Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

OT: Anyone had a pinguecula removed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2571 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostWed Aug 04, 21 10:09 am    OT: Anyone had a pinguecula removed Reply with quote

I've got a pinguecula and have a conjuctiva biopsy surgery scheduled next month to remove it.

Anyone had this done? Please tell me it's not that gnarly!

Shocked

leithaus

Since 20 Aug 2020
19 Posts
PDX

PostWed Aug 04, 21 11:22 am     Reply with quote

I'm not an ophthalmologist but I'd consider a second opinion before you go for the surgical removal. It appears that non-surgical measures can help with the symptoms and that surgery has some risks involved that should be considered.

here's a link to the american academy of ophthalmology web-page -
https://www.aao.org/eye-health/diseases/pinguecula-pterygium-diagnosis-treatment

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostWed Aug 04, 21 1:20 pm     Reply with quote

I had a Pterygium removed.

"Pinguecula is accumulation of conjunctival tissue at the nasal or temporal junction of the sclera and cornea. Pterygium is conjunctival tissue that becomes vascularized, invades the cornea, and may decrease vision."

Feel free to call me for more insight..(LOL)

Mark

www.naishkites.com

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostWed Aug 04, 21 2:30 pm     Reply with quote

i had pterygium removed from both eyes. they did skin grafts believe it or not, taking a layer from the top of my eyeball to replace the patch he cut away.

pm me and i can give you the whole experience.

short story, it was the best move of my life.

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostWed Aug 04, 21 9:16 pm     Reply with quote

BTW, the worst part for me was when they run the numbing needle around the back of your eye to deaden the optic nerve. It's a white knuckle experience. Oh and also, the deadening makes it so you can't look away when the drill comes down. Haha. Straight out of a horror movie. But it'sall worth it.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostThu Aug 05, 21 6:01 am     Reply with quote

I still vividly remember the "Clockwork Orange" eyelid tool and watching in horror as
the scalpel and tweezers come right to your eye to remove 14 stitches. Ohh the tugging and cutting....
I was giving up secrets....

www.naishkites.com

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
880 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostThu Aug 05, 21 7:16 pm     Reply with quote

Pterygium is a growth of fleshy tissue (has blood vessels) that may start as a pinguecula.

I have had two pterygiums removed at separate times (several years apart). Both surgeries were done as outpatient (day surgery) and was sent home after the procedure with pain medicine. Definitely needed the pain killers as my eye had a severe stinging pain afterwards which lasted for several days. My eye looked gruesome after the surgery as the usually white part of my eye was blood red for at least 5 days before starting to fade into brown and eventually turned white again after several weeks. Both my eyes have been fine for over a decade now and hope they last with no more pterygium removals.

I asked the doctor what are some of the leading causes of pinguecula, and he said wind, sun and saltwater. Well, that fits for me as I have probably had several lifetimes worth of all three. Best way to prevent pinguecula if you are an watersports enthusiast is to wear high quality polarized sunglasses and regularly lube your eyes with over the counter moisture drops like Thera Tears or Refresh.

MDaleyPete

Since 17 Jun 2015
10 Posts

PostTue Aug 10, 21 7:42 am     Reply with quote

What brand of sunglasses do people typically wear to protect their eyes from the wind and sun and water? Shopping for some preventative measures in hopes that my pinguecula doesn't get any worse...

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2571 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostTue Aug 10, 21 8:07 am     Reply with quote

MDaleyPete wrote:
What brand of sunglasses do people typically wear to protect their eyes from the wind and sun and water? Shopping for some preventative measures in hopes that my pinguecula doesn't get any worse...

I think any well known brand as long as they are polarized and 100% UV. Plus the more the shape completely shades your eyes the better.

I've got a call into the surgeon to talk about the procedure. The scheduler tells me it's a cryotherapy and while I won't be knocked out, I won't have any awareness or memory of the procedure. I want more detail before I commit. If it's anything like what you guys went through for your Pterygiums, I will defer cause it's not bugging me that much, especially when I apply drops consistently.

I will update after I talk to the surgeon.

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostTue Aug 10, 21 8:36 am     Reply with quote

I use my union safety glasses benefit (VSP plan) and have polarized, prescription lens put into Wiley X frames. Everything has the Z safety rating.

I really like the Wiley X stuff. Lightweight, comfortable, and super tough.

Besides the UV issues, having some eye protection against impacts, especially if you are foiling, is a good idea.

Many other brands offer the safety rated frames and lenses.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostTue Aug 10, 21 3:11 pm     Reply with quote

seaspecs are hard to beat for $33

if you dont need prescription

billed helmut cant hurt

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostTue Aug 10, 21 9:00 pm     Reply with quote

MDaleyPete wrote:

Maui Jim Waterman glasses are super nice.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2571 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostWed Aug 11, 21 1:12 pm     Reply with quote

Just talked to Dr. Page at Eye Health NW. When I first saw him he used a small Q-tip type sponge thing to scrape some calcium deposits off the growth. It wasn't clear to me then that the presence of the calcification is irregular for a Pinguecula and could mean it's squamous cell carcinoma. I am very prone to skin cancer so having a spot on my eye would fit.

He's telling me they can crank up the sedation so that I will only be vaguely aware that somethings happening to me. He used the term "nice nap". He'll start with numbing drops, then a numbing injection into my eyeball. He cuts away a thin layer to remove the spot and freezes the edges and finishes with a couple dissolvable stitches. Says the whole thing should be less than 30 minutes.

So my procedure doesn't sound as gnarly as what you guys went through with your Pterygiums but I am still totally freaked out.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2571 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostThu Sep 30, 21 4:23 pm     Reply with quote

To close this out for anybody that cares...

I got the surgery. Fentanyl's a helluva drug. I didn't see or feel a thing. As promised, it was like waking up from a nice nap. Post op recovery wasn't bad either. After a couple weeks all the irritation is pretty much gone.

Leading up to the surgery it was bugging me more and more which made the decision to do it easier. The biopsy came back positive for squamous cell cancer so I would have had to do it eventually and better sooner than later.

Thanks for the input everybody and good luck to anyone with eye issues. I recommend Dr. Page.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostThu Sep 30, 21 6:54 pm     Reply with quote

Great news - Congrats!

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2023 Posts

Windward

PostFri Oct 01, 21 7:33 am     Reply with quote

I care!

IWantToFly

Since 29 Jul 2019
143 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Oct 01, 21 10:55 am     Reply with quote

blowhard wrote:
I care!
You must be an eye doctor. I bet that still kills every time at the ophthalmology conferences!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: