Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Shannon's Big B'Day Downwinder!!!
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
tonyb

Since 09 Oct 2006
973 Posts
Stevenson in the summer & SPI in the winter
Bolstad Clan

PostTue Jun 05, 07 9:02 pm    Shannon's Big B'Day Downwinder!!! Reply with quote

Well, Shannie, my most favorite step daughter, is growing up and turns the big 21 this Sunday, June 10th. And what does she want to do on her birthday? A monster down winder of course!!! And you're all invited to join us for thrills, spills, and chills!!! Then maybe a trip to the local bars if you really twist her arm enough. She's not much of a party girl but you might convince her to have a drink or three. Wink

So, if the weather cooperates at all on Sunday here's the plan:

Drop kite gear, BBQ, coolers with "refreshments", brats, chips, salsa, and snacks at Stevenson around 11:00 then shuttle our pickup truck to Hood River. Back to Stevenson by noon, then start getting set up for a potential Stevenson departure around 1:00 p.m. Take 2 to 4 hours to make the trip to HR. Come back and fire up the BBQ around 5, have some brews, brats, followed by Shannon's first (legal) beer at Walking Man.

Plan B if the wind isn't looking so hot: Stevenson to Home Valley, then BBQ back in Stevenson.

Plan C if we have to go farther east for wind: Park and play at Lyle, HR, or maybe Rufus? We'll take the BBQ and coolers to this spot.

Plan D if the weather just sucks: party at our Tiki bar and jump in the pool and hot tub.

So, if you want to join the downwinder and toast one to Shan come on down - we'll supply lots of brats, chips, salsa, cold ones, and a rum cake or two. If you want something more bring it on in and we'll throw it on the grill for you.

Stay tuned for last minute changes and updates to the plan. Hopefully the wind cooperates and we can get a dozen or so kiters to make the trip together!

Tony

TWIN-FIN

Since 24 May 2006
805 Posts
Portland, OR
Hot Monkey

PostWed Jun 06, 07 6:34 am     Reply with quote

Count me in. Sounds like fun.
I have never done a down winder of such magnitude but hey what the hell, Por Que No?
Maybe this could be the start of an annual event "Shannon's Big B'Day Downwinder!!! I have a pickup if you need extra portage back from where ever you decide to go. See you Sunday am. Thumb's Up

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostThu Jun 07, 07 7:48 am     Reply with quote

T,
That is a long downwinder. Do you have any watercraft support lined up?

tonyb

Since 09 Oct 2006
973 Posts
Bolstad Clan

PostThu Jun 07, 07 7:56 am     Reply with quote

Not really. We have our two person kayak but my oldest daughter who is not going on the downwinder, can't drive the truck. If there is a wife, or boyfriend or girl friend sitting around who wants to follow the action from the shoreline they could drive our truck along, take pictures, and be ready with the kayak.

Shannon and I did this downwinder once last year without boat support, took about 2 1/2 hours, only had a couple of dead spots of no wind to work our way around. But you know with a dozen kiters out somebody is going to break something.

Anybody want to cruise along taking pictures and pick up wayward kiters?

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Jun 07, 07 8:06 am     Reply with quote

I think you just got to wing it, yes people will break down but hey your a hitchhike away from home. Very Happy

Garret

Since 07 Sep 2006
254 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostThu Jun 07, 07 8:18 am     Reply with quote

Count me in-- sounds like fun....as long as I am not the one hitchin it back Very Happy

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostThu Jun 07, 07 8:30 am     Reply with quote

If someone has acess to a boat, i can drive it.

Spike

Since 13 May 2007
1414 Posts
Alameda
Spelling Expert

PostThu Jun 07, 07 10:31 am     Reply with quote

Tony, thanks for all the help out at stevenson yesterday,
Won't be able to make it to shannon's downwinder though. Going to corvallis and eugene for a catamaran race and my own 22nd birthday on the 9th. Would have loved to do such a long downwinder. Most I've ever gone downwind was probably 100 yards through the water while tangled in my lines.

JNETTE

Since 02 Feb 2006
149 Posts
PORTLAND
Stoked

PostThu Jun 07, 07 1:14 pm     Reply with quote

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SHANNON!!! I'll be in Vegas winning some LOOT!!! Smile Buy ya a beer when I get back!!! Very Happy

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostSun Jun 10, 07 6:55 am     Reply with quote

The forecast looks pretty crappy for kting today. Tony, what are the backup plans?

tonyb

Since 09 Oct 2006
973 Posts
Bolstad Clan

PostSun Jun 10, 07 7:19 am     Reply with quote

Yeah, weather is not cooperating so far. We have sunshine breaking through in Stevenson at 8 a.m. but the forecast doesn't look good for wind. We're gonna have to play it by ear for a few hours here then decide on running out east to Rufus or trying for the late aftenoon Stevenson to Home Valley session. I'm almost certain Stevenson to HR is out. Sad

I'll post the BBQ update and plans in a couple of hours once we see what the weather is doing and get the gang moving on this end.

Tony

Kraemer

Since 24 Apr 2006
1735 Posts
Sky Pilot
Unicorn Captain

PostSun Jun 10, 07 9:16 am     Reply with quote

HB Shannon! See you at the sandbar maybe??? Cool

http://eclipsefilms.com/

tonyb

Since 09 Oct 2006
973 Posts
Bolstad Clan

PostSun Jun 10, 07 10:32 am     Reply with quote

Ok - 11:30 update - looks like Shannie just wants to hang here in Stevenson so we're heading down the beach in about 45 minutes or so to kite, set up the BBQ and apps. We've got brews, dogs, brats, chips, salsa, and RUM CAKE! If you're out and about stop by and say Happy B-Day to Shannon.

We may still do Stevenson to Home Valley if the wind steadies out this afternoon. Chase kayak and shuttle service available!

See ya down there!

Tony

anjion

Since 12 May 2007
14 Posts

PostSun Jun 10, 07 11:10 am     Reply with quote

Happy birthday! And I wish it would have worked out for you guys on the DW'er I would love to do one sometime soon.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4204 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSun Jun 10, 07 12:17 pm     Reply with quote

Happy birthday Shannon! Wish Joanne and I could be there (We met briefly in Las Ventana)

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSun Jun 10, 07 8:43 pm     Reply with quote

Sorry I couldn't make the birthday, we were too busy kooking out at the sandbar. Happy Birthday Shannon!

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostSun Jun 10, 07 9:08 pm     Reply with quote

Hope you guys had fun and didnt get too much rain. We decided to stay out east in the sun Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: