Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

kiting eye protection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
CM

Since 06 Oct 2015
60 Posts

PostMon Aug 02, 21 10:40 am    kiting eye protection Reply with quote

Is there a solution to prevent water spotting on kiting glasses/goggles. Visibility becomes blurred, limited and dangerous on a crowded day on the water. I end up pulling them around my neck ,so frustrating. Thanx

A_Ron

Since 19 Mar 2009
29 Posts
PDX

PostMon Aug 02, 21 11:07 am     Reply with quote

I use Rain-X automotive window treatment.

First I clean my sunglasses, polarizing so I can see through the surface of the water.

Using the microfiber cloth that comes with many sunglasses, liberally apply Rain-X to both sides of a clean lense such that beads form. Let the beads dry (about 10 minutes). Then buff out with a dry area on the microfiber cloth, smearing out a film of Rain-X rather than removing it. The idea is to leave a thick film of Rain-X on the lens. Out on the water, (particularly in the ocean) you may still eventually get a mineral film building, but not nearly as quickly as on an untreated lens. If your fingers are clean, you can quickly rub both sides of the lens while underway to remive the film. The thick Rain-X film should last a session. I re-apply every time I go out, a hassle, but it's effective for a day on the water.

Beware there is a bit of solvent in the Rain-X. I've had it fog cheap sunglasses, but the ones with a more durable finish don't seem to be effected.

CM

Since 06 Oct 2015
60 Posts

PostMon Aug 02, 21 11:17 am    glass protection Reply with quote

Thanx,worth a try

lubomm

Since 15 Aug 2007
247 Posts
Hood
Stoked

PostTue Aug 03, 21 11:23 am     Reply with quote

Do you know if rain-x could damagae your eyes if gets into them? It is not designed for glasses.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4198 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostTue Aug 03, 21 11:43 am     Reply with quote

I'm not a fan of Rain-X. The film it leaves bugs me and it doesn't seem to last long. I like using the same ceramic coating I use on my cars. It's expensive to buy a bottle just for glasses though, I use a drop left over from coating my car. If you buy it just for glasses, one bottle will literally be a lifetime supply--for several people. It's a microscopically thin coating, so I'm not worried about it getting in my eyes. That's just me though, maybe I should be worried, LOL!

https://www.amazon.com/CarPro_Cquartz-SiC-30ml-Kit-Ceramic/dp/B01NAJN5T7/ref=psdc_15718481_t1_B08X1MH23S

CM

Since 06 Oct 2015
60 Posts

PostTue Aug 03, 21 12:43 pm    Good info Reply with quote

Thanx for your contribution to the post. I'll check it out

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2571 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostTue Aug 03, 21 1:04 pm     Reply with quote

When I got a pair of Oakley Waterjackets a long time ago, they came with a bottle of anti-fog stuff. I went years not bothering to use it and when I finally did and followed the directions similar to what A_Ron does with Rain-X it worked amazingly well.

By then the bottle was mostly evaporated and I never replaced. I just stopped wearing sunglasses.

Recently I was diagnosed with a Pinguecula and have to have it surgically removed. Kind of freaked out to have something scraped off my eye. But needless to say I'll be wearing sunglasses when sessioning.

A.K.

Since 01 Jul 2006
190 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Aug 03, 21 1:22 pm     Reply with quote

stop crashing.. Very Happy and your glasses will remain bone dry..

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostFri Aug 06, 21 12:29 pm     Reply with quote

Try rubbing the lenses with your fingers to get a little oil on them. Especially works after putting on sunscreen. Works like rainx

Kmun

Since 05 Jul 2009
250 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Aug 07, 21 11:55 am    Rain-X risk? Reply with quote

I bought some Rain-X to use for sunglasses but after reading the ingredient (alcohol) and the Directions referring only to glass & not to "Plastic" substrates / then bailed on putting any of it on high tech films of sunglasses. I trust it on auto glass.
-It is some comfort to know there is at least some known success.

How about 303 coating or is it such a non-polar organic solvent & plasticizer that it will dissolve critical optically pure films?

jayala

Since 30 Apr 2013
115 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostSat Aug 07, 21 4:45 pm    Surf wax Reply with quote

I use surf wax. An optometrist told me about it years ago and I have never had a problem. Clean glasses with dish soap, dry completely, rub on a very small amount of wax with cloth, and rub off immediately with clean part of cloth. It will last 3 to 4 sessions but mileage may vary. Water beads and slides right off. Wax does not really wear off but does get dirty. In a pinch just breath on it and rub it with a clean t-shirt. Wax will not build up over time if you clean well with soap.

pollywog

Since 07 Aug 2009
289 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Aug 08, 21 7:07 am     Reply with quote

I use dawn dish soap. I apply more than I need to both lens and rub it with my fingers. I let it dry just a bit and then rinse off. It works pretty well and is in abundance at my pad.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: