Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

What happened to the Rooster wind station?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostWed Dec 02, 20 10:59 am    What happened to the Rooster wind station? Reply with quote

The camera is working fine, but the wind o meter had disappeared from Ikite.

FWIW, the camera says its scary and smoking.

The Skamania lodge camera seems to have gotten an upgrade.

[urlhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTIELYGH7ZU&feature=youtu.be[/url]

Marcus O

Since 30 May 2018
98 Posts

PostWed Dec 02, 20 2:54 pm     Reply with quote

Last update I saw was that it's offline due to a cellular modem issue.

that_guy_stu

Since 22 Sep 2012
27 Posts

PostThu Dec 03, 20 9:00 am     Reply with quote

It is a frustrating situation because that weather station is likely collecting data and the only issue is the small 4G modem inside the electronics case. The software driving this modem is buggy and causes the hardware to essentially lock-up in an endless loop. On occasion, the modem is able to recover and spring back to life as though nothing happened. That's what we hoped for when the problem began in early NOV 2020.

The boat driver that normally supports this station has moved on to his full-time winter employment and is not available until spring. Very few are willing to put their craft in the water and put it alongside a rusty, crusty steel river piling in DEC / JAN / FEB but if you know of a captain who is - send them my way...

Stuart Hill
shill@weatherflow.com

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostThu Dec 03, 20 9:26 am     Reply with quote

that_guy_stu wrote:

The boat driver that normally supports this station has moved on to his full-time winter employment and is not available until spring. Very few are willing to put their craft in the water and put it alongside a rusty, crusty steel river piling in DEC / JAN / FEB but if you know of a captain who is - send them my way...

Stuart Hill
shill@weatherflow.com

I could be talked into this. PM sent.

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostThu Dec 03, 20 1:13 pm     Reply with quote

Thx Nak!

Above and Beyond...

PS - Remember the Corbett meter is up and working - typically reads just a tad less than Rooster on the gusts while the lull / baseline winds will be much less, but it's helpful along with the CAM to get a quick read...for those still interested.

Mc

2020-12-03_13-20-06.png 

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostSun Dec 06, 20 8:41 am     Reply with quote

I was there yesterday looking at smoke on the water. Must have been 40-60 mph but colder than a witches___! Went to Viento next and our trusty hard core HR winter crew was there foiling in 36 degrees. They said they were toasty in their full on winter drysuit, hoods, heavy duty gloves and booties! Animals!!!!

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSun Dec 06, 20 9:53 am     Reply with quote

Moondog, if you invest in the proper gear to stay warm and safe (dress for the swim) winter foiling at Viento is perhaps the steadiest wind you will ever foil in, bar none. Not for everyone, and not particularly exciting on twin tip, or directional. But foiling, oh my!

Eric

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostMon Dec 07, 20 10:43 am     Reply with quote

So, is there a bat signal for rallying the winter foil crowd? A regular time slot? Viento says 16 gusting to 20 and 40 degrees. Little more at Stevenson

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostMon Dec 07, 20 4:52 pm     Reply with quote

Pretty much folks there everyday it's windy--like today. Three of us there from 8-2, then another 5 showed up from 2 --? There are perhaps 20 regulars, and at least a few on any given day. If it's windy and air temp is 32 or higher I go. Below 32 air temp your lines start freezing, which gets a little sporting...

Typically, wind starts at 7am and goes to 2 or so. Some days like today, nobody remembers to turn the fan off.

Feel free to PM me, and/or Steve Fisher for more group beta

Eric

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostMon Dec 07, 20 5:36 pm     Reply with quote

Got a Parks pass, next time I’m there!

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostMon Dec 07, 20 5:42 pm     Reply with quote

Achim says it’s steadier wind than you will ever find in La Ventana, just 35 degrees cooler!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: