Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

OMFG kiting in Minnesota!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Speedo

Since 07 May 2007
262 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Jun 25, 07 5:44 pm    OMFG kiting in Minnesota! Reply with quote

Ok, I know people kite in Minnesota, but c'mon. It can't be any good. Well I have to tell you guys i was pleasantly surprised. WE're at Leech lake near walker, MN for my GF's family reunion. I thought I would be bummed not being able to kite for 2 weeks, doing family stuff, but got some today on 13M. Doing jumps and rolls. it was pretty good! Didnt even have to wear a wetsuit. And the locals think i'm a stud. Well, that (the studliness) is true but usually i have to tell people. I'm so glad i listened to my girlfriend and brought my kiting stuff. (she's great, knows how to launch, comes to get my ass when I'm swimming- and i swim a lot as anyone who has been going to stevenson knows- i gotta cut that crap out, and she wants to learn to KB)

Launches are scary, windshadows lots of trees. and straight on shore winds. But thats cause im too lazy to go look for a decnt spot to launch. Of course there were several times when i got fooled by what the wind was doing and had to swim in after about 15 minutes (worth it though). But I think we have it sorta dialed. I'm hoping for wind tommorrow!

hope you all are ripping it up. see yas in a couple of weeks.

Woot!

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostMon Jun 25, 07 10:32 pm     Reply with quote

I have been to Leetch lake a long time ago. You could go to Cass lake which is close and ussually has a decent amount of wind and nice sandy beaches.

da lox

Since 24 May 2007
22 Posts
hood river, or

PostTue Jun 26, 07 8:53 am     Reply with quote

Hey,

I'm a native Minnesotan and you betcha there are some great spots for wind sports. In the land of 10,000 lakes, there are bound to be some good beaches. I prefer Lake Washington, which is about an hour straight west of Minneapolis. There is a sandbar out in the middle of the lake that produces great rollers.

Have fun!

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostTue Jun 26, 07 9:00 am     Reply with quote

Another good place is actually Mille Lac's. My dad and I used to do thecrossing every year in the fall. ZBasically a race across the lake. Its about 20 miles wide and ussually has some good wind as well.

chanson

Since 31 Jan 2006
1873 Posts
WISCONSIN
Chimey

PostTue Jun 26, 07 9:08 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
In the land of 10,000 lakes, there are bound to be some good beaches.

Oh yeah, there are tons of spots in Minn....

But, you do know that Wisconsin actually has more than 10,000 lakes. Very Happy

Quote:
I'm hoping for wind tommorrow!

-Hell yeah, I was home in Wisco for 8 days, and only got out 2 of them.. warm water was real nice though. Way to get some!!!

boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jun 26, 07 7:03 pm     Reply with quote

The Great Lakes are absolutely stellar if things set up right too. I wouldn't consider that area ' land locked ' for sure.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: