Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Theft issues occurring in Hood River
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
floydo

Since 07 Jun 2014
12 Posts
Gorge and Points South

PostSun May 16, 21 2:05 pm     Reply with quote

Kip nice solution to a total bummer.....recently read an article about a person (in Ca?) found in the morning under a prius that had apparently fallen off the jack while jacking a cat.....
Just couldn't believe anyone would go for something that low.... Evil or Very Mad

sfbomber

Since 27 Jun 2012
112 Posts

Stoked

PostWed May 19, 21 2:22 pm     Reply with quote

Catalytic converter theft is out of control. Covid disrupted the mining of the precious metals used in Cats, so now they are worth more than gold.
Years ago Toyota trucks were getting hit, because they are tall and have easy access.
Now Honda (Ultra low emission) and Toyota Prius are desirable. In our neighborhood, it is not uncommon to hear a electric saw in the middle of the night.
A few weeks ago, I was at outside a store (9 am). I saw a pickup truck park next to a Prius. He got a jack out, jacked up the prius. Then cut with a battery saw. I tried to see his license plate, but he was in and out in a hurry. Good news, is I was able to track down the truck and notify police, and they were able to retrieve the cat. The cop said that was a popular parking lot for catalytic converter theft. Any time of day a cat is fair game.
The best defense is a product like:
https://catshield.com/
or welding heavy gauge pipe to either side of your cat.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostWed May 19, 21 3:43 pm     Reply with quote

WHOAH!!! That video shows it's gone in under one minute!!
If it were February before ours was stolen, I'd be under our Prius with a buzz-box and $5 of rebar. (Ours is a 1st Gen beater with some mystery failed hybrid cells.... another $1200):

Last edited by wylieflyote on Tue Jun 15, 21 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Jun 15, 21 9:33 am     Reply with quote

according to investigators, Campbell told police he was sleeping in his truck when he woke up to a noise. He told detectives that someone was trying to saw the catalytic converter from under his truck.

Probable cause documents indicated that he opened the passenger door and fired multiple times straight down at the person under his truck.

The person who was under the truck tried to get back in his own car but fell.

“He said he lashed the victim’s hands above his head and tied him to the ball hitch on his F-150, then dragged him through the field,” detectives said.

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/investigators-man-shoots-would-be-catalytic-converter-thief-drags-him-behind-his-truck/6YUZBKHFBRELBLQ4UT7VR645WA/

UPWIND LAUNCH OF A SPORT

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jun 15, 21 11:10 am     Reply with quote

Hypothetical question: I you find someone out in your garage attempting to steal, and you shoot that person.... Are you going to jail? If this guy in Lakewood had simply shot once and stopped, would he be in jail?

sleestack

Since 07 Dec 2006
181 Posts
Land of the Lost
Stoked

PostTue Jun 15, 21 11:30 am     Reply with quote

[quote="wylieflyote"]WHOAH!!! That video shows it's gone in under one minute!!
If it were February before ours was stolen, I'd be under our Prius with a buzz-box and $5 of rebar. (Ours is a 1st Gen beater with some mystery failed hybrid cells.... another $1200):
[img]https://i.imgur.com/lNcM1EH.jpg[/img][/quote]

Lots of strippers here in Portland are going to be envious of such a stout cage. Laughing

CCcagedancing.jpg 

bgkiter

Since 20 Oct 2008
87 Posts

PostTue Jun 15, 21 11:30 am     Reply with quote

wylieflyote wrote:
Hypothetical question: I you find someone out in your garage attempting to steal, and you shoot that person.... Are you going to jail? If this guy in Lakewood had simply shot once and stopped, would he be in jail?

yes, in Seattle homeless people with drug and mental problems are allowed to help themselves to any stuff you own, whether in your yard, van or house and you go to jail if you harm them in anyway. It's a new liberal income tax.

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jun 15, 21 1:20 pm     Reply with quote

Should have waited for the pos thief to get out from under and then said he looked like he had a gun pointed at me and then cleaned his clock. People need to stop feeling bad for thieves since the thief did not value your life or belongings before his actions.
If you shoot someone and you can not say your life was in danger you are going to JAIL!!

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jun 16, 21 8:17 pm     Reply with quote

Just make sure you're the only witness.

scottm

Since 12 Jun 2006
108 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Jun 17, 21 7:54 am     Reply with quote

@wylieflyote - it's illegal to shoot someone to defend your property. You have to prove that the criminal was willfully endangering your life, or the life of someone near you. Breaking into your home/garage at night qualifies for that, but not during the day.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Jun 17, 21 8:12 am     Reply with quote

Memorize the phrase
I was afraid for my life.
Repeat as necessary. Nothing more, just that.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostThu Jun 17, 21 4:46 pm     Reply with quote

wylieflyote wrote:

From: https://www.washingtongunlaw.com/lawful-use-of-firearms-in-self-defense

DEFENSE OF PROPERTY
Under certain situations, a person may use force to defend against a “malicious trespass or interference" with real or personal property. This means that if someone is entering your home or taking or damaging your property and they are doing so with an evil purpose, you can defend your property by force. The same rules apply to this defense, which is that you may not use more force than is necessary to defend your property.

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostFri Jun 18, 21 5:05 am     Reply with quote

Funny you cited a portion of the law. You can find so many statues that everything can be both legal and illegal.

Your best course of action is to consider first the location in which you take action, because juries can have more of an influence than prosecution. And if jury nullification is allowed in a venue where something like that story took place, there's a much lower chance of being convicted for doing the right thing.

And if that guy gets off and goes back into regular society, I'd maybe pay him $20 to sleep in his truck in my driveway.

MikeZ

Since 17 Jul 2012
207 Posts
Beaverton / Seaside / Govy
Stoked

PostFri Jun 18, 21 11:56 am     Reply with quote

J.P. wrote:
Probable cause documents indicated that he opened the passenger door and fired multiple times straight down at the person under his truck.

I would think a better course of action would be putting the vehicle into gear, accelerating rapidly, and steering sharply to one side or the other.

Then you have a few choices:
"I had no idea he was there!"
"I thought it was an animal chewing on my wiring."
"I thought it was aliens, and I was about to get an anal probing!"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: