Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Event Site - summer 2021.
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostFri Apr 23, 21 5:14 pm    Event Site - summer 2021. Reply with quote

2021 Port Waterfront Operations Preview Outline

April 23, 2021

Due to the uncertainty of COVID recovery and assumed high use of the Hood River Waterfront, Port staff is working towards resuming services offered in years past. To open some of the Port facilities it will require additional vaccinated staff, which typically starts around June 1st. This is a general outline with anticipated dates for reopening operations.

Park Management Hours and Access
All beaches, parks, access points and the Waterfront Trail are open to the public regular hours like any other year.
The Event Site Beach will close to launching from the grass the week before Memorial Day due to expected crowds and safety concerns. It will remain closed until late September when the season slows down. All launching and landing of kites must take place from the Sandbar when the grass/beach area is closed.
If the Event Site experiences large crowds early May or dangerous behavior at any time, the launch land privilege may be shut down sooner due to safety concerns.

Restrooms
Port public restrooms are currently closed. This includes the Event Site, Marina Beach, HRYC building, Marina Boat Ramp. The Port tentatively plans to reopen restrooms 7/1/2021, or earlier if possible, when additional summer and weekend staff becomes available and vaccinated.

Port-a-Potties have been put in place and numbers will increase as needed until restrooms reopen.
With the unseasonably warm weather so early this year we anticipate ramping up port-a-potty numbers earlier than last year. The mid-April 80 degree weather last week was a surprise we were not prepared for so changes are being made. Sorry about that.
Garbage
No trash cans are set out on Port Waterfront Property. Dumpsters have been put out at several locations. Trash service is expected to resume 7/1/2021 or sooner, pending summer staff availability. Several dumpsters will remain for efficiency.

Dog Stations/Animal Control
Dog Stations have been removed until further notice. Dog owners need to assume responsibility for picking up after their pets and should bring their own bags and pack them out.
Port Ordinance 24 states that dogs on Port property must be on leash at all times and attached to their owner.

Concessions
All Concession locations have been filled.
Vendors plan to open sometime from now through mid-May, depending on their lease agreements.

Event Site Parking Booth & Host
All vehicles in the ES Lot and Lot #1 must have passes or pay to park.
Street Parking is for paid parking only, passes are not valid.
Event Site Parking Booth opens 5/27/21 and will remain open daily 7am-7pm until Labor Day. If booth is closed pay at kiosks. Violators may be ticketed.
Starting now through Labor Day, the Event Site Parking Lot will have the chain put up nightly. The lot opens at 7am and the gate closes at 9pm.
Rock Star Event Site Host, Doug Newcomb, returned 4/15/21. He assists Port Staff with parking, signage, lost and found, dog education and general peacekeeping.

Lot #1
Starting Friday May 27th (Memorial Day Weekend) through Labor Day, Lot #1 will remain unlocked for Event Site overflow parking. Hours are 6am-9pm. No overnight parking. Event Site Day and Season Parking Passes are valid, or people can pay by the hour by using the kiosks.
Hood River Security will monitor at night.
Tickets will be issued to violators.

Parking & Enforcement
Port Parking Staff starts up mid Spring. They will patrol all Port Waterfront locations and will issue tickets to those not compliant with the area that they have parked. Enforcement is responsible for putting up the Lot Full sign the Event Site Parking Lot when the lot fills up on busy days and to assist the Parking Booth staff when they need help.
Hood River Security covers night parking enforcement.

jaksavage

Since 02 Dec 2009
216 Posts
hood river
Stoked

PostSat Apr 24, 21 9:08 am    Sad Reply with quote

Last fall we were denied access to the grass until mid october.
This spring we will be denied access to the grass during high water.

There are two open positions coming up on the port board. It would help our cause immensely if a watersport user was on the port board...

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSat Apr 24, 21 9:42 am     Reply with quote

Are we being denied during high water? Seems like Port has allowed high water launching in the past.

Eric

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostSat Apr 24, 21 3:33 pm    Re: Sad Reply with quote

jaksavage wrote:
Last fall we were denied access to the grass until mid october.
This spring we will be denied access to the grass during high water.

There are two open positions coming up on the port board. It would help our cause immensely if a watersport user was on the port board...

The Port update is an improvement over last year, which was a learning curve for all, and still is. Mini-miracle the ES was even open IMO. Concessions are back up and parking reads like more availability to me. Previously the Port has always adjusted with trying to keep ALL user groups content, especially kiters when it came to high water launching needs.

LD, appreciate the update. Thumb's Up

Last edited by Sella on Wed Apr 28, 21 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total

ay

Since 11 Oct 2008
109 Posts
HR - ME
Stoked

PostSat Apr 24, 21 4:03 pm     Reply with quote

Good update Laird. Thanks

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSat Apr 24, 21 4:36 pm     Reply with quote

ay wrote:
Good update Laird. Thanks

I just copied and pasted an email from Daryl at the Port. Daryl is awesome.
They're trying to appease many user groups..... tough job.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSun Apr 25, 21 7:18 am     Reply with quote

Jacksavage, I’ll email the port and inquire about high water contingencies and post up on this thread. In the past they have allowed periodic grass launch/land use for high water. Hopefully that will continue?

For those of us on strings, I’d suggest we try and keep the peace amongst ourselves. The user demographic is changing once again in that I’m seeing a lot more picnic crowds now. Moreover, some stringers are moving to wingers. My point being, I’d hate to become completely marginalized users of the ES with little to no weight.

Eric

MrGie

Since 17 Feb 2015
55 Posts

PostSun Apr 25, 21 1:06 pm    FIRE Reply with quote

Does anyone know if fires are allowed on the sandbar?

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSun Apr 25, 21 1:21 pm    Re: FIRE Reply with quote

MrGie wrote:
Does anyone know if fires are allowed on the sandbar?

Doubtful. Back in 2008 or so we had the lahar mess when the powers allowed bonfires for one weekend. What a night. I destroyed one chainsaw, but more than worth it. Must have been 10-12 huge fires with all the tribes dancing.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostTue Apr 27, 21 4:33 pm     Reply with quote

This is a very positive response from the Port re high water. Note that we need to play a role in this. I’m hopeful that we can work something out. I have offered to speak to the commission if they would find that helpful. I will keep you posted.

“ We have not discussed a contingency plan. I’m not sure we have the bandwidth to be able to open and close the launch depending on water levels, crowd size and availability of Port staff.

The main concern is safety for all and with crowd size increasing the further we get into the season and so many user groups in such a tight space, along with increased spectators that are oblivious to their surroundings, it’s a risky move on the Ports part to have it open under those conditions.

We support the kiting community and want to accommodate requests for access however the Waterfront has become so incredibly busy it is quite a challenge.

If you had a proposal on how to manage the launching and landing that would not involve Port staff and would satisfy the Ports need for safety then it is something I could run past upper management, however no promises.

Kind regards,”

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Apr 28, 21 2:02 pm     Reply with quote

Eric,
Perhaps you could ask the messenger to put this topic up to the Waterfront Recreation committee. Guessing your contact is one of the members. Also guessing they have not met in the past year due to Covid.

The Port has notes from their previous meetings (last one was April 2019.
I found this:
High water access dates/ signs- Rob will set up Kite Launch Pad & Kiting safety signs April 15. Port Staff proposed May 23rd last day for launching on grass. Adam & Pepi from CGKA suggested that we do not set the date that early due to the expected high water. The Port will work with them on monitoring the crowds and water levels to insure the best measures for safety.

Waterfront Recreation Committee: (Commissioner Ben Sheppard)
Members: TJ Gulizia, Sam Bauer, Mark Hickock (HRV Parks & Rec); Daryl Stafford (Port Staff).

The Waterfront Recreation Committee is an ad-hoc advisory group of waterfront stakeholders that investigates, discusses and collects information related to a variety of waterfront activities on behalf of the Port of Hood River.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostWed Apr 28, 21 5:05 pm     Reply with quote

Had a first meeting today with a Port rep. Some good ideas came up. I will update as things evolve, but for now a positive start.

Eric

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostThu Apr 29, 21 7:45 am     Reply with quote

eric wrote:
Had a first meeting today with a Port rep. Some good ideas came up. I will update as things evolve, but for now a positive start.

Eric

Thanks Eric!

jeromed

Since 22 Jun 2013
5 Posts

Kook

PostTue May 04, 21 4:09 am    Are Wingfoilers allowed to launch from grass? Reply with quote

As wings do NOT have kite lines, can they use the grassy area for launching? (Real Kiteboarding blog implies that it is ok). Launching off the sandbar will be problematic for wingfoilers as it will be difficult to get the board upwind to maintain deep enough water to launch.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostTue May 04, 21 10:25 am     Reply with quote

More wingers are launching from the westward waterfront park area, which is a nice set-up, as water depth and drift are a non-issue while the Event Site wind shadow is always a bit funky to deal with until you get out past the jetty/buoy area.

Wunderbar will also become a solid wing spot as it always has a bit more wind late in the day but less real estate to rig a kite etc. The north end of the sandbar drops off quickly too.

Compared to kites, wings are a river access dream come true.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostTue May 04, 21 7:28 pm     Reply with quote

An update. The Port is under staffed for the season. If I understood them correctly they have several maintenance positions unfilled to date. So, what this means is they do not have the staff to monitor an on/off water level launch from the grass.

For us to have this ability we would need to form a volunteer group that would put up, and remove signage during buried sandbar events—mid week only—with a cut off altogether when summer high season starts. Volunteers would also need to politely ask kiters and picnickers to move etc. When, not if, folks argue with you, you’ll need to gracefully back away and close the grass to launching.

The event site usage by non wind people exploded last summer, and it’s anticipated to grow even more this summer. I’m not sure how I feel about signing up to be a lawn cop.

I do want to mention that the Port is not anti kiter by any means. It’s an issue of employee bandwidth, exponential growth in users, the bulk of which are picnickers. Not just at the event site lawn, but all of the Port beaches.

Eric

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed May 05, 21 6:49 am     Reply with quote

eric wrote:
An update. The Port is under staffed for the season. If I understood them correctly they have several maintenance positions unfilled to date. So, what this means is they do not have the staff to monitor an on/off water level launch from the grass.

For us to have this ability we would need to form a volunteer group that would put up, and remove signage during buried sandbar events—mid week only—with a cut off altogether when summer high season starts. Volunteers would also need to politely ask kiters and picnickers to move etc. When, not if, folks argue with you, you’ll need to gracefully back away and close the grass to launching.

The event site usage by non wind people exploded last summer, and it’s anticipated to grow even more this summer. I’m not sure how I feel about signing up to be a lawn cop.

I do want to mention that the Port is not anti kiter by any means. It’s an issue of employee bandwidth, exponential growth in users, the bulk of which are picnickers. Not just at the event site lawn, but all of the Port beaches.

Eric

I was the volunteer last summer. I don't use the Event Site anymore, so I don't think it's appropriate for me to be that person this year.

WE NEED SOME VOLUNTEERS!

Does anyone know the Event Site Host, Doug Newcomb? Perhaps he can help? Maybe he likes beer or something?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: