Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

How do I prevent the leash from wrapping around the bar?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Spike

Since 13 May 2007
1414 Posts
Alameda
Spelling Expert

PostFri Jun 22, 07 4:45 pm    How do I prevent the leash from wrapping around the bar? Reply with quote

I have an '07 slingshot 4 line bar and had a few cases where the kite has done a complete loop and the safety leash gets wrapped around the lines and bar. I have to park in the water and undo the safety leash and re-clip it on the right way. Is there any way to fix this problem? maybe routing the line through the bar, something like this:
http://www.cabareteairforce.com/data/images/news/categories/cat_184/Ripper-Bar.jpg

Or am I just rigging it wrong? Some insight would be appreciated for sure, I would not like to give up the safety of the leash.

TWIN-FIN

Since 24 May 2006
805 Posts
Portland, OR
Hot Monkey

PostFri Jun 22, 07 6:08 pm     Reply with quote

Howdy there Spike,
Sounds like you are rotating around your chicken loop when you crash, wipe out , eat it, ect. Once you get your kite back in the air to neutral just rotate your body, not the bar, to unwind your leash. Its quicker and safer than uncliping and then clipping back in.

It happens and is just part of the learning process. Next thing you know you will be throwen down some sick tricks.

Stay positive, and ask question when your on the beach, you will be supprised how much you will learn.

dcrowe

Since 11 Oct 2005
265 Posts
hard to say, I was inverted
Obsessed

PostFri Jun 22, 07 8:57 pm     Reply with quote

you can also unhook for a second when you're up and riding again and it will unwind. That way you aren't spinning which can be tricky when you're learning. Laughing

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostFri Jun 22, 07 11:56 pm     Reply with quote

Are you hooking your leash to your center line/"Oh Shit" handle or the chicken loop? If you're hooking it on the center line/OSH, there's nothing you can do aside from what's been stated above. To get it out of the way (especially if you're unhooking a lot), it's a lot nicer to clip it above the chicken loop. This allows it to rotate around 360 degrees, as well as stay clear of your spreader bar (I actually added a ring above my CL to clip my leash onto, just so the spring clip on our SS leashes doesn't get too fucked up - torquing sideways). The only downside to this is it won't kill (depower) your kite if the bar gets away from you...

P.S. - I just looked closely at the pic you posted. Something like that could work for you, though it will not competely depower your kite (there's not enough "throw" in the line). And even rigged this way, it'll wrap... it's just not as big of a deal. Next time I see ya, we can talk about a couple different options if you want.

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostSat Jun 23, 07 4:49 am     Reply with quote

As a beginner, I would be careful attaching my leash anywhere on the bar that didn't give me total depower...

trevorsmith

Since 25 Apr 2005
501 Posts
PDX
Addicted

PostSat Jun 23, 07 5:46 am     Reply with quote

you can always get a spinning leash spreader bar. naish and SS make them. i'm sure there are a few others. i'll be at the spit today if you want to see the naish style one. I like the naish one better due to it is very simple compared to the SS version

tonyb

Since 09 Oct 2006
973 Posts
Stevenson in the summer & SPI in the winter
Bolstad Clan

PostSat Jun 23, 07 8:51 am     Reply with quote

Hey Spike,

What Trever said. We had the same problems in our learning stage. You want and need the safety of the leash, hooked up to the correct spot for your kite, but it starts to get in the way on the big wipe outs and when you first start learning tricks. We solved it by going to the Slingshot spinning leash set up. Works well if you hook into an outside line for your safety.

I have an extra one on the shelf here if you'd like to try it out before buying one. We'll be down at Stevenson this afternoon.

Tony

bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostSun Jun 24, 07 6:40 am    I've got the same kite and my solution is this.. Reply with quote

Last years 06 bar had an o ring on the end of the depower cleat. This is not the case for the 07. The Oh Shit total depower is above and hard to reach in the water.

On launch, for safety, I clip into the Oh Shit total depower ring. When I get onto water I take the clip, long reach, and clip it to the round end of the depower cleat.

The clip stays on and this depowers the kite upon total wipe out.

*** If it is windy and or you question your ability stay in the Oh Shit loop!

Good Luck,
Very Happy

Spike

Since 13 May 2007
1414 Posts
Alameda
Spelling Expert

PostSun Jun 24, 07 7:23 pm     Reply with quote

I'll try the flip-myself-around method next time. Tried it before cause it seemed most logical but couldn't manage to stop the kite from dragging me downwind and preventing me from doing a complete rotation. guess it's just a matter of practice. Thanks for the info.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: