Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

EVENT SITE KITE LAUNCH/LAND REOPENS OCT 5th

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostThu Sep 24, 20 12:12 pm    EVENT SITE KITE LAUNCH/LAND REOPENS OCT 5th Reply with quote

Port of Hood River sent out a reminder that the Event Site is still in PUMP/DRY Mode until OCTOBER 4th.
Kiteboarding LAUNCH/LAND will restart via the Event Site Monday, OCTOBER 5th.

Let's all give our Event Site Host Doug a hand with following these guidelines and keep everything happy and dandy along the waterfront.

It's been a weird end to our Summer, and we are ALL looking forward to a fun and windy local Fall kite/wind season.

Again, big props of thanks to Doug, our Host and Daryl, our Port Waterfront Manager, Daryl, and the Port Maintenance crew who have been cleaning up after all of the tourists all summer.

www.Purestokesports.com

tkaraszewski

Since 21 Oct 2016
41 Posts
Hood River

PostThu Sep 24, 20 1:42 pm     Reply with quote

Anyone know what the point of waiting 3 extra weeks past the date posted on the parking booth (Sept 15) is? Given that the crowds are already gone. I asked someone at the Event Site today, but he didn't seem to know.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostThu Sep 24, 20 3:35 pm     Reply with quote

^^^

Agreed. The lawn is green grass and tumbleweeds at this point.

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostThu Sep 24, 20 4:39 pm     Reply with quote

Any word on how the Port will handle season pass parking going forward?

My pass is good through the end of 2020, right? I’d be happy to re-up at the new year for 2021.

And what about that work party?

I’m happy to cooperate, but another couple weeks seems excessive. Next week works for me, if anybody cares.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostThu Sep 24, 20 7:27 pm     Reply with quote

There are some pretty big logs just under the water near the middle of the sandbar I'd be happy to help move if a work party is scheduled. Nasty boulders too.

Doug, great meeting you this year, and thanks again for texting me when I boneheadedly left valuable gear lying out on the grass and went home. You rock, man!

Predictions... season pass lottery or auction in 2021? VIP grass launch packages available next week?

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostThu Sep 24, 20 9:33 pm     Reply with quote

All good questions that I do not have the answers to.
Maybe Laird or Doug might have some insight on the reopening timelines.

As for the clean up, that is a CGW2 event that would be up to them to comment on.

www.Purestokesports.com

flightmac

Since 14 Nov 2017
69 Posts

PostFri Sep 25, 20 1:13 pm     Reply with quote

Bitter sweet time of year, summers gone but I love getting the grass launch back!

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostFri Sep 25, 20 5:56 pm     Reply with quote

It's the virus - launching from the Sandbar promotes social distancing.
Launching on the grass promotes social clusters.

Bargeslayer

Since 08 Jul 2012
100 Posts

Stoked

PostSat Sep 26, 20 6:52 am     Reply with quote

Every time I go to the sandbar there are clusters of people hanging out and talking. I'm not convinced that it is demonstrably different from what happens at Event Site.

If we look critically at where outbreaks are occuring it is primarily indoors with poor air circulation (bars, restaurants, churches, athletic facilities, indoor political rallies). However you feel about them politically, the protests in Portland were a good case study that outdoor gatherings do not result in super spreader events. That said, I support whatever the Port feels is safest but I wonder if we should be focusing on other areas for potential outbreaks...

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostSat Sep 26, 20 10:17 am     Reply with quote

With all the smoke and other craziness, its easy to forget there is a pandemic raging. Whether anybody believes it or not is another crazy story.

The maskless cluster will be there, either way. Same as it ever was.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostSat Sep 26, 20 10:53 am     Reply with quote

That rationale doesn't make sense. Social clustering happens in the parking lot around people's cars/vans/RVs, and the significant number of non-kiters who displayed abhorrent behavior has dwindled now that college parties are back to raising rates (not to mention the post-Labor Day spikes). I suspect the event site has contributed to immeasurable noise in the region's cases, which effect other demographics disparately.

HRnico

Since 22 Mar 2008
260 Posts
Da Hood
Obsessed

PostSat Sep 26, 20 1:38 pm    Time to move on. Reply with quote

Can’t wait for covid-20 to start. I’m done with -19.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSun Sep 27, 20 10:30 am     Reply with quote

shred_da_gorge wrote:
That rationale doesn't make sense. Social clustering happens in the parking lot around people's cars/vans/RVs, and the significant number of non-kiters who displayed abhorrent behavior has dwindled now that college parties are back to raising rates (not to mention the post-Labor Day spikes). I suspect the event site has contributed to immeasurable noise in the region's cases, which effect other demographics disparately.

I think you're making the argument that people are already clustering at the Event Site so why not allow lawn access - even though it may lead to more clustering?
My mother taught me that 2 wrongs don't make it right when I was 6 years old.

ay

Since 11 Oct 2008
109 Posts
HR - ME
Stoked

PostSun Sep 27, 20 5:47 pm     Reply with quote

It appears to be a Port of HR staffing issue due to limited resources in a pandemic, but effectively the same thing because people are complacent.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostSun Sep 27, 20 8:31 pm     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
shred_da_gorge wrote:

I think you're making the argument that people are already clustering at the Event Site so why not allow lawn access - even though it may lead to more clustering?
My mother taught me that 2 wrongs don't make it right when I was 6 years old.

That's not the argument I'm making. My point is that I don't believe grass launching/landing leads to more clustering. I submit that's a function of the number of people, regardless of where they're launching or landing.

There was plenty of clustering on the grass (during launching/landing) when the event site opened, but that's because there were more people there. It was actually pretty messy, as I'm sure you recall. (At one point Tony B (Sergeant Loop) was helping land people and guide people and shouted at someone trying to land a kite west of the bathrooms, and the guy shouted back, "Hey, I'm a local!"... hilarious...).

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostMon Sep 28, 20 7:06 am    Event site Reply with quote

Hey its ok at the event site now.
They have all moved to post canyon. LOL

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostFri Oct 09, 20 9:40 am     Reply with quote

Man this was handled poorly this year. Without the arrows painted people were landing over the people launching, the signs were still up saying that it wasn't allowed, Jonathan the parking lot attendant was threatening to write tickets and trying to send people back out, and people were telling him about some email saying it was OK that apparently had a different date than what he got. Also the rocks were slippery so a few people had some sketchy launches and close calls.

But nobody got hurt, and it was awesome yesterday! Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: