Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

C kite VS. SLE sizing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Jun 11, 07 6:42 am    C kite VS. SLE sizing Reply with quote

Now that we've been living with SLE kties for awhile, I think most people are getting savvy to the kite size difference between C and SLE kites. When you are choosing what size kite to go on, (assuming equal sized riders and boards) you have to figure SLE kites generally have 2m extra low end per size. For example Trevor's on C kites and I am on SLE's, if he goes 13m I am usually on my 11m, if he's on his 11m, I am on a 9m.

I also have a C kite 9m which has about the same range as my 7m SLE. So it’s a bit weird going to the beach with two 9's, but range wise it makes sense.

A 13m SLE will absolutely dwarf a 13m C kite if you look at the two in the sky. The projected area (lift area) of the SLE will be much much larger. So if somebody says they are going out on their 13m C, and you have SLE's, maybe consider going smaller. The C kites size for size will generally be faster, so your friend could be having more fun on his C kite than you are having on your SLE if you pick the same size. Even though the depower benefits of SLE's are huge, the real beauty is in the extra low end, so I'd say take advantage of it.

Though SLE's depower more than C kites with the same lift area, I wouldn't use that as an excuse to go big. You can't really ride well with your kite fully depowered. Where you want to be at is riding fast and nicely powered on a smaller kite. Its easier to do with more efficient boards and technique, but getting used to rigging small I think is a better habit to get into then going big.

Its all probably too confusing but I still think its better than when kites were sized for projected area vs. flat area. Then you had 8m kites that were actually 12's. Just too weird...

Garret

Since 07 Sep 2006
254 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostMon Jun 11, 07 6:56 am     Reply with quote

Nice summary. I think this is helpful for new kiters like me who are trying to figure out what to rig by looking around and seeing what is flying. It also confirms that you do think about kiting 24/7 if at 6am you are already composing an essay about the differences of SLE and C kites Laughing

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Jun 11, 07 7:28 am     Reply with quote

Garret wrote:
It also confirms that you do think about kiting 24/7 if at 6am you are already composing an essay about the differences of SLE and C kites Laughing

Yeah I'm sick in the head. Wink

Kraemer

Since 24 Apr 2006
1735 Posts
Sky Pilot
Unicorn Captain

PostMon Jun 11, 07 8:17 am     Reply with quote

You must be sick, you didn't take your medicine and posted the dreaded "VERSUS" thread---- Shocked

http://eclipsefilms.com/

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostMon Jun 11, 07 8:34 am     Reply with quote

Yeah the power in a SLE is much better. I use to fly a 14 m C when others were on 12m C kites. Now I fly a 9 SLE when other are on 12m C kites.

Hope that helps.

www.naishkites.com

Garret

Since 07 Sep 2006
254 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostMon Jun 11, 07 8:55 am     Reply with quote

PKH wrote:
Quote:
Yeah I'm sick in the head. Wink

I found this in a literature search-- its latin name is: Milvus Cranius or simply Kite Brain

kite brain.jpg 

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2062 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Jun 11, 07 9:02 am    Re: C kite VS. SLE sizing Reply with quote

[quote="pkh"]Now that we've been living with SLE kties for awhile, I think most people are getting savvy to the kite size difference between C and SLE kites. When you are choosing what size kite to go on, (assuming equal sized riders and boards) you have to figure SLE kites generally have 2m extra low end per size.

IMO it is more like a difference of 3.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostMon Jun 11, 07 9:25 am     Reply with quote

On paper it's 33%

trevorsmith

Since 25 Apr 2005
501 Posts
PDX
Addicted

PostMon Jun 11, 07 11:59 am     Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
Yeah the power in a SLE is much better. I use to fly a 14 m C when others were on 12m C kites. Now I fly a 9 SLE when other are on 12m C kites.

Hope that helps.

I think you just might be a bit more efficient now...and your board/experience has a lot to do with this…

Phil and I rode similar size C kites, but he now rides 1 size (2m) down from my C kite that I'm riding.
With that said, We have swapped kites during our sessions, and 9m SLE has a bit more low end than I did riding my 11m C.

I think the point is, some people ask what size you are riding?
I always follow up with "Bow" or "C" because I try and go on the smallest kite while still being powered. They say 9 bow, I go on my 11m. But if someone asked me, and I just said “11” they will go and pump up their 12m Bow? Not the same.

That is why the 1 or even 2 kite quiver marketing/sales I thought was always B.S. Yes you can ride a 12m in 30 knots, but what fun is it riding with your arms extended all the way out, or if you get unhooked from your kite? Not very fun in my book.

Take out a properly sized kite and you will have way more fun then looking like a money hanging from a tree when your kite is size too big.

EdG

Since 19 Dec 2005
424 Posts
Just a Kook that's
Obsessed

PostMon Jun 11, 07 6:15 pm     Reply with quote

Very true Trevor. There is too much difference between todays kites. Not that I have been around long, but in the time I have kited, I see the difference Shocked Shocked

Always compare apple and oranges correctly!

mjc

Since 24 Mar 2007
101 Posts
Formerly Portland/Gresham, now VT
Stoked

PostMon Jun 11, 07 11:34 pm     Reply with quote

Here's a question for you....

What if two riders having equal ability and board size are both riding C kites, what weight disparity would require the larger rider to rig larger? 20lbs? Any thoughts?

It seems when most guys riding(165-185lbs) are on a 10m C, it's a 12m for me(~215lbs). ALWAYS a 2m increase for me over the majority on the water....when looking at Bows, makes the call even harder. It's easier to rig smaller as my skills continue to improve, but it's still pretty hard to look out on the water and make a quick call cuz of all you malnourished peeps. Eat up!! Very Happy It'll make my life easier....

I always ask what size, bow/C/SLE, and most importantly....how much do you weigh?

Ps......I never ask the ladies that last one Shocked

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostTue Jun 12, 07 12:11 am     Reply with quote

Yeah, that's probably better for your own safety. Although kiteboarding chicks are cool. I've asked them that question before and instead of a slap in the face they actually answered. Whether the number they gave me was true or not is another story...

Anyway, back to the main point. I heard back in the day that 20-30lbs extra warrants a kite size increase. This is consistent with me and my kiting buddy since he weighs about 30lbs less and rides a size smaller than me. Don't feel bad about rigging bigger if you weigh more than the average rider. You'll feel even worse if you're mowing the lawn out there while everyone else is boosting over your head.

bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostTue Jun 12, 07 4:49 am    Don't over look your body weight Reply with quote

I've been on SLE Turbo D's, now on TDII and I weigh 220(fat ass) and I'm 6'3'.

My board is a 138 liquid force.

It it is blowing an average of 18 to 23 I'm on my 11meter

If it is average 16meter and below I'm on a 14meter

If it is average 26 with gusts into the low 30's I'm on a 9 meter

In general I like to be in the middle of the range for my sle kites. I rarely use the cleat to lock the depower.

I notice that most folks I see at the beach do rig smaller and that's because they eat less ice cream.

kitekid

Since 15 Apr 2007
170 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Jun 12, 07 5:39 am     Reply with quote

I ride a 9m in every thing from about 10-45 mph I fly a rapture2. but I weigh 130lbs. iv also noticed that because the sle/ bow are shaped more like a wing when you get on plane and up to speed it is really easy to stay on plane Because of the shape. as with a c it is more of a dive and go dive and go.

Btw I ride a 130/37 board in all conditions

trevorsmith

Since 25 Apr 2005
501 Posts
PDX
Addicted

PostTue Jun 12, 07 5:57 am     Reply with quote

genek wrote:
..I heard back in the day that 20-30lbs extra warrants a kite size increase. This is consistent with me and my kiting buddy since he weighs about 30lbs less and rides a size smaller than me.

If you threw a 30lbs weight belt on a person, I would probably say yeah they would probably need to go up 2m in size. Or just ride a bigger board, which is what I would rather do then ride a larger kite.

I have found that having dual boards is better than a bunch of different kite sizes (and cheaper). Like if I switch from 126 to a 136, there is a big difference from slog-fest to being able to ride upwind.

Small fins also help reduce drag
Small kites turn faster, and you are able to SIN the kite faster to generate the power you need.
Yes a larger kite you can just park in lighter winds, but the trade off is it is slow, and limits the tricks you can do.

Example: I would rather ride my 13m/glide combo and do back roll/kite loops, then ride a 17m/126cm combo and just cruise back and forth.

I weigh in at 195lbs (should be 175lbs but that is another story)
My Quiver:
13m 06 Fuel
11m 06 Fuel
9m 06 Fuel
Boards:
126cm/Glide 146cm

I can ride in Suavie light days to most Gorge winds, once it gets close to that 40 knot range, I rather switch to a SLE kite.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: