Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

minimum skill-set for the waves?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
shastadogs2

Since 28 Mar 2005
336 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Jun 24, 07 1:26 pm    minimum skill-set for the waves? Reply with quote

alright coasties, time to ante up. what is your bottom-line for new wave sailors, those skills absolutely necessary for venturing out for their first time into dorsal fin territory?

i assume good kite skills, riding upwind, ability to handle some chop and swell. but what about the ability to jump throught the impact zone? jibe on a moments notice? ride/jibe a directional?

i am anticipating my first run and appreciate any thoughtful input.
thanks

jimmi

KiteKarl

Since 02 Mar 2005
213 Posts
Stockton, California
Stoked

PostSun Jun 24, 07 8:55 pm     Reply with quote

Ability to find your board and water start really fast before the next wave munches you.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2575 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostMon Jun 25, 07 5:59 am     Reply with quote

Hey Shasta,

I think it's all the things you mentioned but maybe the most important is just keeping your kite in the air. Not that you can't relaunch in the waves...it's just that the chances of the waves munching your kite and twisting your lines all up is a lot higher....just costs a lot of time to go in and re-rig....and the waves can cause damage to your kite if you're not careful.

There's a lot about the coast that is less threatening than the Gorge. The wind is usually very steady and side on-shore so you get pushed back in rather than up or down river. No barges. No crowds and very few down wind obstacles. If you do go down wind it's usually an easy walk back to where you started.

There are dangers, and you want to be aware of tide changes around river mouths, and rip tides on stormy days. But generally you can always hang close to shore and nibble at the waves while you get used to things.

Cleanline and Pacwave offer guides at reasonable cost if you'd like to be shown around your first time. Just like the Gorge, finding the best wind on any given day can be tricky...

Good luck!
Very Happy

tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostMon Jun 25, 07 8:02 am     Reply with quote

One of the most important skills is being able to decide how big and how hollow the surf is. If you don't surf you should go with someone who knows the waves or error on the side of safty and only go out on micro surf days at first and build up.

Robert

Since 22 Aug 2006
29 Posts

PostMon Jun 25, 07 11:42 am     Reply with quote

Keeping the kite in the air, 1st priority! 2nd, if you drop it, get ready to release IMMEDIATELY!

My 1st time in the waves, perfect! My second time, I stopped paying attention for 2 seconds, and got the kite to low to the right, and the bottom wingtip got clipped by a wave and carried leading edge down right in the middle of the window. The next 7foot wave hits me. I'm under water, upside down, trying to hit my safety release. I had about 5 seconds and didn't release in time. I surfaced just in time to see the wave tear my kite in half Sad

Lesson learned.

bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostMon Jun 25, 07 3:55 pm    Don't go into waves alone!! Reply with quote

I've been in waves in Cali, Hawaii, Mexico and Oregon. The cold water and swift currents on the Oregon Coast is not to be taken lightly!

**Dont' go alone!!

**Wear a helmet

***Wear a PFD

** Don't go out farther than you can swim back.

Clatsop Spit is a great place to start. Nice easy launch and you can stay very close to shore the whole way down.

DON't Go OUt Alone.

Have fun Very Happy

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jun 25, 07 5:15 pm     Reply with quote

you forgot to list a key skill!!!

- can swim! Smile

everything else is covered...and I should stress (even though I do it a lot), going out in the surf solo isn't a great idea.

shastadogs2

Since 28 Mar 2005
336 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jun 27, 07 8:23 am     Reply with quote

thanks mates

jimmi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: