Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Theft issues occurring in Hood River
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostThu May 06, 21 2:06 pm    Theft issues occurring in Hood River Reply with quote

I hate to post things like this, but......

There has been a very significant uptick in thefts for the Hood River area.

This week alone, there has been a truck w/snowmobile stolen, bikes stolen off of racks and backyards, and a locked garage was broken into and cleared out of all bike and sports equipment.

Time to keep everything locked up, garaged, and put away.

I'm sorry to relay this info, but it is heartbreaking to hear and read about these issues.

With the summer expected to be much busier than last year, it's a good idea to just become more pro-active about protecting and securing your valued gear.

www.Purestokesports.com

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostThu May 06, 21 3:13 pm    Thieves Suck! Reply with quote

Thanks for the update, Pepi!

Looks like you renamed your store--I liked the old one, but also like the new one too.

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostFri May 07, 21 5:56 am    theft Reply with quote

One suggestion is to lock your bikes together or to something large in your garage.
Sad its come to this

scottm

Since 12 Jun 2006
108 Posts

Stoked

PostFri May 07, 21 9:53 am     Reply with quote

About a month ago, thieves stole my mountain bike out of my van, in my driveway. They also stole another bike, a wallet, and a Jeep from the quiet dead end neighborhood, where we all used to leave our vehicles and houses unlocked.

Shortly after, Hood River News or Police announced that 55 vehicles had been stolen in the last 2 months.

Hood River has changed drastically in the last few years.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostFri May 07, 21 10:30 am     Reply with quote

For as long as I've been in Hood River I've met some people who believe it's a magic hamlet immune to theft. There's an uptake in theft everywhere right now brought on by the pandemic, and I'm sure HR is not exempt.

When I started as an HR tourist (and van-dweller) in the 90's, we watched a man walking down Oak Street checking car door handles. We reported it to the police (who were around the corner) and the cop said, "Oh yeah, that's Charlie! I hope people remembered to lock their doors."

I had packages grabbed from my back porch on May in the early 2000's, occasionally see random people check my mailbox on Lincoln via my security camera, and my friend lost his road bike from his second floor balcony at The Lodge not too long ago.

In the cybersecurity industry, we recommend a zero trust "defense-in-depth" strategy...

Pepi, thank you for posting this though, as I'll discuss with my roomie so she's aware.

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostFri May 07, 21 5:01 pm     Reply with quote

Catalytic converters are the big one this year! 2 or 3 every week in The Dalles and Hood River. Car theft is way up here now. I now have a locking mailbox and security cameras around the property. The new normal....sad!

WINDUDE

Since 10 Jun 2010
557 Posts
GORGE!
Addicted

PostSat May 08, 21 5:58 am     Reply with quote

plenty of shotgun shells here, don't get caught sniffin' on my property

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostMon May 10, 21 10:54 am     Reply with quote

Be thankful every day that you don't live in Tacoma. My wife's 2001 low miles Prius. She uses this car maybe once a month to get her nails done. Smile Car is worth maybe $2000 and now we need to decide if we spend $1200+ or call a wrecking yard. Happened last week.
Hey... I was talking about this at the Ace Hardware here in Tacoma. Sales guy tells me the shoppers are losing cat convertors WHILE INSIDE SHOPPING!!!

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostMon May 10, 21 1:30 pm     Reply with quote

Crap, that sucks Kip! Forerunners were a big target for a while in the San Jose area because they're easy to crawl under, but now it's the Prius (which I can't wrap my head around).

What are the implications of replacing it with a straight pipe?

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostMon May 10, 21 2:23 pm     Reply with quote

shred_da_gorge wrote:
Crap, that sucks Kip! Forerunners were a big target for a while in the San Jose area because they're easy to crawl under, but now it's the Prius (which I can't wrap my head around).

Implications. Smile. Lol. It might actually go fast!!

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostMon May 10, 21 3:53 pm     Reply with quote

shred_da_gorge wrote:

Funny you should ask that. I was shy on mentioning this because I might be perceived as ghetto. Done. It runs exactly like it did with the cat converter, and now that WA State never checks emissions we're good. Repeat: This car loads maybe 50 miles a year for her salon visits and coupon clipping. So please don't shame my earth footprint
The guy in Autozone said he's seeing at least 5 customers a week doing this same job.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostWed May 12, 21 2:57 pm     Reply with quote

"The Toyota Prius is a popular target because it contains a high number of precious metals" says the news segment I just watched on an uptick of thefts in Sunnyvale.

Love the straight pipe solution (if you can get away with it) - prevents a theft recurrence!

And for the CO2 naysayers... at least this isn't a "how to roll coal with yer diesel" forum...

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostWed May 12, 21 3:15 pm     Reply with quote

shred_da_gorge wrote:

Love the straight pipe solution (if you can get away with it) - prevents a theft recurrence!

$22.00 repair.

You have me thinking. I might just jack it up again and paint a big F.U. on this.
Someone ought to invent a trick device where the meth head crawls under your car and get's a dose of bear spray into the eyes.

a.benjamin76

Since 27 Jul 2017
112 Posts

Stoked

PostWed May 12, 21 6:03 pm    Caddy Reply with quote

wylieflyote wrote:
shred_da_gorge wrote:

Funny you should ask that. I was shy on mentioning this because I might be perceived as ghetto. Done. It runs exactly like it did with the cat converter, and now that WA State never checks emissions we're good. Repeat: This car loads maybe 50 miles a year for her salon visits and coupon clipping. So please don't shame my earth footprint
The guy in Autozone said he's seeing at least 5 customers a week doing this same job.

This makes me happy. Good on you. And who gives a dead moose's last shit about being perceived as ghetto. Be proud of it. That's an awesome repair and will keep the thieves away. Not to mention, that prius might have some more pop now when you floor it. Think it of it as the Prius Sports Edition.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostThu May 13, 21 8:49 am     Reply with quote

You say ghetto like it's a bad thing... (you should see my bars and kites!).

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostThu May 13, 21 10:36 am    Vintage Ghetto Reply with quote

shred_da_gorge wrote:
You say ghetto like it's a bad thing...

Can't wait to see the pipe once it heats up and gets some patina on its outside.

Once that happens your status will be shot up too "Vintage Ghetto"!

Love the workaround fix!

Last edited by Sasquatch on Mon May 17, 21 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostThu May 13, 21 11:58 am     Reply with quote

Kip you gotta throw a string of multicolor LEDs under there if you really want to live up to 'ghetto'!

And some cambered chromed out 24s...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4JZ7u_jVAM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: