Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Pocket foilboard broke? What are you riding now?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
mamann

Since 16 Jul 2007
74 Posts
Gorge East

PostFri Aug 28, 20 9:38 am    Pocket foilboard broke? What are you riding now? Reply with quote

Note: I edited the title to be more on point with the info I'm looking for.

I’m in the market for a pocket foil board. I need to find out what boards don’t break, as I don't have the time or money to be buying multiple boards. I have broken multiple boards and have spoken to, and know of many other people that have broken their foil boards, of various brands and construction types.

Seems like jumping them and hard carving causes a lot of stress and failures in the mast mount area and in front of the mast mount. I’m not doing ‘big’ airs, just small strapless jumps, ollies and carving swell. Seems like there must be something out there that can withstand this.

What pocket boards are not failing, especially with jumping and hard carving?

Looking for low volume(<20 liters), ~36-46” length(38-42" ideal), with tracks, or at least multiple mast plate mounting position options.

Any input is appreciated.

Last edited by mamann on Sun Aug 30, 20 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostFri Aug 28, 20 12:59 pm     Reply with quote

Pretty sure Brain Moolman will be able to construct a robust pocketboard of 37". He owns/builds HFC (Hood Foil Company) boards. Find him on Facebook.
I love mine.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostFri Aug 28, 20 2:06 pm     Reply with quote

I've never seen a Slingshot Dwarfcraft break.
Fred Hope jumps the s**t out of it - including strapless back rolls..... no problems.

mamann

Since 16 Jul 2007
74 Posts
Gorge East

PostSat Aug 29, 20 7:51 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. They are definitely nice boards, fun to ride, but I have had, and know of issues with both.

Is there any particular construction type that is both fairly light and strong? Seems like the the wakeboard/twintip style construction would be stronger, but is on the heavy side, and not really made in pocket board size.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSat Aug 29, 20 8:10 am     Reply with quote

I've never heard of an issue with one of these:
https://www.kanahashapes.com/ I have the 47" and the 42".

I broke two Brand X boards in two days and decided I needed to step up in the world. While I wouldn't call the 47" a "pocket board", I've abused it since January and I'm not a lightweight. Zero regrets, I love this board.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSat Aug 29, 20 8:32 am     Reply with quote

Nak wrote:
I've never heard of an issue with one of these:
https://www.kanahashapes.com/ I have the 47" and the 42".

I broke two Brand X boards in two days and decided I needed to step up in the world. While I wouldn't call the 47" a "pocket board", I've abused it since January and I'm not a lightweight. Zero regrets, I love this board.

Ditto, I've owned 37" & 42" and this is the first I've ever heard of a "had issues"comment. We need to ask Jim Stringfellow since he knows of almost every KS board out there.

mamann

Since 16 Jul 2007
74 Posts
Gorge East

PostSat Aug 29, 20 9:18 am     Reply with quote

Good to know. That's the kind of feedback that might be most useful, from people who have broken or have friends that have broken them, and then switched to something else with no issues.

I haven't heard of issues with KS. They seem like nice boards. Wasn't sure of the durability as they only come with a 90 day warranty.

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostSat Aug 29, 20 9:49 am    Dwarfcraft Reply with quote

The SS dwarfcraft seem pretty solid. No board is indestructible, and I'm sure there are more issues given the number of Dwarfcrafts in use vs boutique boards like KS. But SS warranty and service is hard to beat and super convenient if you kite in the Gorge.

I love my dwarfcraft micro. But it would be nice to see SS make a slightly smaller version like the KS 37" Mucho Macho - that is a sweet board.

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostSat Aug 29, 20 11:42 am     Reply with quote

The SS DC Micro is the broken board

www.freeridekiting.com

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSat Aug 29, 20 7:27 pm     Reply with quote

I do want to be clear here, the boards I broke were not Slingshot boards. I have a Slingshot wakefoil board that has taken everything I've thrown at it. However, I don't want to start a brand war here, hence "Brand X".

mamann

Since 16 Jul 2007
74 Posts
Gorge East

PostSun Aug 30, 20 10:11 am     Reply with quote

All brands have innovations that contribute to having more fun on the water. Ideally, failures are investigated and improvements are made, and successes are studied and tweaked to be made even better.

Some designs are stronger that others, and as the sport progresses, the limits of the gear are pushed, and failures are going to happen.

I wouldn’t write off any brand or shaper, as the only way to move forward is to learn from mistakes that create better products.

For me, pocket boards are the only type of board I enjoy riding, as they are just more nimble and fun to ride, which has allowed my to push my limits and my gear, hence this post.

I’m looking for input from others that are in the same boat, that have pushed their gear to failure, and have found suitable replacements that withstand their riding.

LVDWD

Since 04 May 2009
103 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Aug 31, 20 11:34 am    Re pocket board Reply with quote

Got a Kanaha Shapes 42 for sale. Hardly used (too hard for me) 2020 model

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostMon Aug 31, 20 11:41 am    Re: Re pocket board Reply with quote

LVDWD wrote:
Got a Kanaha Shapes 42 for sale. Hardly used (too hard for me) 2020 model

Too hard? Give it time. I sold mine (too hard)... now I'm on a 37". It will come to you, Grasshopper.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: