Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Foil carnage (post your story / video / pic)
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
tsudapod

Since 27 Jun 2017
36 Posts

PostFri Jul 30, 21 3:41 am    Foil carnage (post your story / video / pic) Reply with quote

Share your foil accident footy/pics story …

I downlooped my kite the other day and drug my self over my Moses mast (still don’t understand why they are that sharp) skin came off like a banana peel

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0y966ZN1IpJJDVNTkNcNBxc4A#Hood_River

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0MPMdupi4jn2Lp-C9GRxC5B8A#Hood_River

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostFri Jul 30, 21 6:34 am     Reply with quote

Love the carnage pics! Watch out for those masts.

IMG_20200810_142328110.jpg 

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2571 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostFri Jul 30, 21 7:01 am     Reply with quote

Foil vs. skull!

Foil vs skull-sm.jpg 

hilton

Since 15 Aug 2008
787 Posts

Opinionated

PostSat Jul 31, 21 7:17 am     Reply with quote

Kudos to Slingshot for turning down the wingtips and having relatively blunt edges on most of their hoverglide foils. Personally I won't buy a foil with super sharp edges and don't get why some manufacturers are building them. I suppose it is more streamlined through the water, but I would rate safety as more important than ultimate efficiency. Some of the foils out there look like they were designed with super thin razor sharp tips intended to cut you or cut through your gear.

luke

Since 06 Jul 2005
399 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Aug 01, 21 6:10 am    Life Lesson Reply with quote

Recent foil kitemare RECOVERY with master instructor and pro kiter Dmitry Evseev at his home spot, One Eye, Mauritius.

Highly recommend watching full video. So much to learn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hu4eq-K3II

consumer

Since 28 Nov 2010
406 Posts
banned
Obsessed

PostSun Aug 01, 21 6:20 am     Reply with quote

this was #2 injury in 2017. #1 was worse, and could not take pics.

IMG_4256-2.jpg 

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSun Aug 01, 21 7:30 am     Reply with quote

My most frightening event ever was Mosier, foiling about 6 years ago on a Naish 8m Park. I crashed and the board drifted up into the lines of the downed kite. Kite then relaunches with foil trapped on a steering line making a death spiral. I looked to my QR and it's oddly wrapped in trapping lines and non-functional! I can't get out.

This is the first and hopefully last time I was drug so hard where everything pushed me below the surface over and over repeatedly. I'd catch a breath and go under. Gusty powered death spiral.
Thankfully the line was cut when it hit the trailing edge of the wing.
It was only when I was back on shore when I remembered "Oh... I have a knife!"

Never neglect your knife. It's something I have never used in 10 years of kiting.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSun Aug 01, 21 8:35 am     Reply with quote

I guess it's not "cool" to ride with sneakers - but I will never foil without them.
Besides the obvious protection - I believe they give better control of the micro adjustments that foiling requires.
Not my injury - I've always worn water shoes.

BTW - I know of at least 6 people who've had similar foot injuries from their foil.

IMG_2378.png 

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostSun Aug 01, 21 9:52 am     Reply with quote

I always wear booties of some kind and a helmet.

I don’t know why this stuff has to be so damn sharp. Or pointy.

I’ve got some nifty new carbon stuff, but I’m reluctant to go through the “getting to know ya” phase. I’ve already sanded edges to blunt the the worst of it. The newest stuff is ridiculously sharp on the trailing edges.

I sure like my Cloud 9 stuff. Soft rounded shapes and edges, nothing too sharp. But I’ve still got a few love nibbles on my shins.

My epic spring time kitemare and hour plus selfrescue would have been a total disaster with a punctured or sliced dry suit.

scottnorby

Since 23 Sep 2005
538 Posts
Cascadia - Seattle - Encinitas
Addicted

PostSun Aug 01, 21 9:32 pm     Reply with quote

Drysuits and foils are really a sketchy combo

Neoprene has been my armor for foiling
No nightmares yet
but my first year foiling wetsuit got chewed by my foils teeth

coated wetsuits are going to be more common place. I have the Neil Pryde armorskin combat and ive kicked the foil a lot
the coated smoothskin just deflects it
Not a foil nightmare
but maybe a way I have avoided one for 2 years?
I bought the suit for smoothskins warmth but found out its nick proof and im stoked on it
hope some designers make more armored suits

when winging the neoprene also takes a beating from knee starting (and climbing all over) EVA traction on most boards
your suit can split open on a seam with little wear

more important in winter but we shall see

you dont want your suit to blow out mid river in january

but a drysuit in winter?— that seems tempting but super sketchy

Cush skinned boards
Soft shell outside - eps and basalt cloth inside
Memory foam rails

hilton

Since 15 Aug 2008
787 Posts

Opinionated

PostMon Aug 02, 21 5:57 am     Reply with quote

scottnorby wrote:
Neoprene has been my armor for foiling
I have the Neil Pryde armorskin combat and ive kicked the foil a lot
the coated smoothskin just deflects it

when winging the neoprene also takes a beating from knee starting (and climbing all over) EVA traction on most boards

How flexible is the Armor Skin?

In my experience, the tougher neoprene is generally less flexible - you can't have both.

And yes, the standard knee pads on most wetsuits are not tough enough to survive the extra time you spend on your knees while learning to wing.

wood

Since 21 Jan 2013
64 Posts

PostMon Aug 02, 21 9:47 am     Reply with quote

Wylieflyote My Daughter had something similar she took off her Harness and then for some reason everything stop she went up one line got to the kite and body drag in with the board and harness behind her.I was quite surprised by what she did.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1249 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostMon Aug 02, 21 3:13 pm     Reply with quote

I bought a new board (SIC Marlin) and went out windsurf-foiling yesterday for my third time. I plan to eventually wing and maybe SUP downwind and this board is a crossover checking all my boxes (except price, but too late now ;). Have kite-foiled a little bit (SPI) but am not comfortable working on it here yet. Wore a ProMotion 'storm shorty' (3/4 legs) with addition layer of legs cut off my old Oneil steamer. No booties or sneakers.

I waterstart but am super cautious of the foil (Cabrinha Varial). Still, managed to kick it at some point, and am limping around today with a sizable bruise inside my left ankle. Scratched but fortunately didn't break the skin - Varial tips are turned down and sanded dull by dragging them repeatedly across the Laguna Madre seafloor.

Digging around today to find my winter booties because I thought I covered the vulnerable parts but "cautious" doesn't cut it (pardon the pun).

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue Aug 03, 21 8:00 am    What brand and type of sneaker do you use? Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
I guess it's not "cool" to ride with sneakers - but I will never foil without them.
Besides the obvious protection - I believe they give better control of the micro adjustments that foiling requires.

BTW - I know of at least 6 people who've had similar foot injuries from their foil.

So what kind of sneakers do you use? Obviously a leather upper wouldn't be good in water long-term.

I suspect that the picture of the foot injury on the bottom of the heal is from when the foiler falls off the foil (superman position like) and the rider feet's are closest to the foil and the foil overtakes the riders feet and it does its damage and slices-and-dices.

Just started foiling and I have about 6 or 7 sessions on a foil. . . got up on a plane last week and was hauling pretty good (heard the whistle of the foil) and a gust came up and I had to bail. The fall was with some speed and I landed at a weird angle and bruised my back rib area.

It hurts to cough, sneeze, laugh, and take a #2.

I lent out my harness to someone who has a wider circumference than I and I forgot to refit my harness back to my circumference. So the harness rode up and did the damage to my rib area. Personal error and my bad and the main reason for the injury.

Last edited by Sasquatch on Tue Aug 03, 21 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

bfb38

Since 02 Sep 2016
75 Posts

PostTue Aug 03, 21 9:59 am     Reply with quote

https://www.adidas.com/us/terrex-boat-s.rdy-water-shoes/BC0507.html

I also use a pair of 5.10 low top water shoes that aren’t made anymore.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4198 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostTue Aug 03, 21 11:57 am    Re: What brand and type of sneaker do you use? Reply with quote

Sasquatch wrote:
ldhr wrote:

So what kind of sneakers do you use? Obviously a leather upper wouldn't be good in water long-term.

I just got these this season and love them. Just enough protection and I can still feel the board. They feel weird the first time you wear them, but I got used to them quickly.

https://www.sportsmans.com/footwear-outdoor-casual-men-women-youth/mens-casual/boat-water-shoes/body-glove-mens-3t-barefoot-cinch-water-shoe/p/1483582

body-glove-mens-3t-barefoot-cinch-water-shoe-1483580-1 (Custom).jpg 

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4198 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostTue Aug 03, 21 12:21 pm    Re: Foil carnage (post your story / video / pic) Reply with quote

tsudapod wrote:

I downlooped my kite the other day and drug my self over my Moses mast (still don’t understand why they are that sharp) skin came off like a banana peel

There is no need for the edges to be that sharp. I've taken the sharp edges off of all of my Moses stuff. No performance difference, still quiet.

It's important that you use a wooden sanding black if you do this. You need to keep the trailing edge square. If you just use sandpaper you'll round the edges and then the foil will sing. Use a block, and keep it square to the surface. use long, smooth, overlapping strokes. I use 400 grit, 120 goes way too fast. You want to take a little time and measure your results. You're looking for an edge about .75mm thick. That's plenty to get rid of the sharp edge. I've accidentally gone to 1.5mm with no ill effects, but you're getting close to where it will sing once you go past about 1mm, depending on the shape of the wing or mast. If you do go to far, try it before you sand it sharper. you may be just fine. Once you get the sharp edge squared off, you're going to have two sharp edges where the right angles are formed. Take some 600 grit sandpaper and very lightly run over those edges without a block, just enough to take the sharp feel away.

If after taking the edge off the foil sings, measure your edge and see if it's too thick anywhere. If so, use the 400 grit and a block and very lightly make the edge a little sharper. If you were at 1.5mm, bring it down to 1mm and try it again.

Plan to take a lot of time doing this. Don't be in a hurry. It's easier to slowly bring the edge where you want it, than it is to go too far and have to bring it back. Keep the block square to the edge!! If you don't get a square edge the foil will sing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: