Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Gorge quiver question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
KenB

Since 10 Sep 2019
17 Posts

PostSat Aug 08, 20 11:39 am    Gorge quiver question Reply with quote

Everyone I talked to about a quiver for the Gorge for me (180 pounds) said 7, 9, 12 m for a twin tip. I picked up the Ocean Rodeo Prodigy 8, 9.5, 12 m for me, hoping that I wouldn't need a 7, and a 5 and 6 m for my daughter, who has subsequently declared that she doesn't want to kite after all. Are the 8, 9.5, 12 m sufficient? When I switch to a surfboard, will I need the 6 m?

Also, can I foil with the Prodigy? Ocean Rodeo says yes, but I would appreciate some first hand input. If so, should I keep the 5m? I also picked up a 4 m wave kite for my daughter. Should I hang on to that?

ZMar

Since 13 May 2018
24 Posts

PostSat Aug 08, 20 12:55 pm     Reply with quote

I’d ditch the 4m as you’ll really only get to use it on big days on foil or absolutely nuking days on anything else (over 40knots). I’d instead grab a 6m kite to use on big days or foiling. As far as the prodigy goes, it’s the kite I’ve been foiling with most for the last year and I don’t really have any complaints. Working in a shop, I’ve gotten to try tons of different kites including foil specific kites and for your situation, the prodigy is definitely one of the best options. My 7m prodigy will let me foil down to about 7 knots but will also let me throw loops at 30knots.

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostSat Aug 08, 20 1:35 pm     Reply with quote

I’m just foiling, so this is my $.02 worth. YMMV.

I’m around 205lb and I use my 4.5 foiling almost as much as I use the 6 and 9. If it’s windy, the 4.5 allows me to handle the gusts. If I look out there and think, “Really windy!” It’s the 4.5. Solid easterlies, it’s the ticket.

6m is my main kite for foiling in the corridor. Your average Gorge wind day. Twin tippers will be on 10’s or 12’s.

The 9 comes out if it’s barely white capping. The 12 hasn’t been out of the bag this year, I’ll probably sell it.

If you are going to foil, hold onto the small kites until you know your ranges. It’s more fun if you aren’t dealing with tons of power.

You shouldn’t have any trouble selling the smaller kites to other foilers once you’ve decided on your sizes.

If you are still twin tipping and surf boarding, keep the larger kites. Plus, you girl might change her mind or want to dabble. That’s a good enough excuse to have some extra kites.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: