Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Slingshot help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
lineman

Since 05 Feb 2009
170 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Nov 18, 20 7:50 pm    Slingshot help Reply with quote

Just wondering how people liking the Ghost & UFO? I am torn between the 4m ghost & 5m UFO. This would be strictly for foiling and to add to the confusion the UFO now has the 1.1 version out. Was there an issue with the first version? Demo is not an option where I’m from Sad Sad

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostWed Nov 18, 20 11:43 pm    U.F.O.'s Reply with quote

Here ya go - everything you ever wanted to know about Alien UFO's

https://kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2407028

Cheers,

Mc

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostThu Nov 19, 20 8:07 am     Reply with quote

My $0.02

If foil only UFO, the 5 is particularly, brilliant. The v1.1 is simply a cloth change--blue-->black. The black is slightly heavier. The change was due to there being no more blue cloth available. I own both blue and black. No difference.

I, as well as others keep pestering SS to make a 4 UFO, which I would buy the instant it comes available.

The low end of UFO's is very impressive. You do lose some top end compared to 3 strutters.

Relaunch is super easy normally. If you crash the kite and get the "kiddie pool" where water is on top of the canopy, simply gently, pull either outside line until air goes under and starts to lift canopy and drains water off--30 seconds +/---then relaunch as per usual.

Launching and landing. Careful! these kites weigh next to nothing and can take off on you.

lineman

Since 05 Feb 2009
170 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Nov 19, 20 6:40 pm     Reply with quote

Many thanks guys! What would you say is the relaunch parameter for the 9m, can I relaunch in 12 mph?

Also wind range for 5m?

Thanks!

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostThu Nov 19, 20 8:52 pm     Reply with quote

You can relaunch 9m down to 10/11 mph. Possibly less with a lot of practice. The 5 ufo is basically = 6m SST with an extra 3 mph on the low end. So, for me at 180 lbs on a 1000 cm^2 area wing I use the 5 in averages of 18-28. Lulls to 15 are fine. Gusts to 35 okay too. The sweet spot is avg 19-26 mph.

purdyd

Since 27 Nov 2006
41 Posts

PostFri Nov 20, 20 6:24 am     Reply with quote

I have 7,5, 3m UFOs and a 4m ghost BECAUSE SLINGSHOT DOESNT MAKE A 4m UFO WHICH WOULD ABSOLUTLEY ROCK!

Sorry, i feel better now. Embarassed

I agree with everything Eric said.

Except my low wind range is 12 mph average on my 5m 9 on my 7 and 20+ with my 3m

The 5m is brilliant. The 3m is a lot of fun but takes a lot of wind. The 7m seems a bit slow and has a lot of pull (I think a slightly smaller leading edge and flatter profile would suit me better).

About the time the 7m gets moving (as it speeds up with more wind), I can ride the 5m

There is a lot of space between the 5 and 3. (4m please)

The 4m ghost is a fun kite. Weighs 50 grams more than the 5m and doesn’t quite have that ghost feel.

Relaunch is really easy on the 5 and 7 I think due in part to the larger leading edge and how the kites sit in the water. The 3m isn’t quite as magic. No issue in its wind range though.

The bags are kind of gimmicky but the kites do fit. Wish they would have used a stuff sack or a messenger bag flap instead of zippers. I think all of my UFOs would fit into the 4m ghost bag. The contrast is almost alarming.

Good luck in your choice!

lineman

Since 05 Feb 2009
170 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Dec 22, 20 2:23 pm     Reply with quote

I ended up with an 8m Ghost and love it. Took a little getting used to but I’m in love with how well it performs for foiling.
I don’t have a lot of time on it so I’m a little in the dark about it’s actual wind range. I’m guessing 12 to 18 mph. Looking to get another size but not sure if I want the 6 or 4.
I’m looking to ride in 18 to 24 mph, that’s the average, with higher gusts.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: