Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

classified scams
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
jmmorford

Since 26 Oct 2009
21 Posts

PostSun Jul 11, 21 7:50 am    classified scams Reply with quote

I got scammed trying to buy a 6m Rebel from iKite classifieds. I then spent an hour investigating other listings on iKite and identified hundreds as the same scam. The same kites (same or similar photos and descriptions) are listed dozens of times under different user names and locations. More investigation revealed that the vast majority of listings are the same scam profile.

The scammer gets you to pay by Zelle (which was my mistake). Then claims that he did not receive payment and tries to convince you to pay again while he alleges Zelle is processing a refund of the first payment. He claims to need the money immediately for wife's surgery. At one point, he sent me a text. I then called him at that phone number and reached a guy who spoke very broken English, but claimed to be named Chris Jones. DON'T BUY ANYTHING OFF IKITE CLASSIFIEDS.

Now for the big question, are those same scams or others running here on NWkite.com?

kwalshpc

Since 24 Oct 2014
142 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Jul 11, 21 7:58 am    Ikite Scammers Reply with quote

You are right - they have made the site nearly unusable

They are also easy to spot - odd language in the ad etc.

If you do respond - insist on a phone call - bail on anything that seems weird.

Never pay anything without following the PPal process - they nee to send you a bill, you pay the invoice

I sent a note to IKite and suggested they charge something to place an ad - $5. It should help - if $5 doesn't work - make it 10. The Scammers won't pay and we will get the site back.

Send I Kite a note and suggest the same thing, I don't like to pay either but it is better than losing the site

jeremy

Since 18 Aug 2006
273 Posts
Manzo & HR
Obsessed

PostSun Jul 11, 21 8:17 am    link to report scam listings Reply with quote

I bought 2 kites off ikitesurf last month no problem, there are real sellers still there.

Each listing has a "IS THIS A SCAM? REPORT IT" link, please report any scam listings to help other users avoid getting scammed.

Sending money via friends and family or Zelle is an unprotected money transfer. If anyone requires payment like that, it's a BIG WARNING. If you pay with a credit card and don't receive the purchase, your credit card company will reverse the charge.

Clyde S. Dale

Since 23 Jul 2016
55 Posts

PostSun Jul 11, 21 5:38 pm     Reply with quote

I wondered why there were palm trees in the background of many of the kite ads, kansas, missouri etc ! Rolling Eyes

lineman

Since 05 Feb 2009
170 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Jul 11, 21 6:03 pm     Reply with quote

Wow, are you dumb. These scams have been going on for over a year now. There’s even an extensive thread here about it. The problem isn’t the scammers, it’s the dumb people supporting them. You got what you deserve, don’t come here crying about it.

jmmorford

Since 26 Oct 2009
21 Posts

PostMon Jul 12, 21 8:06 am     Reply with quote

Well thank you for the highly supportive and helpful reply. I'm not whining. I know I was too trusting. My point is that the iKite classified has been fully infected and something needs to change to make it useful again.

Pete

Since 29 Oct 2007
829 Posts

Opinionated

PostMon Jul 12, 21 8:29 am    Bummer Reply with quote

I posted about this recently

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-49582.html&highlight=

I know it doesn't help you, sorry you got scammed. Unfortunately, they are still scamming on there, because they are successful. I believe it is because kiters as a community are trusting and good people. Once they stop making money, it will stop, but that doesn't appear to be happening anytime soon.

BlowOut

Since 22 Jul 2005
17 Posts

PostMon Jul 12, 21 11:08 am    Re: classified scams Reply with quote

jmmorford wrote:
I got scammed trying to buy a 6m Rebel from iKite classifieds. I then spent an hour investigating other listings on iKite and identified hundreds as the same scam. The same kites (same or similar photos and descriptions) are listed dozens of times under different user names and locations. More investigation revealed that the vast majority of listings are the same scam profile.

The scammer gets you to pay by Zelle (which was my mistake). Then claims that he did not receive payment and tries to convince you to pay again while he alleges Zelle is processing a refund of the first payment. He claims to need the money immediately for wife's surgery. At one point, he sent me a text. I then called him at that phone number and reached a guy who spoke very broken English, but claimed to be named Chris Jones. DON'T BUY ANYTHING OFF IKITE CLASSIFIEDS.

Now for the big question, are those same scams or others running here on NWkite.com?

Major downer!

I too was almost scammed.

The individual claimed that they needed the money immediately to help assist in the payment for his grandfather's cosmetic surgery.

Apparently, his grandfather wasn't getting enough action with the other lady nursing home female residents. The grandfather said he needed a big pair of neuticles to replace his dried up pair of natural raisins and that a new XLL large pair of neuticles would attract all the ladies like honey does to bees.

This is when I knew I was about to be scammed and I immediately went silent wirh more communications.

Then the individual even went so far as to text me pictures of a set of XXL neuticles.

I then called the individual back and he too spoke broken English, and he called himself MIKE HAWK.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

I was a victim and didn't have the courage to bring my incident to light with the kiting public, but you did and so it convinced me to tell my story.

Scammers and thieves suck balls, or in this case XXL neuticles.

Rightcoast

Since 27 Mar 2019
33 Posts
ELI

PostMon Jul 12, 21 4:11 pm     Reply with quote

I have been looking at 6m drifters on ikite and some are the same photo in different locations ,slightly different prices .

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jul 13, 21 11:58 am     Reply with quote

Was selling a car a few years ago on Craigslist. It was less than 3 minutes after posting the ad that I got a response offering me $1K more than asking. Huh? All they wanted was the email address I use for PayPal so they could immediately send me the money. They also said it was a purchase for a wounded Iraq returning soldier. I went back and forth with them wondering WTF? Finally since it was superbowl week I asked "Who is in the Superbowl?"...... the buyer could not come up with an answer. My guess is this was some guy in Nigeria.
The tip off was that when I would respond to them they would replied so quickly I could not see anyone typing that fast... a machine?

Bc6

Since 07 Sep 2018
26 Posts

PostTue Jul 13, 21 2:15 pm     Reply with quote

lineman wrote:
Wow, are you dumb. These scams have been going on for over a year now. There’s even an extensive thread here about it. The problem isn’t the scammers, it’s the dumb people supporting them. You got what you deserve, don’t come here crying about it.

Wow, Lineman, what a bro you are. Hope to never see you on the water. It’s guys like you that leaves a bad taste. Hope you never need a rescue from the water.

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostThu Jul 15, 21 6:20 am    Ikitesurf doesn’t care Reply with quote

For a couple of months last year I went through and flagged all the scams but many just pop up again. Emailed Ikitesurf and suggested they only allow paid subscribers to list but they don’t seem to care. Most scams have the lister as a name with numbers after. There are some real sellers though, but only use PayPal with the insurance. If they ask you to do PayPal Friends and Family you know it’s a scam.

Pete

Since 29 Oct 2007
829 Posts

Opinionated

PostThu Jul 15, 21 8:02 am    Re: Ikitesurf doesn’t care Reply with quote

macgruber wrote:
For a couple of months last year I went through and flagged all the scams but many just pop up again. Emailed Ikitesurf and suggested they only allow paid subscribers to list but they don’t seem to care. Most scams have the lister as a name with numbers after. There are some real sellers though, but only use PayPal with the insurance. If they ask you to do PayPal Friends and Family you know it’s a scam.

I did the same, and I agree. Sad but true.

Some other tips are when they write "Condition: Excellent" or anything with Condition: and some other description after it. Pretty much every ad also has the condition listed as "Like New" from the pull down menu. Also "no microholes". Who uses microholes in their description? No one, except scammers.

So many other tell tale signs, but I have been searching the classifieds every day for years, so they pop out at me much easier. Sad that so many people can't see through the BS.

Clyde S. Dale

Since 23 Jul 2016
55 Posts

PostFri Jul 16, 21 4:24 am     Reply with quote

This listing is heading to the hall of fame !
IS THIS A SCAM? REPORT IT.
Description
Naish Rpm 2015 10m very good condition is used. Kite in great condition, canopy still crispy no repair no damage still hold air.

http://c.ikitesurf.com/classifieds/65712

Pete

Since 29 Oct 2007
829 Posts

Opinionated

PostFri Jul 16, 21 6:22 am    Cabrina North Reply with quote

This is a very nice Cabrina North.

https://c.ikitesurf.com/classifieds/65807

Laughing Evil or Very Mad

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostFri Jul 16, 21 2:44 pm     Reply with quote

Oh man! Perfect thing to do on a no wind day would be to get a bunch of kiters together to start leading these guys on!

Reply and just mess with them and make them work for the money they make from the more gullible of us.

windpig

Since 28 Aug 2008
259 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Jul 16, 21 4:14 pm     Reply with quote

That's a good deal for 3 different kites! Not sure if they all add up to make one 15m or if it's 3 separate 15m kites! Maybe a Hypercolor color changing kite? Those are super rare! Each pic has a different color leading edge so that's the only logical conclusion!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: