Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Slingshot 9m UFO for coast wave riding on a surfboard?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
phill

Since 26 May 2016
56 Posts

PostFri Jan 08, 21 7:31 pm    Slingshot 9m UFO for coast wave riding on a surfboard? Reply with quote

Has anyone have feedback with a Slingshot UFO for coast wave riding on a surfboard?

Also are the UFO' s too fragile for wave tumbles?

I am wanting to have a kite for both foiling and wave riding with a surfboard.
I am certain the UFO is the perfect foil kite.

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostFri Jan 08, 21 8:22 pm     Reply with quote

I am an avid SST rider and foil 90% of the time. Why the SST, two items. The SST drift and they are stable in the air with one hard. I really like to park the kite in one spot and keep the kite at that location with one hard with little effort. The UFO is 85-90% like the SST. But note that I only tried the 8m UFO, but did ride it for an hour and then switched back to my SST. Why am I sticking with the SST? The UFO, as I’m sure with all no strut kites, have a mass amount of flutter when you let the bar out. I personally do not like this, the sound and the bar feeling this provides. I also have no need for a lightweight small package when storing the kite, just note. UFO construction, I feel it is 100% equal, from my inspection. I also tried the Ghost, horrible kite for what I like. The Ghost I found had more bar pressure, did not stay parked and was slow to turn. But note that I did not try the Ghost back to back on the same day, like I did with the UFO. I personally would never buy the Ghost but I would buy the UFO with no reservations. If I needed a kite to travel with, I would buy a UFO without even a thought. Light wind, I have no experience or thought on this subject for the UFO

bfb38

Since 02 Sep 2016
75 Posts

PostSat Jan 09, 21 5:16 pm     Reply with quote

8m ufo?

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostSat Jan 09, 21 5:25 pm     Reply with quote

sorry, 7m was tested.

lineman

Since 05 Feb 2009
170 Posts

Stoked

PostSat Jan 09, 21 7:47 pm     Reply with quote

Ghost is best if you want to ride in the surf, more durable for sure. Sorry windski, the Ghost is way better for foiling, try it on 23m lines. I’ll never go back to my SST for foiling the drift on the Ghost is amazing!

ay

Since 11 Oct 2008
109 Posts
HR - ME
Stoked

PostSat Jan 23, 21 4:08 pm     Reply with quote

Having a single strut is helpful for relaunch when you go down especially in marginal wind with swell.

phill

Since 26 May 2016
56 Posts

PostSat Jan 23, 21 4:39 pm    Slingshot 9m UFO for coast wave riding on a surfboard? Reply with quote

I am sure a single strut would help relaunch in waves more so than the UFO , yet the gorge has big swell , though not breaking waves yet the UFO is hugely popular in the gorge.

I was interested to hear if anyone is using the UFO on the coast as the Cloud kite is very popular in Maui , some using it on surfboard wave riding there.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: