Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

vent plug - when to open?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
TravisBickleRex

Since 30 Jun 2005
313 Posts

Taxi Driver

PostTue Jun 01, 21 9:18 am    vent plug - when to open? Reply with quote

Gotta 120 liter wing board, which has a vent plug. When exactly should I be concerned about enough expansion of air within the board to open the vent plug? It resides mostly in a van in a shop, without direct sunlight.

What scenarios, besides the obvious (prolonged direct sun exposure, or in a super hot vehicle) might you consider unscrewing the vent plug? I'd like to quiet my worried mind that I'm gonna go-all Heat Miser on the board? Travis Bickle resides in all of us...you don't wanna see a TBR meltdown...

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
880 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostTue Jun 01, 21 10:17 am     Reply with quote

Contact the manufacturer and find out what kind of vent is in the board. Some board vents have a gortex membrane and will breathe and you never have to remove it. Other vents are fully closed and intended to be removed when in hot conditions or high altitudes.

TravisBickleRex

Since 30 Jun 2005
313 Posts

Taxi Driver

PostTue Jun 01, 21 10:53 am     Reply with quote

This one is a Slingshot, and doesn't appear to have the Goretex membrane. Can't seem to find the info online.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jun 01, 21 1:26 pm     Reply with quote

I'm not aware of any modern board maker that requires you to loosen the vent.
Maybe post a picture of the board and vent?
Windance is a dealer - they should know for sure..... but I'm 95% positive you should never have to touch it.

lubomm

Since 15 Aug 2007
247 Posts
Hood
Stoked

PostTue Jun 01, 21 10:17 pm     Reply with quote

I plug/unplug every time because my board sits on top of my car and I have ruined 2 windsurfing boards before. Let's say you take a hiking trip to Mt Hood, think twice. Even a small plastic water bottle gets squished from Meadows to HR.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jun 02, 21 5:57 am     Reply with quote

lubomm wrote:
I plug/unplug every time because my board sits on top of my car and I have ruined 2 windsurfing boards .

Yes, back in the 90s we had many boards with vent plugs that always required opening for long hot storage.... and too many times left open to drink up the river. As I recall back then the skin of these boards would de-lam off the EPS core without opening the vent in hot storage.

oliver19

Since 25 Jun 2019
77 Posts

PostThu Jun 03, 21 5:17 am     Reply with quote

I would only open if you expect extreme heat or low altitude exposure for a prolonged time.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jun 03, 21 9:09 am     Reply with quote

wylieflyote wrote:
...the skin of these boards would de-lam off the EPS core without opening the vent in hot storage.

Not just EPS... I loved my Open Oceans but my first got filled with so much epoxy it became a boat anchor. The second one also delammed, but I actually saw it on a beach a few summers so it got handed along through CGWA and was still being ridden. Back then I thought closed-cell foam was impervious to delam... silly me.

hilton

Since 15 Aug 2008
787 Posts

Opinionated

PostThu Jun 03, 21 7:17 pm     Reply with quote

That's kind of like asking how often you should wash your wetsuit.
Some people are super meticulous and do it all the time, some people never do it.

I have a slingshot 130 liter windsurf foil board and never open the vent, but i don't leave it in the hot car or drive it over the mountain passes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: