Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Foiling advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Loneski

Since 18 Dec 2010
103 Posts
Washington
Stoked

PostFri Sep 18, 20 11:17 am    Foiling advice Reply with quote

Just when I started thinking I was a confident foiler I was snapped back to reality. Riding light winds and smooth water I felt I could anywhere. Even after a session at Stevenson on a 25 mph plus day on a kite the size of a trainer I was surfing River Swell with ease.
The problem happened first on a big gusty day at Jones Beach. Super rough choppy water and I was right back to my first days of foiling. It felt like my wings were loose and about to fall off. I couldn’t ride for more than a short distance before exploding out of control. Constantly breaching and it felt like the currents under the water were flowing every direction at once. It was a very humbling experience.
I’m riding a 90 cm mast with a Moses 633. It’s happened a few other time times. Just before the fires we had a strong day at Kalama and the choppy water was really difficult to be able to have a nice smooth session. What is happening and how can I overcome this next hurdle?
On another note after foiling exclusively for a year I tried a downwind session at the coast on a surfboard. Super fun but who tied the anchor to the board. We get so spoiled having no resistance on a foil.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostFri Sep 18, 20 11:34 am     Reply with quote

There’s a few spots around The hatchery corridor where this happens to me.
It’s usually caused by eddy currents.
If you get too close to the Upper cove at the Hatchery (hot dog point) the foil goes wacky. Same thing happens whenever I go thru a boat wake. I give barges a wide berth and don’t cross their wake until their a half mile away.
Same for white Salmon bridge. Too close on the east side of the bridge is an eddy.

Those symptom will also occur with weeds on your foil 🤨

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostFri Sep 18, 20 12:11 pm     Reply with quote

I have found that difficult water emphasizes any problems with your foil setup. Some people like riding with extra front foot pressure, but for me balanced weight front to rear works best. For a long time I was like you; in perfect conditions everything was great, but as soon as there were issues I'd crash. I found that I had about--I'm guessing--70% of my weight on my front foot and 30% on the rear foot. I use hooks, so I couldn't move my feet further forward. This is kind of typical BTW with the 633. Anyways, I got a fuselage from Stringy that effectively moved the wings back an inch or so? (I already had the mast all the way aft on the board.) After that I was balanced on both feet and started progressing in difficult conditions. As a bonus, Stringy's fuse is lighter than the stock Moses fuselage.

nosbocaj

Since 19 Jul 2014
28 Posts
Portland

PostFri Sep 18, 20 3:43 pm     Reply with quote

Jones can be a tricky place to foil. I've never had a bad experience, but I've only foiled there three times. Because it's so close to the ocean, it's much more affected by the tide. Kalama/Sauvie can be affected by the tide as well, to a lesser extent.

Being that both of your bad experiences were on the ocean side of the Bonneville Dam, I'd probably just avoid those areas unless the conditions are favorable. According to a longtime fisherman buddy of mine, the tide can have an effect all the way to the Dam, which seems crazy, but I believe him.

Maybe some Jones experts can chime in on what the favorable tide/wind conditions are? I'd be curious to learn as well.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostFri Sep 18, 20 4:34 pm     Reply with quote

nosbocaj wrote:

Maybe some Jones experts can chime in on what the favorable tide/wind conditions are? I'd be curious to learn as well.

I'm no expert but it's one of my favorite spots. I find the Oregon side of the river to be almost always troubling. But every time I foil up into The Alley... the Washington side and upwind, I'm always happy.

Loneski

Since 18 Dec 2010
103 Posts
Washington
Stoked

PostFri Sep 18, 20 6:21 pm     Reply with quote

I agree with Nak. The stringy fuselage did help me a ton. It seams with big smooth swell there is no problem riding up and down to keep the wing in the water, but is it possible to still do that when it is 3 to 4 foot choppy water. Just as you come over the crest you are breaching on the trough? Longer Mast? Constant up and down? Ride with the board constantly as close to the water? Or like was mentioned just avoid those sections or conditions of the river. Or just like learning to ski through really bad snow conditions?

phill

Since 26 May 2016
56 Posts

PostMon Oct 12, 20 9:08 pm    weeds and turbulent waters Reply with quote

Just when I started thinking I was a confident foiler I was snapped back to reality. Riding light winds and smooth water I felt I could anywhere. Even after a session at Stevenson on a 25 mph plus day on a kite the size of a trainer I was surfing River Swell with ease.
The problem happened first on a big gusty day at Jones Beach. Super rough choppy water and I was right back to my first days of foiling. It felt like my wings were loose and about to fall off. I couldn’t ride for more than a short distance before exploding out of control. Constantly breaching and it felt like the currents under the water were flowing every direction at once. It was a very humbling experience.
I’m riding a 90 cm mast with a Moses 633. It’s happened a few other time times. Just before the fires we had a strong day at Kalama and the choppy water was really difficult to be able to have a nice smooth session. What is happening and how can I overcome this next hurdle?

Interesting to read this as yesterday I experienced this for the first time , weeds did not seem to be much of a problem at first , then the wind direction switched 45 degrees creating large washing machine chop.
I was exploding on every reach.
A combo of weeds and random large chop was humbling.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: