Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Lighter and stronger kites?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
880 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostSat Sep 26, 20 2:17 pm    Lighter and stronger kites? Reply with quote

I now see there are two kite companies that have replaced dacron with supposedly a lighter, stiffer and stronger fabric around the bladders and other key structural areas. Ocean Rodeo is using a material called "Aluula", and Duotone has just release some 2021 kites with a material called "Penta TX".

Would sure like to hear feedback from anyone out there that has tried these new kites and what they found with performance and other characteristics. I like the idea of a lighter, stronger and stiffer framework for inflatable kites. It all sounds great till you look at the price tag, yikes! I want to ride the best equipment I can get my hands on, but don't want to spend the extra dollars if the kites are just marginally better.

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostSun Sep 27, 20 12:20 am    Penta & Aluula Kites Reply with quote

Hey Windian!

Great topic...love to hear some more 1st hand 411 in the meantime Mr. Kitefinder has a good head to head with the new NEO SLS 2021 vs. NEO 2020 here: https://youtu.be/qgPGJPKOQP0

I was following the release of the ALUULA Black campaign closely, even dropped in at the AWI show to sneek a peek - can't imagine why they went with Gold - Yuck! Keep meaning to take out the DEMO's from Windance for a spin but having so much fun on my non-Aluula Flite still haven't gotten the chance. (Also not secretly waiting for the ALL BLACK design to make a comeback)

Also as a heavy formerly North (Rebels) now Duotone user was very excited about the new 2021's checking the website everyday seeing the cool colors on the Dice, Neo only to be left with more questions than answers on the final output...

If the new material is so good why is it ONLY offered in the NEO? Maybe it's still in the more to come category??? Did it not work well in the other kites? And what's up with the white/pink and yellow Rebels - yes there's a blue one = but so bummed to not see the dark charcoal with white panel and bright yellow D - just saying...

Can see the wisdom of paying up for Aluula or Penta for light wind kite - love to learn more about how it might benefit the bread & butter sizes 7,8,9,10 we ride most often when it's actually whitecappin'

Please SHARE your 411 - I'm boycotting everything 2020 so now very focused on the 2021 gear from all the vendors - any others putting new materials to the market? My understanding is these designs can pump up to VERY high numbers vs. dacron kites for massive stability.

Mc

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostMon Sep 28, 20 1:16 pm     Reply with quote

They did a good test of the standard vs Aluula Roam on YouTube too. I demoed the 10 m Roam from Windance. It’s very light, stiff with a narrow leading edge, and aluula is hydrophobic. Amazing kite, the upstroke was as quick as the down stroke. Probably only worth the extra price in 10m and up though. I’m considering The 12 or 14.5m Flite for the North Coast

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
533 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Feb 27, 23 2:34 pm     Reply with quote

I did a search for aluula before asking the question, so bringing this thread back to the front of the line.

Ive heard a few things fr people i know, but i dont know that many people. So, wondering what the community thinks of this material and the kites made with it

Ive heard that you can pump the aluula kites up super rigid, and this allows them to be flown in a more performant way. This was explained to me as kite turns faster and is more stiff, so can be flown in a wider wind range.

So maybe you dont need as many kites then and that is a way of justifying the cost?

Is aluula a game changer? Once you've ridden one there is no going back? Or it it a base hit improvement heading in the right direction and this is the early adoption period?

Im sure there are other questions that need to be asked. This is just where i am for the moment as im in a place where my kites are a few years old, due to injury i havent been as active, but am on track to be out there quite a bit this coming season and am looking to upgrade the quiver.

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2023 Posts

Windward

PostTue Feb 28, 23 7:33 am    Ocean Rodeo wings Reply with quote

I tore a couple of wholes in my wing sliced by barnacles from O.R. and patch one up,
and left a 3" hole in another place and blew it up ,And it didn't rip.

besides being strong and very light it is water repellent

I think the new material is on the right track

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
880 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostWed Mar 01, 23 10:06 am     Reply with quote

Interesting to see the return of this thread since I did the original post back in 2020. Not to long after beginning this thread I forked out the cash and bought the first generation of SLS Neos (7,9, and 11m kites). I was immediately impressed with the overall and better performance of the kites. Stronger, lighter and superior is spot on with theses kites. I used a precision digital fish scale to weigh my new 9m Neo against my old SS 9m and it came in 20% lighter, and weight makes a huge difference in performance especially when it has a stiffer frame via the Penta TX.

I am half considering getting the new Duotone DLab Neo in a 9m. Where I kite at home I probably use a 9m kite for surfing more than all my other kite sizes combined. Curious if the drop in weight with the Aluula material would enhance a significant performance step similar to what the Penta TX did over standard dacron. What is stopping me is the price tag of Aluula so I will not purchase one without a discount.

I am super stoked that the new kites are getting better with the new materials. Just wish they didn't break the bank when buying.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Mar 01, 23 11:24 am     Reply with quote

Ocean Rodeo has a new ReRide program where they take used kites in, clean them up & repair anything that needs it and resells them cheaper. No idea how much less but might be worth a look.

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostWed Mar 01, 23 11:44 am    Aluula Reply with quote

Hey OG,

Good questions all - here's my .02 evolved over 3 years since my initial reply.
Quote:
"
1. heard that you can pump the aluula kites up super rigid

2. as kite turns faster and is more stiff, so can be flown in a wider wind range.

3. maybe you dont need as many kites

4. is a way of justifying the cost?

5. Is aluula a game changer?

6. Once you've ridden one there is no going back?"

My .02: Since my last post I started with an Flite 14.5 A (Aluula) and last year added 9 and 11 Rise A to the fleet

1 - YUP - can pump till your arms hurt but generally don't need to go double digits, i typically pump to a firm 8-9

2 - SUPER TRUE - these kites are mega stable and eat up gusts while being very controllable and responsive to steering inputs, you will find they pull nearly equally well on the upstroke as the down. They DO provide a bigger range but See #3

3 - FALSE - IMHO you could try to stretch to a 2 kite quiver but that's really NOT a good idea even with the fancy kite properties. Hard to see the benefit of ALWAYS being on a kite that's NOT QUITE RIGHT - that would be like wearing your brothers hand me down shoes. That said when I first got my 14.5 - I seemed to always be reaching for it, so maybe pick your daily driver 10m? as a first upgrade and go from there.

4 - Hmm this one will remain tough. but once you fly one it will become surmountable, start saving ahead now and do your best to find a deal. Prices for Aluula have always been HIGH but got much worse when Duotone jacked prices on the D-Lab Aluula kites to nearly 4k. Not sure if this was a supply / demand function of the gorilla getting in the game or just a monkey see monkey charge move by Ocean Rodeo. The exact day Duotone popped the D-Labs $ - the OR website jumped prices over $700 for the exact same kites as the day prior.

5 - YES 100%

6 - Unfortunately also YES 100%. The reality is that the NEXT jump forward potentially coming in the 2024 kites is a new canopy material derived from Aluula like composites. Ocean Rodeo has it on the 2023 wings for you to see - take a peek at Aeries X and Graflyte

https://youtu.be/HsO4RMutZ0M

Good winds

Mc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: