Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

RECKLESS? yes IDIOT? definitely, GAPER? you make the call

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
TravisBickleRex

Since 30 Jun 2005
313 Posts

Taxi Driver

PostSun Jul 31, 05 4:46 pm    RECKLESS? yes IDIOT? definitely, GAPER? you make the call Reply with quote

...Allow me to start with some good, old fashioned whining: My back was hurtin' today. That, combined with having to complete some office work at home made me a bit irritable. After a while I convinced myself that I deserved a break from the duldrums and drove down to the marina to deliver a part for my friend's boat along with some tunes.

After a few minutes at the marina, I walked down to the swimming beach in front of the marina with camera in hand. And that's where I took these provocative photos of what I know to be a reckless idiot kiteboarder, but I am still not sure whether he is a Gaper, as defined by consensus of my esteemed nwkite.com colleges.

Brief Background: He was kiting into the swimming area very powered, and coming very close to children swimming just downwind of him. He also kited very close to a group of adults, as depicted in Exhibit C.

[/u]The Question: Is he a Gaper?

Please panelists, explain your answer. Thank you.

Mvc-031s.jpg 
   Mvc-001s.jpg 
   Mvc-033s.jpg 

utahboy

Since 10 Jul 2005
16 Posts
Salt Lake City

PostSun Jul 31, 05 7:54 pm     Reply with quote

Gaper: yes. I would add "Poser" to the list of adjectives.

rhysen

Since 20 Jul 2005
20 Posts

PostSun Jul 31, 05 8:35 pm    I think I know who this is. Reply with quote

I have wondered the same thing but I have to admit the people are idiots for sitting right in the way watching us. He is not showing off it just happens to be the best flat water in Columbia to practice on. I was in that same area today and had to ask people to not sit in the middle of the Hood River drainage watching us. I do feel there should be a sign asking the swimmers not to cross the Hood River due to possible interference with kiteboarders.

Just my 2 cents.

I was curious today if this area will be closed to us for this very reason.

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostMon Aug 01, 05 6:51 am     Reply with quote

Moose-knucklin' !!- making the coasties proud but stay away from the swimmers mooseknuckler, you've been identified and your mooseknuckle posted. There will be no peace for you as you are now a powerslave to the nwkite witch trials - burn, burn, burn...

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostMon Aug 01, 05 7:02 am     Reply with quote

I don't think most people understand that a kiter could take them out and potentially hurt them. People see the action and want to be a close to it as possible, they dont think about those lines and what they could do.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Aug 01, 05 8:00 am     Reply with quote

Reckless, yes, Idiot, yes, gaper, maybe. A gaper is a ski term used to describe someone who can't really ski, who is dangerous to others, and themselves. Please allow me to elaborate.

Typically you see the gapers on the slopes when there is a 2 for 1 day or ski free day w/a can of food day. In the old days they were easy to spot because they would wear clothing that was actually detrimental to their safety ie anything made of cotton and denim and usually a flask or skin bag with some type spirits in it. Now-a-days, the gaper is more sophisticated and more dangerous as they ride on boards and skis and have replaced their jeans with camouflage gear and store their booze in camelbacks.

So back to the guy on the water, I guess he is a gaper in the sense that he is not sufficiently clothed. . . get some boardshorts, no one wants to see your moosekuckle.

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostMon Aug 01, 05 9:33 am     Reply with quote

here's an another angle of said perp...

Shoulda reached out an slapped that girl's ass!

That'll make the moose happy!

mvc-031s_190.jpg 

Portland Pete

Since 08 Mar 2005
145 Posts
HR
Stoked

PostMon Aug 01, 05 8:03 pm     Reply with quote

Nice Photoshop job Hein

I didnt notice the first time I looked

Pete

charsumo

Since 02 Jul 2005
14 Posts

PostMon Aug 01, 05 8:45 pm     Reply with quote

Unfortunately, the people just standing in the water watching are the ignorant ones. With 45 kites in the air on a given weekend, spreading out to ride is inevitable. Gaper and mooseknuckle could also be said about the beginners flying their trainer kites or the instructors hanging out just offshore, or on the sandbar. This guy wasn't pushing rails and grabbing air over these people, so cut the guy a break. It is only a matter of time that the city is going to have to either post warning signs to the swimmers and waders to not loiter in the river at those specific spots, or they will cram all of us into the one sandbar area, and then kiters crossing lines will be the accident waiting to happen. Instructors should take note of what Big Winds does and take their students down river to isolated, safe spots.

trayle

Since 06 Aug 2005
11 Posts

PostSat Aug 06, 05 8:52 am     Reply with quote

The marina is a very popular swimming/wading/beachplay spot for families. Plenty of people like to kite near the marina because of the smooth water, but if there's swimmers and waders nearby, it's the kiters responsibility to stay a safe distance away. It's common sense, but it's also the law.

Rules for right of way are clear on this issue: Swimmers have right of way over ALL other water vehicles, followed by row boats, then sail boats, then motor boats. This means everyone yields to swimmers, kiters yield to kayakers, jet skis yield to kiters.

Everyone does need to use common sense and avoid collisions, this means staying away from the marina if it's crowded with beachgoers, no matter how appealing the flat water and spectators are. A collision between a kiter and a wader at the marina will only get kiting banned from the sandbar.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: