Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Wing/Windfoil boards?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jun 08, 21 10:32 am    Wing/Windfoil boards? Reply with quote

Didn't want to hijack Laird's Rufus thread but agree with Jim this is golden advice:

hilton wrote:

1) the Hook to Sandbar is the best place in the gorge to learn. Pay your dues doing the shuttle or walk and learn to ride both directions and stay upwind.

2) The number #1 issue I see new wingers struggling with is getting up on the foil after they stand up. The #1 reason I see them struggle - they decide to try winging when the wind is light and crappy. (too light to kite so I might as well try wingingin today).
Winging is not a light wind activity - you need to be overpowered to learn.

3) If you want to learn how to wing - put your kite gear away for a month.

I would like to find a board (recognizing there's a related foil discussion) that I could windfoil on, as well as progress to winging on, even if a little more difficult. I'm shopping for a Slingshot Wizard V3 in the 114L size, which Wyatt Miller (who's about my size) claims in their ads could be used to progress to winging on. I'm also learning kitefoiling using a Slingshot Converter and Cabrinha Varial foil (medium wing for kite but also have small and large), but consider that a separate topic.

I have windfoiled on a friend's Dialer and immediately found it way too big, including the advice about uphauling as I found waterstarting infinitely easier. I have a van but don't want most of its interior overrun with boardage, so if winging requires a similarly large planform I probably won't even bother with it.

Yeah, I know some of you will say "go straight to winging", but that won't answer my question: does anyone reading this have experience with this board and/or use case?

kitebot

Since 20 Feb 2007
251 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jun 09, 21 7:41 am     Reply with quote

Hilton's advice is bang on as always. The Wizard 114L would be an excellent one board quiver for getting started. I have a first-gen Wizard 125L that I have windfoiled for years and learned to wing on, it's been great for both. I went as far as getting forward mounted US boxes added to it to take a pedestal mount for winging, but it wasn't absolutely necessary, the 114L already has them which is nice. If you really get in to wingfoiling though, you'll want to also get a smaller board just for winging. As fun as wingfoiling is, there's something that keeps me coming back to windfoiling, in light conditions it's just way more fun and efficient than winging, where I live it's almost always light. I leave the windfoiling footstraps on as they are useful handles and don't get in the way when winging strapless.

Here's me with the setup back in April when I started getting my first jibes to toeside, wing jibing comes way faster than windfoiling. Winging was way easier than wingfoiling for me, but maybe it's because I was already windfoiling, they are really so similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGJGydE0ZTQ

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jun 09, 21 2:46 pm     Reply with quote

Fun vid, and thanks for the deets! Loved the soundtrack and random bunnies (with killer sharp, pointy fangs!). Even recognized the location (but only from slappysan's videos, I confess).

kitebot

Since 20 Feb 2007
251 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jun 09, 21 6:53 pm     Reply with quote

shred_da_gorge wrote:
Fun vid, and thanks for the deets! Loved the soundtrack and random bunnies (with killer sharp, pointy fangs!). Even recognized the location (but only from slappysan's videos, I confess).

Hey thanks! The bunnies at this park serve a key role in enticing my kids to come to the beach. The spot is just downwind about half a mile or so from where Slappy often rides, same great backdrop!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: