Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Hey, What's up with the slider?
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostTue Jun 05, 07 10:07 pm    Hey, What's up with the slider? Reply with quote

I'm never gonna get as good as Dre if we don't get that thing built!

This was posted to Kitescoop where I'm a loser lurker.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Jun 11, 07 6:18 am     Reply with quote

any updates?

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostMon Jun 11, 07 7:26 am     Reply with quote

Here are some pix from yesterday. They're in reverse order.

DSC_0137.jpg 
   DSC_0138.jpg 
   DSC_0141.jpg 
   DSC_0147.jpg 
   DSC_0148.jpg 

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Jun 11, 07 7:27 am     Reply with quote

Shocked

Sickkkk!!!!

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostMon Jun 11, 07 7:31 am     Reply with quote

This thing is going to be amazing. If you get on it, you're just going to go crazy waiting for the ride to end...

It should be in the water by this coming weekend. Rumor has it that the Liquid Force team is showing up on Friday.

The down section still needs to be built. Still taking donations!

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Jun 11, 07 7:34 am     Reply with quote

Cool, donation details here:

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-3759.html

Can't wait to try this thing, I better start pounding the liquid courage now just to make sure I'm ready. Wink

tekko

Since 20 Feb 2006
376 Posts
White Salmon
Liquid Force

PostMon Jun 11, 07 8:05 am     Reply with quote

I have had the fortune to see many many sliders built for kitebaording...some of which were built with large coorporate Redbull sponsorship and I have to say DAMN!!! That's fine!!!

That is what you get when you have the locals fund it and our local contractor / riders design and build it.

..oh... and that rumor about the LF team showing up... well, lets just say that there is some truth to that.. but we'll wait to see who makes their planes before we get too excited.....

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostMon Jun 11, 07 8:37 am     Reply with quote

if anybody has a link to get the permit information, can you please post that.

thanks

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostMon Jun 11, 07 10:58 am     Reply with quote

I highly doubt that it has a permit.

Perhaps a temporary structure permit.

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostMon Jun 11, 07 11:13 am     Reply with quote

i meant a link to get an application for the permit, ah hell, i'll just go find it.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostMon Jun 11, 07 1:15 pm     Reply with quote

magicmaker wrote:
i meant a link to get an application for the permit, ah hell, i'll just go find it.

LMAO, good luck with that.

If it were that easy I would be out of a job.

I'm almost willing to bet that you couldn't find the right permit applications in under 2 hours, but there is a good link out there which is basically "permitting for dummies" and that is this..

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostMon Jun 11, 07 1:30 pm     Reply with quote

Ok, so I'm a dick. but seriously, if your looking for a permit for that thing you have somewhat of a journey in front of you.

The feds (meaning the Corps of eng.) are cool and the gang. That activity would fall under nationwaide permit #11, temporary recreational structures and if you were in Washington, you would be done because the state dept. of ecology waived their abilty to ensure your project won't impact water quality. but you are in oregon sooo....

uh ooh, you have to get a 401 water quality permit from the OR DEQ b/c they have determined that all in-water structures need to be authorized under section 401 (section 401 of the federal clean water act). So just for shits and giggles I checked on what DEQ would say about your bitchin' slider ramp constructed out of pressure treated lumber which has arsenic in it as well as all other kinds of neat chemical compounds...

uhh ooh again..seems like they not likely that stuff...

From DEQ's genreal conditions for Corps of engineers nationwide permits...

4) Deleterious Materials: The following conditions relating to control of hazardous, toxic and waste materials shall be observed:
a. Treated Wood: Ineligibility- Projects which propose installation of chemically treated wood that will contact surface or ground water or that will be placed over water where it will be exposed to abrasion require individual, site specific review and are, therefore, not certified by this 401 WQC.
b. Projects that require removal of chemically treated wood must:
i. Ensure that no treated wood debris falls into waters of the State. If treated wood debris falls into waters of the State, it must be removed immediately.
ii. Dispose of all treated wood debris removed during a project, including treated wood pilings, at an upland facility approved for hazardous materials of this classification. Do not leave treated wood pile(s) in the water or stacked on the streambank.
iii. Immediately place removed piling onto an appropriate dry storage site.
iv. Attempt to remove the entire temporary or permanent piling.
v. Ensure any treated wood piling to remain submerged is broken, cut, or pushed at least 3 feet below the sediment surface.
vi. If chemically treated wood piles are to be removed using a vibratory hammer, ensure that holes are capped with clean fill as the pile is removed in order to contain any undecomposed chemicals which have pooled beneath the substrate and may tend to escape upon extraction of the pile due to being less dense than the surrounding water. Clean fill must be accounted for in project description and threshold limits.
vii. Fill and cover holes left by each treated timber piling removed with clean, native substrates that match surrounding streambed materials.
c. Biologically harmful materials and construction debris including, but not limited to: petroleum products, chemicals, cement cured less than 24 hours, welding slag and grindings, concrete saw cutting by-products, sandblasted materials, chipped paint, tires, wire, steel posts, asphalt and waste concrete shall not be placed in waterways or wetlands. Authorized fill material must be free of these materials. The applicant must remove all foreign materials, refuse, and waste from the project area.
d. An adequate supply of materials needed to contain deleterious materials during a weather event must be maintained at the project site and deployed as necessary.
e. Machinery refueling shall not occur in waterways, wetlands, or riparian

AND... you will need some kind of permit or another from Oregon DSL (division of state lands) even though there has to be some kind of exemption somewhere for temporary structures, I couldn't find it and I know that there isn't a programatic permit for recreational structures which means that if you did need a permit you would be
'fucked" b/c you would likely have to complete a biological assessment to determine if your slider may effect ESA species.....and its made of chemically treated lumber.

So what does this mean? Don't ask don't tell. Or "it's easier to beg for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission".

I'm too old to hit sliders anyways
Smile

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostTue Jun 12, 07 12:58 am     Reply with quote

Forrest wrote:
This thing is going to be amazing. If you get on it, you're just going to go crazy waiting for the ride to end...

It should be in the water by this coming weekend. Rumor has it that the Liquid Force team is showing up on Friday.

The down section still needs to be built. Still taking donations!

What do you need a down section for? Won't it just make it harder to throw in an extra spin at the end? You should use the extra cash to set up a keg next to the slider instead. Liquid courage for everyone Cool

I threw in a few bones to Phil's account just in case. Great work guys! Can't wait to see it on the water.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostTue Jun 12, 07 6:03 am     Reply with quote

Down section will be good for anyone with enough (insert reference to testicles here) to gap the top, or for the strapless brave who wanna hit it on skim boards and wake skates.

This slider is going to be good for everyone. I know a lot of you guys think you'll never hit it, but you never know! If you've ever touched a rail on a snowboard and can ride downwind unhooked, you could do this rail.

What's the greatest nation in the world? Donation!

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Jun 12, 07 6:08 am     Reply with quote

$120 more headed Joby's way thanks to a few more dedicated kiters!

Thanks!!!

G-dog

Since 04 Jan 2007
61 Posts
Portland

PostTue Jun 12, 07 7:32 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
AND... you will need some kind of permit or another from Oregon DSL (division of state lands) even though there has to be some kind of exemption somewhere for temporary structures, I couldn't find it and I know that there isn't a programatic permit for recreational structures which means that if you did need a permit you would be
'fucked" b/c you would likely have to complete a biological assessment to determine if your slider may effect ESA species.....and

Good god, how ridiculous would it be to have to do a BA for this?! I don't think DSL will weigh in on this on (the slider should be under 50 cubic yards of fill) as long as it stays out of Essential Salmonid Habitat - which unfortunately the Hood River is mapped ESH. Where exactly are you placing it and how (if at all) does it get attached (or otherwise kept from drifting away)? I'd say put the slider as far away from the mouth of Hood River as you possibly can. And don't ask, don't tell might be a good policy for people in BFE, but Hood River is pretty public. Violations can get pretty expensive, but I'm not even sure who they would charge a fine to, it's not like any one person is responsible for this thing.

If DEQ is going to get their panties in a bunch about a couple of treated wood supports, you might as well go through the Individual Permit process - I think the only thing a NWP gains you is time, which if you were to start going through the permit process for the slider right now, you wouldn't be putting the thing in the water until next year anyhow...
Just my $0.02.[/quote]
Quote:

trevorsmith

Since 25 Apr 2005
501 Posts
PDX
Addicted

PostTue Jun 12, 07 8:50 am     Reply with quote

pkh wrote:
$120 more headed Joby's way thanks to a few more dedicated kiters!

Thanks!!!

Count me in for $15..
Just can't remember which tree my money was growing on? Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: