Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

foil set-up advice source for wannabe foiler

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
CM

Since 06 Oct 2015
60 Posts

PostMon Jun 07, 21 12:42 pm    foil set-up advice source for wannabe foiler Reply with quote

I want to invest in a used foil set-up as a beginner foiler. I have the Armstrong foil chart for size recommendations but the whole process seems overwhelming. Is $500-700 a reasonable amount to spend and maybe that gives me a board I can keep as I progress and buy more advanced mast/wing setup later.? I don't know what is a fair price on used equipment.I would consider a financial compensation to someone who can guide me and find me what I need. I'm currently an advanced kiter. I live in the Portland area. Thanx in advance

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1471 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jun 07, 21 3:52 pm     Reply with quote

Go to Windance in Hood River - they can help you.

Not many used setups advertised right now - that's because new equipment is not available for people wanting to upgrade.
Look for a used Slingshot foil with a short mast - 28" or shorter to start.

First foil should be something like Slingshot Hover Glide Fkite. Beginner foils should be wide and fat - beware of anyone who tries to sell you a foil with a long mast and skinny wings.
https://slingshotsports.com/collections/complete-foils-kite/products/hover-glide-fkite-v4
Your first board should be something like a Slingshot Alien.
https://slingshotsports.com/collections/kite-foil-boards/products/alien-air-48
Post an advertisement in the NWKITE classifieds for gear wanted - also Northwest foil group on FB.

Feel free to send me a PM asking about specific equipment.

Go to the Slingshot website and register (free) for their Foil academy. Watch the first 2-3 videos. Follow thie advice and you'll be foiling in no time.

gabe

Since 16 May 2005
475 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Jun 07, 21 4:57 pm     Reply with quote

I'm curious, why isn't there much new gear available now? Covid supply chain issues?

CM, I noticed a few used foils at Pure Stoke recently (can't remember if there was a Hoverglide rig). Also, I have a set of Slingshot flight school learning masts I haven't listed for sale yet.

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostMon Jun 07, 21 6:43 pm     Reply with quote

How much do you weigh? Where are you planning on riding? Do you already have small kites? Are you open to taking a lesson or two?

Bigger guys need bigger wings, light guys will have issues with a wing that is too large and has more lift than they need. At 205 lb, a 1200 square centimeter LF Impulse was the ticket for me to get up, go slow, and turn without stalling. I think it was actually a Cloud 9 design. A big board with some floatation helps, too.

The graduated mast length system is a useful learning tool, but you’ll rapidly progress out of short masts with the right wing and board. A short mast quickly becomes a hinderance. 37” is now a little on the short side.

A couple hours of jet ski supported instruction, away from other kiters was money well spent. Going back to being a newb, trying to get out of the shallow water at the Hood River sandbar, with a bunch of other beginners is pretty scary.

A lesson should put you on good gear and the right size kite and take you away from the mayhem.

Meanwhile, watch the classifieds. I’ve found solid setups with carbon or hybrid wings and aluminum masts for $400-500. Used all carbon set ups have been asking $1350 and up.

You’ll want a system that lets you grow, with a fuselage that can handle multiple wings. The Cloud 9 X series is nice.

You’ll be wobbling around out there in no time. It’s a time commitment. Hard to pass up windy surfboard days to go take a foil beating, but worth it. Once it clicks, it’s over for the other gear.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1471 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jun 09, 21 7:44 am    here you go-board and foil Reply with quote

http://nwkite.com/forums/t-49990.html
http://nwkite.com/forums/t-49709.html

Last edited by ldhr on Wed Jun 09, 21 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jun 09, 21 2:11 pm     Reply with quote

Sharing my experience so far in this learning curve. I'm using a Slingshot Converter because I can travel with it easily and use it as both a light-wind strapless board and a beginner foil setup with a front "Hoof Hook" (half strap). Use the search function here for opinions on that board - some say it does neither great, but I know people who learned foiling on it just fine. I've seen deals on used Hypermilers and Simulators which are probably easily outgrown for kitefoiling.

I bought a new Cabrinha Varial Medium setup for ~$650 around the time they came out with their current foil (re)design - it's similar to the older Slingshot alloy setup but I will say the Slingy setup I've tried seemed easier to get up on. I've seen a few of both setups listed around the $600 mark used, and Naish's older foil setup I've seen similar supply and pricing on.

I started with Cabrinha's 40cm mast (~16" - tiny!) and got the hang of it fairly easily. I practiced in Padre so the short mast also helped during low tides since the water's so shallow in the laguna. On my last trip I used the 65cm (~26") mast and had a more frustrating time self-learning, with a million friends telling me all the different things I was doing wrong (several of them contradicting each other).

Joe the Kiter (https://joethekiter.com) came recommended and I missed getting a slot with him before he left town prior to the pandemic, but I will likely catch up with him sometime this season. I feel it'd be worth the expert instruction even though I'm an experienced kiter, even to just have my criticisms reduced to one observer's viewpoint... ;-)

Most people tell me anything shorter than the 24" mast is a waste of time you'll quickly outgrow, and despite my contrary experience the week I spent at it, I don't think I'd argue strongly against that. I have seen people selling Slingshot's three-mast 'progression set' so they should be out there, but keep in mind if you're just starting to shop now... so is everyone else.

IMG_1389.JPG 
   IMG_1407.JPG 

CM

Since 06 Oct 2015
60 Posts

PostSat Jun 12, 21 5:59 am     Reply with quote

thanx

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostMon Jun 14, 21 8:37 pm    Second on the LF Impulse Reply with quote

The Impulse is great because it’s slow, stable, surfable, and blunt (not sharp! around 700 new). It’s much lighter than the Hoverglide but not expensive like full carbon. Lighter makes water starting easier and a low volume board 15-25L helps too as you can partially sink it. The Slingshot WF2 is the best I’ve found at 19L. The Converter works ok but the deck is a bit domed and it could be a bit wider (as you progress you offset your feet more). It’s easiest to spend your first 5 days on a 24” mast. You’ll definitely want hooks too. Personally I recommend the Impulse but the 633 setup is just as easy ( though lighter, more expensive, and sharp). Moses/Ghost Whisper have lots of wing combos. Around $1100 used

CAK86

Since 08 Aug 2015
51 Posts

PostTue Jun 15, 21 5:29 am     Reply with quote

Great advice from previous posts. I really like the liquid force impulse. Easy to handle when sitting in the water, wider mast which helps keep the foil from sinking fast when sitting in the water, wing is very easy to control and much lighter than slingshot stuff. I have a bunch of slingshot stuff for sale in the classifieds and also ready to sell my liquid force impulse with 24” mast and possibly the 36” mast ( currently broken bolt in 36” mast).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: