize:  872.92 KB
 Downloaded:  393 Time(s)
 Note:  Use Pixlr to resize images to lower than 1024x768 resolution so they show up inline.

IMG_2323.JPEG
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  IMG_2323.JPEG
 Filesize:  1.07 MB
 Downloaded:  386 Time(s)
 Note:  Use Pixlr to resize images to lower than 1024x768 resolution so they show up inline.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: